Kwan Lee

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Kwan Lee

Postby Kwan on Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:30 pm

Andy_S wrote:Rob:

Fair answers and I take most of your points. But still....it would be good to see some one-on-one sparring. Do any of your boys compete in any combative fora?

Andy, it looks like you are getting some good answers regarding sparring. I have nothing against traditional sparring (w/ gear). Done correctly, it can be used to develop attributes that can help in a real fight. If you do a search you will find some clips with Systema guys sparring with gear on. A lot of the times, even in Systema, the clips that show full-out sparring will look like brawling (or maybe sometimes kickboxing). I think much of that "look" can be attributed to the use of gear. Real strikes affect the body/psyche differently than something that lands with even a bit of padding. This is true especially for the facial area, head, and trunk. The unspoken "rules" of sparring can also serve to limit freedom of movement.

It is hard to get away from thinking your partner is a punching bag when you have gear on, when in a real situation, you are fighting the much-nuanced human being. Instead of delivering just the right amount of force and direction to overcome intent and action, the use of pads in training can condition you to go much deeper than necessary. There are other effects over time. The receiver may not respect the incoming punches/kicks as much if the promise of immediate and debilitating pain or damage is not apparent. Also, the one who delivers may over-compensate and break form due to his punches not doing "much damage." Would these habits be helpful in a real fight?

There are hundreds of ways to address the "sparring" issue in Systema in very creative, fun, and instructive ways. They teach the same lessons you would get from traditional sparring but without the ego trips and injuries. Please ask a qualified instructor near you to show you some of them during class since to put some of these on video would never satisfy the morbidly curious and might do more damage to Systema's already fragile YouTube image.

As for movements against the "1st move," since the outcomes of most fights/attacks are determined from first contact, a great deal of our training focuses on it. The goal is to achieve control, crush intent, and disrupt the balance as soon as possible, since it is difficult to regain form when it is lost at high speed. You must do this without breaking your own form/readiness. What better way to prepare for a possible second attack from the same person or attacks from others?

Kwan Lee
http://www.systema.us

Postby Kwan on Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:53 pm

Just wanted to post a clip for the new video. There is high cross-over in the material. I hope you like it.

Kwan Lee

Kwan
Santi

Postby somatai on Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:29 pm

outstanding stuff Kwan.....welcome to RSF.....really impressive movement and body control!
somatai

Postby Kwan on Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:48 am

Thanks Derek. Regarding the movements and exercises, I am getting favorable comments like yours from all walks of life and especially from those that can see the immediate martial applications to the base work.

Kwan Lee

Kwan
Santi

Postby GrahamB on Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:51 am

Kwan wrote:
Andy_S wrote:Rob:

Fair answers and I take most of your points. But still....it would be good to see some one-on-one sparring. Do any of your boys compete in any combative fora?

Andy, it looks like you are getting some good answers regarding sparring. I have nothing against traditional sparring (w/ gear). Done correctly, it can be used to develop attributes that can help in a real fight. If you do a search you will find some clips with Systema guys sparring with gear on. A lot of the times, even in Systema, the clips that show full-out sparring will look like brawling (or maybe sometimes kickboxing). I think much of that "look" can be attributed to the use of gear. Real strikes affect the body/psyche differently than something that lands with even a bit of padding. This is true especially for the facial area, head, and trunk. The unspoken "rules" of sparring can also serve to limit freedom of movement.

It is hard to get away from thinking your partner is a punching bag when you have gear on, when in a real situation, you are fighting the much-nuanced human being. Instead of delivering just the right amount of force and direction to overcome intent and action, the use of pads in training can condition you to go much deeper than necessary. There are other effects over time. The receiver may not respect the incoming punches/kicks as much if the promise of immediate and debilitating pain or damage is not apparent. Also, the one who delivers may over-compensate and break form due to his punches not doing "much damage." Would these habits be helpful in a real fight?

There are hundreds of ways to address the "sparring" issue in Systema in very creative, fun, and instructive ways. They teach the same lessons you would get from traditional sparring but without the ego trips and injuries. Please ask a qualified instructor near you to show you some of them during class since to put some of these on video would never satisfy the morbidly curious and might do more damage to Systema's already fragile YouTube image.

As for movements against the "1st move," since the outcomes of most fights/attacks are determined from first contact, a great deal of our training focuses on it. The goal is to achieve control, crush intent, and disrupt the balance as soon as possible, since it is difficult to regain form when it is lost at high speed. You must do this without breaking your own form/readiness. What better way to prepare for a possible second attack from the same person or attacks from others?

Kwan Lee
http://www.systema.us

Hi Kwan,

Welcome to the forum! I love what you just wrote. Very insightful. I find it rare that people can look at somebody else's practice objectively without feeling the need to put it down just because you do something different.

I find that people who train more for "street fighting" or "reality based self defence" continually put down the sort of training that "martial artists" do as not realistic, so it's refreshing to read your comments, which seem completely devoid of negativity.

Thanks again,
Graham
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:11 am

Just to say I really enjoyed your videos, I must have missed them first time around. Welcome to RSF!

Matthew
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Brady on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:57 pm

That was fun to watch, especially enjoy the body development clip
Brady
Wuji

Postby Kwan on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:48 am

Thanks Graham. In my experience, when you make knee-jerk criticisms from a distance, you often cheat yourself out of an opportunity for personal growth, regardless of subject matter.

And yes, it's all in the breathing!

Looking forward to your review on the DVD, Tom.

Kind Regards,

Kwan Lee

Previous

Return to Video Links