Chen Xiao Wang and Chen Bing

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Chen Xiao Wang and Chen Bing

Postby lindun on Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:35 am

This is some good stuff.

lindun
Mingjing

Re: Chen Xiao Wang and Chen Bing

Postby Frazetta on Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:08 pm

I think Bing can take his old man.
Frazetta
Anjing

Postby juz on Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:07 am

thanks for posting...

as for who takes who, maybe ask yourself who you'd rather take a slap from. Personally I'd rather take a slap from the young 'un. Chen Xiaowang's Fajin is that little bit more "nasty" at present, albeit Chen Bing's speed and "zip" would sting somewhat.
What I really need right now is a montage....
juz
Anjing

Postby oldtyger on Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:01 am

Actually it's pretty obvious that Chen Xiao Wang is more skilled--even without the bits of the "demo" where is throwing Chen Bing. Chen Xiao Wang movements are less pronounced, simpler, less weight shifting and waist movement--except the last bit where they are both so low to the ground.

I liked the variations, going from different foot positions relative to each other, different heights, and also free stepping. There's a lot of practical training by doing all that. I'm looking forward to learning moving steps with my teacher next month. Fixed step tuishou, while basic and essential, is very unrealistic.
oldtyger
Mingjing

Postby Frazetta on Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:32 pm

juz wrote:as for who takes who, maybe ask yourself who you'd rather take a slap from. Personally I'd rather take a slap from the young 'un. Chen Xiaowang's Fajin is that little bit more "nasty" at present, albeit Chen Bing's speed and "zip" would sting somewhat.

Take a slap from? Interesting way of putting it. Neither. They'd have to work through my famous "Windmill/Cover" technique. I windmill with one hand and vacillate between covering my head and genitals with the other. :)
Seriously though, I wouldn't mind having a go. Why not? Nobody's impervious and pedestals are worthless.
Frazetta
Anjing

Postby kreese on Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:41 pm

Since Chen taiji is primarily about stand-up grappling, is tui shou like some sort of archetype for the basic positions you'd find yourself when grappling a la SC and judo? Do the skills learned transfer over?
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:34 am

kreese wrote:Since Chen taiji is primarily about stand-up grappling, is tui shou like some sort of archetype for the basic positions you'd find yourself when grappling a la SC and judo? Do the skills learned transfer over?

I think it depends on how far into "stylization land" one goes in their training. If you only stick to the patterns given by your (i.e. one specific) style, I think you are limiting yourself greatly in some ways. SOME of the skill will transfer because, well, everyone's got two arms and two legs with joints that have similar enough freedoms of motion/functionality, so there's only that many "techniques" that can exist...
But the more you "open up your game" as they say, the more universal your skill becomes and therefore the more transferable it will be, IMHO.
Depends (as usual) on the school/student...
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:06 am

kreese wrote:Since Chen taiji is primarily about stand-up grappling, is tui shou like some sort of archetype for the basic positions you'd find yourself when grappling a la SC and judo? Do the skills learned transfer over?

Debatable whether Chen is primarily about stand up grappling, but I would expand your statement to say that tui shou is more like a process of generating an archetype for interpreting vectors, checking usage of self, and using/controlling force. In that sense it potentially could translate to anything you do, fighting or otherwise. I'm speaking of tui shou as a spectrum, from static stance single hand to moving step free-form that may or may not include kicking and striking as well as grappling, locking, and launching. As was stated, it all depends on how you train it.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:06 am

Bhassler wrote:I'm speaking of tui shou as a spectrum, from static stance single hand to moving step free-form that may or may not include kicking and striking as well as grappling, locking, and launching.

That's my (our school's) kind of tuishou... 8-)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby kreese on Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:29 am

Dmitri & Bhassler, I'd really like to see an example of the type of tui shou done at your respective schools or other schools with similar training philoshophies. I'm limited to my exposure to fixed step pushing and bad wrestling under the guise of "free pushing".
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:36 am

Something similar to this:

or this (if you can ignore the stupid "visual effects"):
Dmitri
Great Old One

Return to Video Links