Bagua Clips

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Bagua Clips

Postby D_Glenn on Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:51 am

Doc Stier wrote:
That said, however, it is primarily the agile circular footwork and rapidly spinning rotations of the body which generate the centrifugal, horizontal jin and external power in the Sun Style. 8-)

Enough said. ;)

Doc

Centrifugal force is yang while a centripetal force is yin. So the dragon's (Cheng style) techniques mostly move in a centrifugal manner, zhen trigram dragon is the oldest son while the Xun trigram Phoenix is the oldest daughter and most yang of the yin trigrams so it's also comprised mostly of techniques that move in a centrifugal force. The youngest son Gen trigram Bear shape is mostly techniques that use a centripetal force, same with the youngest daughter- Dui trigram monkey shape. -fwiw

Last edited by D_Glenn on Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Taijikid on Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:26 am

Bob,

I didn't upload the clips to Youtube. Tantsura did! So thank him instead.

I think edededed is right as Li Ziming from the Liang line was the first president of the Beijing Bagua Zhang Association established in 1982. The film also look 1980 ish.
Taijikid
Anjing

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:28 am

D_Glenn wrote:Centrifugal force is yang while a centripetal force is yin. So the dragon's (Cheng style) techniques mostly move in a centrifugal manner, zhen trigram dragon is the oldest son while the Xun trigram Phoenix is the oldest daughter and most yang of the yin trigrams so it's also comprised mostly of techniques that move in a centrifugal force. The youngest son Gen trigram Bear shape is mostly techniques that use a centripetal force, same with the youngest daughter- Dui trigram monkey shape.

D_Glenn:

Having read this and numerous similar posts from you previously, I'm just wondering how you have acquired these trigram correlations to Pa-Kua Chuan postures? Is it possible for you to validate them in your practice, and if so, in what way?

I'm also wondering how such correlations influence your physical movements, if at all?

Doc :)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:47 pm

Taijikid:

Appreciate the postings regardless of who discovered them! LOL

Nice discussion here.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:12 pm

Doc Stier wrote:
D_Glenn:

Having read this and numerous similar posts from you previously, I'm just wondering how you have acquired these trigram correlations to Pa-Kua Chuan postures? Is it possible for you to validate them in your practice, and if so, in what way?

I'm also wondering how such correlations influence your physical movements, if at all?

Doc :)

A lot of the trigram connections are hidden in the songs but most of it comes from my notes taken during lectures given by my bagua teachers, only it is simply just notes until I physically practiced the animals and ingrained their different shenfas over the years that real connections started to become evident. There's so much more beyond just this though when you start getting into the actual different forces and other aspects. The relations are not so much evident in 'posture' but only really correlates to the actual 'physical movements', which then starts to answer the question of why is this different than that, and why use one thing rather than the other and how that affects the overall strategy. It really is amazing how DHC structured his whole system once you start to see the whole picture.

Too get an idea one could start to watch and practice the animals that have been documented to this point: http://www.traditionalstudies.org/websi ... imals.html -the dragon, bear, phoenix, and lion. The lion compared to the others is not so much centrifugal or centripetal but more of like a circular orbit. These sort of differences develop changes in the body movement and dictate slight differences in the fighting ranges and changes in strategy which then starts to relate to one's personal preferences or where they feel comfortable, so you have different trigrams and systems that are suited to different body types and ways that people fight which is why DHC taught his other students different aspects of the whole art.

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links