Common but Useless Taiji App

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Common but Useless Taiji App

Postby middleway on Sat May 16, 2009 6:13 am

..i am so looking forward to starting the 'impractical tai chi chuan' school...

Im sold ... it just sounds so exotic it must be good ... like a strange riddle in the name hiding a deep practicality!! Dont forget to (TM) this one!!! :D
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Methods on Sun May 17, 2009 4:29 pm

I was taught that this is an elbow to the rib, hip or arm with follow through.
I was never taught by my teacher to hold a wrist or hand and throw, although this is how I demonstrated it in the past to get the motion, so maybe its one of those things that we cant get away from, incompetent teachers only teaching what they THINK they know.
Methods
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Mon May 25, 2009 7:30 am

SNIP
I was taught that this is an elbow to the rib, hip or arm with follow through.
SNIP

Eh? The follow through would be in the opposite direction to the strike!
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Mon May 25, 2009 9:03 am

Master Chen Yuen San demonstrated this application for us this weekend. No throws, But he describes the strike usage thus ....... hit 'they dead'.

i think that says it all.

Chris
Me

middleway
Wuji

Postby RobP2 on Mon May 25, 2009 9:15 am

middleway wrote:Master Chen Yuen San demonstrated this application for us this weekend. No throws, But he describes the strike usage thus ....... hit 'they dead'.

i think that says it all.

Chris

Serious question - how does he know? Not knocking him, but I remember some of those "death point" guys saying you could kill someone three times over with their "deadly" techniques. I once asked one how many people he had killed and he wasn't best pleased. So I'm not asking for a scorecard but would be interesting to know what he bases that on

cheers

Rob
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Mon May 25, 2009 10:05 am

Well..by indirect deduction...

Alex spent three years getting his body back together, caused buy a "strike with quite a bit of intent".

Alex speaks highly of Chen, and has mentioned his ability to strike once, and its all over.

I take his word for it. :)
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Mon May 25, 2009 10:47 am

Methods wrote:I was taught that this is an elbow to the rib, hip or arm with follow through.
I was never taught by my teacher to hold a wrist or hand and throw, although this is how I demonstrated it in the past to get the motion, so maybe its one of those things that we cant get away from, incompetent teachers only teaching what they THINK they know.

classic example of not being held by static adherence to form , the same technique , if you hold the wrist , maybe you break the arm at the elbow, maybe you chin na , maybe you do throw , maybe youdon't catch the wrist and you shoulder the pit , elbow the ribs and throw who knows what damage you do with any given technique in any given situation, no useless apps just poor apps
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby middleway on Mon May 25, 2009 2:16 pm

Serious question - how does he know? Not knocking him, but I remember some of those "death point" guys saying you could kill someone three times over with their "deadly" techniques. I once asked one how many people he had killed and he wasn't best pleased. So I'm not asking for a scorecard but would be interesting to know what he bases that on

cheers

Rob

hi Rob,

This certainly wasnt a 'dimmak' type 'hit this point and killed the guy' type application. Master Chen sucked the opponent in, then cut across his throat. I felt a little of master Chens speed and power and it was really quite special, certainly very different to the norm. I am in no doubt you would be at least fighting for your life with this application.

From what look like little tiny taps i walked away from some fairly basic application with a possibly fractured wrist, a very sore neck, aches and pains all over the place and some rather strange bruises... his stuff aint the normal Taiji people know and love TBH.

changing the subject slightly ... but still about master chen. He had the uncanny ability to make me seriously out of breath after just a few minutes of play. for some reason you just stop breathing when he applies his stuff. Now i can run flat out for 3 miles, I can cover alot of miles with a heavy backpack ... have done hill sprint training, done a fair amount of sparring, fight training, grappling I have done work with controlling my breathing and how to use my breath in certain ways etc. I am fairly cardiovascularly fit .... but still was huffing and puffing after literally a couple of minutes. I have no idea how he did that. He does it to everyone apparently. very strange!

anyways ... back to the thread.

All the Best

chris
Last edited by middleway on Mon May 25, 2009 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Me

middleway
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon May 25, 2009 2:48 pm

middleway wrote:
changing the subject slightly ... but still about master chen. He had the uncanny ability to make me seriously out of breath after just a few minutes of play. for some reason you just stop breathing when he applies his stuff. Now i can run flat out for 3 miles, I can cover alot of miles with a heavy backpack ... have done hill sprint training, done a fair amount of sparring, fight training, grappling I have done work with controlling my breathing and how to use my breath in certain ways etc. I am fairly cardiovascularly fit .... but still was huffing and puffing after literally a couple of minutes. I have no idea how he did that. He does it to everyone apparently. very strange!

All the Best

chris

I don't know about all this kill you with one touch business, but the above is something I'm very familiar with from push hands with my seniors and teacher. They're smiling and you're panting! It's not mystical magic though - it's a high level of skill. I've had it explained to me as "I'm just using a lot less effort than you", and I think that's very true.

This may be a side-issue, but i think it's a lot more useful to talk about than how many people so and so has killed with a single strike (or not), but that was a side issue to this thread anyway... ;D

Anyway - how many people has Vlad killed? Ok.... don't answer that! :o Or put it this way... put Master Chen in the UFC - would he get his arse kicked?
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby A Practitioner on Mon May 25, 2009 3:15 pm

Last edited by A Practitioner on Mon May 25, 2009 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Practitioner
Santi

Postby yusuf on Mon May 25, 2009 5:32 pm

middleway wrote:From what look like little tiny taps i walked away from some fairly basic application with a possibly fractured wrist, a very sore neck, aches and pains all over the place and some rather strange bruises... his stuff aint the normal Taiji people know and love TBH.

..so is it taichi?
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Mon May 25, 2009 6:27 pm

Also...considering his skill reputation, just being near the guy while he explains something on you will make you nervous, and hold your breath in case you think a hit is coming. That counts for something i think.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Mon May 25, 2009 6:59 pm

These skills look quite formidable is this the Chen Yuen you speak of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HVDQxOzInw
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby AllanF on Mon May 25, 2009 8:28 pm

GrahamB wrote:
middleway wrote:

All the Best

chris

I don't know about all this kill you with one touch business, but the above is something I'm very familiar with from push hands with my seniors and teacher. They're smiling and you're panting! It's not mystical magic though - it's a high level of skill. I've had it explained to me as "I'm just using a lot less effort than you", and I think that's very true.

This may be a side-issue, but i think it's a lot more useful to talk about than how many people so and so has killed with a single strike (or not), but that was a side issue to this thread anyway... ;D

Anyway - how many people has Vlad killed? Ok.... don't answer that! :o Or put it this way... put Master Chen in the UFC - would he get his arse kicked?

yup with Graham on this one; the reason people get out of breath and sweat etc it simply because they don't know/understand how to relax properly. It is as simple as that. No magic, no super secret gongfu just he can relax better than you. A clear indication of this is the breath stopping when he does something. You are fear it so you tense, if you tense he can do it easily.
AllanF

Postby GrahamB on Mon May 25, 2009 11:13 pm

Well, to be fair, it's not just that we don't know how to relax properly - it's very hard to relax when somebody is effortlessly kicking your ass! Or when you feel you are constantly teetering on a precipice and about to fall a long way down. When I'm getting a massage I have zero problem relaxing properly ;D
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon May 25, 2009 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links