Sonny Umpad

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Sonny Umpad

Postby CaliG on Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:48 pm

Last edited by CaliG on Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Re: Sonny Umpad

Postby bailewen on Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:03 am

I took a class with her last year. I friend of mine who was also a student of Sonny's took me over. Very nice group with first rate skills. If I was still in the bay area, since my old Kali teacher is now in LA, I would totally consider joining them on a more long term basis.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:44 pm

Omar (bailewen) wrote:I took a class with her last year. I friend of mine who was also a student of Sonny's took me over. Very nice group with first rate skills. If I was still in the bay area, since my old Kali teacher is now in LA, I would totally consider joining them on a more long term basis.

Yeah I have also trained along side some of his students too and I've heard nothing but great things about him. I had hoped to check him out someday.

It is cool to finally see him move though. He reminds me a lot of my Wu teacher. No wasted movements, just very direct.
Last edited by CaliG on Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CaliG

Postby fuga on Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:09 pm

Great video. I've trained with Maija and really enjoyed the experience. Not enough time to keep up with everything that I want to do.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:16 pm

On a related note, check out this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB_vUA0e ... re=related

The most useful thing I took away from her class and from my hanging out with another of Sonny's students was the "pendulum footwork" and a couple of associated drills. I think this thing with the tennis ball is pretty brilliant for solo training.

I believe that this is the skill he is practicing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELWEjSFW ... annel_page
Last edited by bailewen on Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.xiangwuhui.com

bailewen
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:21 am

Omar (bailewen) wrote:On a related note, check out this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB_vUA0e ... re=related

The most useful thing I took away from her class and from my hanging out with another of Sonny's students was the "pendulum footwork" and a couple of associated drills. I think this thing with the tennis ball is pretty brilliant for solo training.

In yin style bagua we have the same practice for training the legs and kicks but we use a little bag about the same size as the tennis ball that's filled with cotton, so that when you can kick it hard it doesn't bounce all over the place.
Last edited by D_Glenn on Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:20 pm

Kind of defeats the pupose of the footwork that way.

There's a pretty good reason why it's called "pendulum" footwork. Based on my own very meager experience with it, "kicking" the ball is not what's called for.
www.xiangwuhui.com

bailewen
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:46 pm

The first article on this page goes into more detail about the use of the pendulum for training purposes.

http://www.visayaneskrima.com/articles.html
fuga
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:04 pm

Omar (bailewen) wrote:Kind of defeats the pupose of the footwork that way.

There's a pretty good reason why it's called "pendulum" footwork. Based on my own very meager experience with it, "kicking" the ball is not what's called for.

Yeah that was my point, it doesn't appear he's trying to kick it but it still bounces off his foot since it is a rubber ball.

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:50 pm

Oh. I guess I see what you are getting at. I could also see where the rubber ball would add a level of difficulty too though. Since he's trying to blend with the movement the bounciness could also serve as a sort of feedback.
www.xiangwuhui.com

bailewen
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:09 pm

Omar (bailewen) wrote:Kind of defeats the pupose of the footwork that way.

But you can also look at the ball as a target for kicks. It's knee high. I generally have used the tennis ball at a higher height to simulate targeting of the fist (hand that holds the blade).

The thing with the pendulum training as I understand is that you can use it for working different stuff - footwork, body movement and striking (whether with blade, hand or foot). And often the pendulum is not a tennis ball but rather a window sash counterweight, thus does not bounce. I really think the tennis ball is meant to simulate a fist or knee. Maija also showed me how sometimes Sonny would set up three balls - one at hand height, one at hip height, and another at knee height, and actually fixed with a weight at the bottom so that it would not pendulum.

It's a great training tool.

-pete
fuga
Great Old One

Return to Video Links