Liang baguazhang

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Liang baguazhang

Postby everything on Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:25 pm

Just noticed this posted.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: Liang baguazhang

Postby SPJ on Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:08 pm

liang zhen pu -> li zi min -> zhang chuan liang

thanks for posting.
SPJ
Wuji

Postby SPJ on Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:14 pm

SPJ
Wuji

Postby Hakkesho on Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:36 pm

Zhang Quan liang... It's just a shame that he's the only Liang pai guy from Li Zi Ming lineage who has published vids. He's not the most representative and if I can say so, not the most top-notch, but that's how it his.
Hakkesho
Mingjing

Postby edededed on Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:08 am

He's not the only one, but he has published the most by far (books as well). As usual, the best folks seem not to be so prolific.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Hakkesho on Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:03 am

Indeed, Ma Chuan Xu and Li Gong Cheng to name a few, eventhough Li Gongcheng published a serie of books but only in China. A few of Guo Gumin's lineage are also really good but very quiet and they keep to themselves.
Hakkesho
Mingjing

Postby edededed on Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:20 am

Another Liang style practitioner, I guess? :D Welcome aboard!
edededed
Great Old One

Postby JoseFreitas on Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:21 am

I will admit I am not too keen on this Zhang Quan Liang guy. His forms look sloppy and his videos star this amazing nincopoop of an assistant who insists on looking ridiculous by throwing himself around defying all laws of physics (even Zhang sometimes seems annoyed).

But...

1. I LIKE his applications a lot, especially on the 64 Liu dekuan video. Pretty good and great movement.

2. I'll grant him this: his are the BEST videos on supplementary training material I have seen (Park Bok Nam's are very good but more limited in a sense). He has footwork drills, qigong sets, standing qigong exercises, palm strike drills, two person drills, circle walking training, whole body training exercises and even forms that bring everything together in a neat package. They are also applicable to most styles of Bagua out there, and any practitioner will be easily able to recognize most of the material, it's just that it's so well organized. I've been stealing it for years and training it, and it's great.

(Note: I'm a practitioner of Cheng style and Jiang Rong Qiao's Original form).
JoseFreitas
Anjing

Postby Hakkesho on Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:23 am

Ed

Yes I am a Liang style and Gao style practitioner.

Jose

His applications for the 64 are very simple and sometimes not good but then, that's my point of view. He changed quite a lot of things, or he interprets them differently, I don't know.
Hakkesho
Mingjing

Postby edededed on Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:52 am

Hmm - Gao Yisheng or Gao Ziying? ;)

Liang style does include a lot of supplementary drills and methods; there are many more not found on the videos, and some look somewhat changed, as Hakkesho said.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby JoseFreitas on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:44 am

The 64 Hands I know comes from Liu jingru (partially taught by Fran Allen too). So it's different from what Zhang shows. But I still liked his stuff, and sometimes simple is good.

As for the drills and supplementary material, I appreciate the fact that in a panorama filled with "forms" videos, it's pretty good too have foundational material, and I also appreciate the fact that the material is well-organized into easy to remember drills and lines of movements. I think it's the kind of stuff that will benefit practioners of any style (ie. me, for instance!).

Having said that I'm not a huge fan of Zhang. But the material he presents is good. There's a distinction. Sometimes it's not necessary for the presenter to be exceptional to be able to get a lot out of a video.
JoseFreitas
Anjing

Return to Video Links