Competition accident: Headlock throw to leg break

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Competition accident: Headlock throw to leg break

Postby everything on Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:24 pm

the guy in black was judo 3 dan? i thought red was actually winning most of the takedowns before the accident.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby CaliG on Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:45 pm

everything wrote:the guy in black was judo 3 dan? i thought red was actually winning most of the takedowns before the accident.

Yeah it seems that way. I too had figured the guy in red was the judoka but it turns out he was a BJJ guy.

On another forum guys are arguing that if the guy in red had done more judo perhaps this wouldn't have happened.

I agree with JW that as soon as you have 400 pounds in the air if you fall wrong something is going to break. Sacrifice type throws are still among my favorite, but at the competition level or in a fight they can be dangerous if the other guy tries to fight the throw too much. But that's always the risk you take in competitions...
Last edited by CaliG on Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CaliG

Postby everything on Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:14 pm

CaliG wrote:On another forum guys are arguing that if the guy in red had done more judo perhaps this wouldn't have happened. .

bjj guys never seem to want to learn falling or even throwing. heck a lot of judoka don't seem to want to learn falling. everyone starting out should probably be forced to do that for 2 months at least.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:17 pm

Now you can see the practicality of the octagon, a corner clinch should have been broken by the ref, no room to work.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:52 pm

i thought people deliberately force clinches against the fence to eliminate space for sprawling counters to single leg, etc.
everything
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:10 pm

In thecage there are no acute angles like the corner of the ring ,there is room for both combatants to maneuver.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links