Competition accident: Headlock throw to leg break

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Competition accident: Headlock throw to leg break

Postby CaliG on Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:09 am

Last edited by CaliG on Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
CaliG

Re: Competition accident: Headlock throw to leg break

Postby CaliG on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:09 am

What went wrong in this throw?
CaliG

Postby cerebus on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:46 am

Dude in red landed with his leg bent underneath himself. That can be ouchy...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:47 am

Oh, and nothing went wrong with the throw, that was just fine. It was the landing that went a bit wrong.
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:58 am

Looks like he underestimated how much control the other guy (the thrower) had over his body, and thought he could establish a base with that leg... Tried to "catch the ground" with that foot instead of tucking it under and rolling (maybe even using the momentum and "exaggerating" it to turn it into a type of a sacrifice throw, but I realize that's much easier said than done...)

Yaouch... That's probably a knee replacement right there. :-X
Last edited by Dmitri on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:53 am

no leverage just brute strength
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby CaliG on Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:09 pm

On another forum they blamed the thrower for the accident. That he didn't brake the guy's balance and didn't get his hips across.

But also his stepping around while being in a headlock didn't help things.
Last edited by CaliG on Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CaliG

Postby Brady on Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:53 pm

CaliG wrote:On another forum they blamed the thrower for the accident. That he didn't brake the judoka's balance and didn't get his hips across.

I find it hard to blame the thrower for the other guys attempted escape, but that shit was just painful to watch. That looks like the unhappy triad (ACL, MCL, medial meniscus) and most likely more.

I'd bet a lot of money that guy had an underlying instability, and probably should have known to bail out on that one. God knows I've tried to fight through some before and paid the price.
Brady
Wuji

Postby CaliG on Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:27 pm

Brady wrote:
CaliG wrote:On another forum they blamed the thrower for the accident. That he didn't brake the judoka's balance and didn't get his hips across.

I find it hard to blame the thrower for the other guys attempted escape, but that shit was just painful to watch. That looks like the unhappy triad (ACL, MCL, medial meniscus) and most likely more.

I'd bet a lot of money that guy had an underlying instability, and probably should have known to bail out on that one. God knows I've tried to fight through some before and paid the price.

I agree with what you and Troy are saying that's why I posted it here. I wanted to see if I was alone.

It's hard to blame an accident like this on the guy doing the throw. Because if the judoka just went with it he'd be alright.

I hear he got that leg amputated.

Can any SC guys tell us the proper way to get out of a headlock/hipthrow attempt?
Last edited by CaliG on Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CaliG

Postby Brady on Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:32 pm

AMPUTATED?! That's ridiculous, should be able to salvage more than that with modern surgery.

I can't even watch that video again due to sympathy pains, blew out my knee wrestling a couple times and it just scares me.
Brady
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:36 am

When your lose your balance, the best way is to "release your grip and try to land as comfortable as possible". Since the ground game involved, people don't want to release their grip even when they lose their balance, accident like this could occur. It only takes one accident like this to ruin your whole life. This is why the injury rate in Judo is always higher than the injury rate in SC. Since in SC tournament, people don't use sacrisfice throw very much, When you opponent throws you and still remains standing, you will have all the space that you need to "land safely". Also since peole always release grip on time, the injury rate is very low in SC. If your opponent releases his grip, you can use your grip to help him to land safely. If your opponent hangs on, he just drags you down with him even if you try to remain standing.

This is very funny issue. SC is more combat intend, but the rules is much safer. Judo is more sport intend, but the rules is much more dangerous.

Again this is a good example that sacrisfice throw has higher "combat value" (1-1) and that's for sure.
Last edited by johnwang on Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:45 am

Don't know SJ , but as soon as they clinched red should have locked his arms around blacks wrists , making it easy to control blacks body movement.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:00 pm

Wanderingdragon wrote:Don't know SJ , but as soon as they clinched red should have locked his arms around blacks wrists , making it easy to control blacks body movement.

You are right. Head lock and waist control should always come in pair. Actually most people think that waist control will have the upper hand because you can pick your opponent off the ground.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:16 pm

It looked like red thought he could ride the throw. It can work against standard grips on a jacket against an up and over kind of throw. I guess there is space for the head and body to go up and around to a good landing position in that case, and in this case given the headlock there was not. Painful just to think about it.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby CaliG on Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:21 pm

Brady wrote:AMPUTATED?! That's ridiculous, should be able to salvage more than that with modern surgery.

I can't even watch that video again due to sympathy pains, blew out my knee wrestling a couple times and it just scares me.

My bad....
The leg was nearly amputated as a result of when the tibia and fibula sheared at the knee.
The judo 3 dan throwing his opposition quoted after, he "wasn't worried about being tackled because of his skills and conditioning."
CaliG

Next

Return to Video Links