judoka and kendoka go at it

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: judoka and kendoka go at it

Postby shawnsegler on Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:39 pm

Cool, although you'd think with all that gear, that they switch ranges less akwardly. It might have something to do with points if that's what their doing. Nice intent though.

Maybe Meynard drop in and comment seeing as this is just his sort of thing.

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Teazer on Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:16 pm

Hilarious. I've never seen armbars used to end a 'sword' fight before! Are you sure it's judo guy vs kendo guy though? The youtube comments are all about two judoka.

edit: ok, looks like the two judo guys having a go at each other to start with, then hacking away at kendo people after.
Last edited by Teazer on Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:09 am

One is definitely kendoka and the taller one is definitely judoka. I know because of the foot work and the way they hold sword/shinhai. But the kendoka do lack the zanshin needed in sword fight, which means it an't over till the fat mother sing.

Had the sword being real, the judoka is long dead from man strike and door cut. Really dont understand the purpose of this training. :-\

Over
Last edited by Overlord on Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overlord

Postby yusuf on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:55 pm

absolutely.. the first time the shinai touches properly the fight should be stopped and reset at distance...
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Nick C on Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:47 pm

Seems all the guy in the sweatpants wanted to do was continually whack someone with a stick, then go in for a sucker grapple. Not quite sure what anyone was doing there...They are supposed to be practicing sword fighting arent they? like sharp Katanas? At one point he even captures a sword under his arm pit lol!
Nick C
Anjing

Postby Josealb on Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:31 am

This isnt training, this is "going at it".

Wrong choice for the Kendoka. This is just a training method for him, to sharpen him up for real sword play....and the judo man doesnt train this way, so the Shinai would be like a real weapon for him (Grappling, whacking away without regard of a steel sword counter, grabbing the shinai on its "edge" for convenience, etc)

Im a fan of going at it from time to time. You dont train anything, but its a great measuring stick to gauge where your skill is heading. Theres a quote from serge augier i like, on one of Kozma's books, dont remember which one right now..."if you want to see how your training is going, look at your fighting".
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Chowfarn on Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:12 pm

Like it was said before - the Judoka treats does not treat the shiani as a sword.

All Pre-WW2 Kendo had foot sweeps & grappling - before they turned it into a 'sport'.

This style of Kendo is still used by the Police dojo's when training.

The saying among foreign Kendoka visiting these dojo' is:
'You'll either be very inspired or very affraid !"
Chowfarn
Anjing

Postby Chowfarn on Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:08 am

When I was heavily into Kendo - nearly all the top Kendoka that visited Australia were Police.
I seem to remember that most of the Police Kendoist were from Riot divison.
As to if it is part of regular Police training or just big socially - I don't know.

National Geographic had a good doco on a Police Kendoka trying for his 8th dan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXMfPPWkMVY
It shows him training at the Police dojo.

The Police were instrustmental in saving parts Kenjitsu & turned it into Kendo around the 1890 when the Sammuari arts were on the stink.
Chowfarn
Anjing

Postby vadaga on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:16 pm

Tom wrote:
Chowfarn wrote:
All Pre-WW2 Kendo had foot sweeps & grappling - before they turned it into a 'sport'.

This style of Kendo is still used by the Police dojo's when training.

That's interesting. Do police dojos in Japan actively train kendo, then?

What do police dojos use for unarmed combat training? I'd read that some metropolitan police forces train Yoshinkan aikido, and at least one uses Tomiki aikido.

I wanna say that I remember it being a requirement that all police must train either Judo, Kendo or Aikido...I heard this from a friend of mine in Japan, I will check with him to confirm...
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Return to Video Links