Nice Taijiquan/CMA clip

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Nice Taijiquan/CMA clip

Postby Fubo on Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:00 pm

Taijiquan that's good straight out of the box, no extra parts needed! Sad that there are so few TJQ schools around with such a program.
Last edited by Fubo on Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fubo
Wuji

Re: Nice Taijiquan/CMA clip

Postby C.J.Wang on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:32 pm

In the clip, the commentator states, "a young person who practices Taiji for 2, 3 hours a day should be able to compete in local tournaments within a year." This is true if all the teacher does is teaching and drilling Shuai Jiao moves that can be achieved with simple body mechanics and sell them as Taiji to his students.

This type of Taiji training, while applicable, is not what I would consider high-level. It's more like something that caters to those who wish to pick up a few techniques so that they can "learn it today and use it tomorrow."
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby Fubo on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:55 pm

He's not stating that you can master Taiji in a year, but make it functional. I believe any decent martial arts school would provide you with usable skills within a year, even Taiji. There is a lot of drilling Shuai Jiao in Taiji, because Taiji contains a lot of Shuai Jiao. I didn't get the impression that they were just learning a few techniques here and there...

What is your definition of "high-level"?
Fubo
Wuji

Postby bailewen on Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:17 am

Ah...our old "friend" Li Sui-cheng.

He teaches in Xi'an about a 5 minute bike ride from where I live. Remember old "3in1" who used to post on the old board? That was one of his students.

Mainly they just learn the form really fast and warm up by running through it repeatedly for half and hour or so. Later on they slow it down and do it regular but the first stage is just running through it fast and light. Then they go right in to push hands. The techniques are straight out of the form, he just doesn't waste any time. The line between Taiji and Shuai Jiao can be pretty blurry any ways.

I'm still sticking with Shifu though.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby C.J.Wang on Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:31 am

Fubo wrote:He's not stating that you can master Taiji in a year, but make it functional. I believe any decent martial arts school would provide you with usable skills within a year, even Taiji. There is a lot of drilling Shuai Jiao in Taiji, because Taiji contains a lot of Shuai Jiao. I didn't get the impression that they were just learning a few techniques here and there...

What is your definition of "high-level"?

It's true that a good Taiji school should be able to produce students with basic functional skills within a year, but what I don't like is how the students -- who are obviously SJ players -- demoing in the clip use Shuai Jiao body mechanics in their so-called Taiji applications.

I
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby SPJ on Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:20 am

push hand exercise/practice may end with throw.

do not like comments. too many elaborations.

it just adds more confusion.

A. how to find a good teacher.

1. explain things in a straightforward, easy to understand manner.

2. says what he or she does

3. boxing structures/frames solid and flowing.

ok.

B. one has to fight or use whatever you learn within a year

or exchange hands with other, meaning to spar.

bad teachers wasted your time. close door practicing without exchanging hands with people from outside of school. no improvement.

say too much in theory, and do little in practice is a waste of time.

---

10 min comments may be reduced to 1 min or to the point.

;)
Last edited by SPJ on Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
SPJ
Wuji

Postby SPJ on Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:36 am

1. san shou

2. tai ji push hand

3. shuai jiao

each has its rules of competition. they all compliment one another.

shuai jiao has a more complete set of rules.

push hand comp rules still are evolving.

the video encouraged young people to participate county or city comp of all 3 categories.

the passing on and improvement of these disciplines are on the shoulders of the young generation.

well said.

8-)
SPJ
Wuji

Postby Areios on Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:23 pm

I realy realy liked that vid! They are doing something that is a big thing in tai chi chuan in so many levels.
Areios
Wuji

Return to Video Links