Improv Weapons

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Improv Weapons

Postby Ian on Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:24 am

Ian

Re: Improv Weapons

Postby mrtoes on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:05 am

Thanks Ian. Was interested what he had to say about using keys, I always wondered whether using a keyring as a knuckleduster was of dubious effectiveness.

Do you have any decent links showing how to use a small technical flashlight as a defensive tool?

The rest of this video looked like it could be useful but the section shown didn't really give me the overview I was looking for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB7Wlyc4 ... re=channel

Matthew
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Ian on Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:40 am

mrtoes wrote:Thanks Ian. Was interested what he had to say about using keys, I always wondered whether using a keyring as a knuckleduster was of dubious effectiveness.

You can easily verify what he's saying by taking a key in the manner described to soft wood. You can gouge out a significant chunk with a small slash. Obviously deployment is an issue, but I think that's where the popular tip of having your keys out before you get to your house or car comes in.

For other scenarios e.g. plane, bus, train, I think you want to settle for something more rapid and decisive, such as what we talked about in the other improvised weapons topic. Keys are a less-than-lethal option.

Do you have any decent links showing how to use a small technical flashlight as a defensive tool?

The rest of this video looked like it could be useful but the section shown didn't really give me the overview I was looking for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB7Wlyc4 ... re=channel

Matthew

No, I don't know of any clips showing proper flashlight use. I can see why you found that clip unsatisfying, though. No further comment :X

Btw, it's not the same video - you know that, right?

Have you tried adding a flashlight to the drills in your style and seeing what comes of it?

Obviously areas of interest are deployment, retention, and use under

-different environments and conditions (e.g. limited visibilty),
-the various physical ranges (e.g. 1.5 to 5m - opponent at arm's distance or able to encroach on you from a short run-up; 5 to 15m - unable to reach you but still in your sphere of awareness)
-the three temporal 'ranges' (before something happens, while it's happening, after it has happened)

You might also want to check out Strategies of Low-Light Engagements by Ken J Good: http://www.strategosintl.com/reading.html

It's more to do with flashlight + firearms, but from what I've read it's good.

^Just the random opinions of a noob :)
Last edited by Ian on Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Postby mrtoes on Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:47 am

Hi Ian,

Ian wrote:You can easily verify what he's saying by taking a key in the manner described to soft wood. You can gouge out a significant chunk with a small slash. Obviously deployment is an issue, but I think that's where the popular tip of having your keys out before you get to your house or car comes in.

Yeah, I was surprised that just slashing my arm lightly with it hurt quite a bit. Real nasty with the eyes! Possibly quite fiddly to use under stress though - I think I'd have to drill that particular tool quite a bit before I could do much with it. Doesn't really fit into my existing method.

Ian wrote:No, I don't know of any clips showing proper flashlight use. I can see why you found that clip unsatisfying, though. No further comment :X

Btw, it's not the same video - you know that, right?

Yup I just found it because it was published by the same user, but I realise it has no connection beyond that. It reminded me of those slow motion CMA application videos, stuck in lala land.

Ian wrote:Have you tried adding a flashlight to the drills in your style and seeing what comes of it?

Obviously areas of interest are deployment, retention, and use under

-different environments and conditions (e.g. limited visibilty),
-the various physical ranges (e.g. 1.5 to 5m - opponent at arm's distance or able to encroach on you from a short run-up; 5 to 15m - unable to reach you but still in your sphere of awareness)
-the three temporal 'ranges' (before something happens, while it's happening, after it has happened)

To be honest Ian, I haven't really done any RBSD work so it hasn't had the chance to slot into drills so to speak (checking out the Systema class in London is on my todo list, unfortunately it totally clashes with my hsing i classes). I have had a chance to play about with my flashlight myself though. I really like it and I think it as a lot of possibilities. It fits easily into a pocket and can be deployed and used very quickly if you don't have too much rubbish in there. If an opponent was outside of immediate physical range I think it would be quite intimidating as well as disorientating as people are just not used to that kind of light - I have read some accounts where people have assumed that the person with the flash was a cop! On the other hand in London street conditions even my 220 lumen light is unlikely to produce significant blindness, as the ambient light level is always pretty high. I don't think I'd want to be pissing about going out of my way trying to shine it in someones face whilst actually in engagement, as shown in that video. Obviously this is all just intellectualising until you actually try it out with someone.

In terms of striking it fits in very well to my fist style, both as a fistload and as a really nasty hammerfist. The bevel isn't sharp but it is very tough aluminium, and would be deeply unpleasant when used against the head. As well as hammerfists it feels quite natural to use in more horizontal clawing motions. In short I think it would make an excellent striking tool.

Er on a more innocent note it's quite a nifty torch as well, I was using it to spot newts in my friends pond in broad daylight the other day ;)

Ian wrote:You might also want to check out Strategies of Low-Light Engagements by Ken J Good: http://www.strategosintl.com/reading.html
It's more to do with flashlight + firearms, but from what I've read it's good.

Thanks for the tip, looks pretty good from the sample. I'd be interested in the psychological side of being hit with light under different conditions and what the effect on the eye is from different ranges.

Cheers,

Matthew.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Ian on Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:12 am

mrtoes wrote:Yeah, I was surprised that just slashing my arm lightly with it hurt quite a bit. Real nasty with the eyes! Possibly quite fiddly to use under stress though - I think I'd have to drill that particular tool quite a bit before I could do much with it. Doesn't really fit into my existing method.

If you have your keys out already and hold them as shown in the clip, it's no different from a slap to the face (or a piquan). Or you could use it as a thumb press from contact. These are all completely natural movements.

To be honest Ian, I haven't really done any RBSD work so it hasn't had the chance to slot into drills so to speak (checking out the Systema class in London is on my todo list, unfortunately it totally clashes with my hsing i classes).

I haven't done RBSD per se, either.

Just training outside helps. Especially when it's dark or raining or both. Statistically, most confrontations happen at night so it's good to work in low-light conditions.

I have had a chance to play about with my flashlight myself though. I really like it and I think it as a lot of possibilities. It fits easily into a pocket and can be deployed and used very quickly if you don't have too much rubbish in there.

On deployment, from what I hear, getting the tool out in stressful circumstance can be challenging. One obvious solution is to have it out beforehand. Again awareness is obviously key.

If an opponent was outside of immediate physical range I think it would be quite intimidating as well as disorientating as people are just not used to that kind of light - I have read some accounts where people have assumed that the person with the flash was a cop!

Try shining it into a mirror in a dark room. That's what people see. I've brought mine to class a few times (we train at night in a low-light area) and used it without telling my training partners beforehand. Let me tell you, you never get used to it.

On the other hand in London street conditions even my 220 lumen light is unlikely to produce significant blindness, as the ambient light level is always pretty high.

Yes, I used to live there for about 3 years. Pity we didn't meet up then.

Er on a more innocent note it's quite a nifty torch as well, I was using it to spot newts in my friends pond in broad daylight the other day ;)

;D

I'd be interested in the psychological side of being hit with light under different conditions and what the effect on the eye is from different ranges.

Why not experiment :)
Ian

Return to Video Links