Aikido vs. Jiu-jitsu

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Aikido vs. Jiu-jitsu

Postby grzegorz on Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:09 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Re: Aikido vs. Jiu-jitsu

Postby everything on Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:19 pm

um so pretty good lesson for that guy i guess: aikido in its own vacuum seems to = fail. seems to work for roy harris (jkd) and roy dean (aikido + bjj) and the aikido/judo folks. good for that guy for figuring shit out.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:59 pm

I agree that's why I posted it. It's much easier to live in a bubble and say, "That'll never happen to me!" than it is to seek out the truth.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Areios on Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:45 am

wow... He actualy did realy failed. I mean it almost looked like it was staged. O_o
Areios
Wuji

Postby Ba-men on Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:50 am

Why.... Why.....Why.....

Why post this stuff when this vid obviously it's not what the Header say's it is.

I think someone needs to spend time inside a legit Akido Dojo.
Ba-men
Wuji

Postby XiaoXiong on Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:21 am

Dude this is basically what happens to all the aikido guys I've ever met when they come to do bagua. I don't know of any aikido guys coming to the bjj school, but I can imagine the similarities. I've worked with guys who have years of aikido who have very little applicable skill. I guess I can't really vouch for the legitimacy of the schools they studied at, but aikido is not generally producing capable fighters in my experience.
J
Truth enlightens the mind, but won't always bring happiness to the heart.
XiaoXiong
Great Old One

Postby pujimeng on Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:54 am

That like saying "your kung fu is no good here", without ever seeing their kung fu. Generalities don't usually hold up well in the real world.
pujimeng
Santi

Postby XiaoXiong on Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:29 am

That's not what I'm saying. I've seen videos of aikido guys who were good. What I am saying is that I don't see any number of high quality fighters coming out of aikido schools these days. There may be exceptional examples, that I'm not discounting. I'm just talking about my personal, real world, first hand experience.
J
Truth enlightens the mind, but won't always bring happiness to the heart.
XiaoXiong
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:03 pm

You have to own your own training.
I have never met the aikido teacher who could withstand the pressure I could bring to bear in an MMA venue-and that's just me an old fart. I am on something like four or five 4th dans, half a dozen 5th dans, two 6th dans, and an 8th dan. It's just not what they train for. Nor have I ever met the aikido teacher or student who displayed internal power...yet. I have been working on changing both of those things for the last several years-and its working.
Dan
Bodywork

Postby mrtoes on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:24 am

I'm sceptical about the video - the guy who posted it wasn't the guy fighting, and indeed from his comments it's clear he posted it to rubbish Aikido. So I'd be wary making any conclusions.

Matthew.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Bodywork on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:08 am

I meant to say that I have done what is in the video -dozens of times. And I share his "conclusions."
I have a lot of friends who are teachers of the art. I never see it as bashing aikido when we play. Again, it is not what they train for. But. make no mistake there are plenty of people who do aikido, who also do BJJ and Judo. Were they in the video you would see...a different outcome. And many of those people see their own MMA training as apart from what aikido is as well. For straight aikido against MMA though? I'd bet on one conclusion.
And all that said Aikido is in the process of change on many levels. From Japan to the U.S. and Europe and elsewhere. I would check in on the art in several more years.
Last edited by Bodywork on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby mrtoes on Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:29 am

Yup - I don't disagree with you on any level Bodywork. We all know there is a real problem with people doing Aikido, Tai-Chi etc for years and getting schooled by guys who have done MMA type training for a few months. I also do think things are getting better, and I applaud whatever efforts you are making to improve things. My conclusions in general with respect to how internal arts typically handle bjj/mma are broadly in line with the consensus here.

Just with respect to this individual video, there's something fishy about it. Guy goes challenges bjj peeps, gets owned, fights in tournament, gets owned, gets it all on camera, film ends up in hands of adversary, "best bits" posted on youtube with mocking lol-sp33k captions and comments. Hmm.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:28 am

I think dude probably got a BB in Aikido and wanted to test his skills to find out if he could really use his stuff. I imagine now he's been converted.

In my experience with Aikido people whenever I'd counter their applications using IMA they told me I was street fighting, needless to say I never went to an Aikido class more than twice.

Yes this happens in TJQ too but most TJQ people just aren't interested in martial arts and are just doing it for health anyway, besides there are real TJQ teachers who can use their stuff. I don't know about Aikido I hear about guys, like a man in Colorado and Jason something who mixed his Aikido with BJJ/Judo but I've never experienced it for myself although I'm sure they exist somewhere.
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Ba-men on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:18 pm

grzegorz wrote:I think dude probably got a BB in Aikido and wanted to test his skills to find out if he could really use his stuff. I imagine now he's been converted.

In my experience with Aikido people whenever I'd counter their applications using IMA they told me I was street fighting, needless to say I never went to an Aikido class more than twice.

Yes this happens in TJQ too but most TJQ people just aren't interested in martial arts and are just doing it for health anyway, besides there are real TJQ teachers who can use their stuff. I don't know about Aikido I hear about guys, like a man in Colorado and Jason something who mixed his Aikido with BJJ/Judo but I've never experienced it for myself although I'm sure they exist somewhere.

I think the video is bogus...and this thread too.

The Aikido dojo in my area is run by a Japanese guy who was taught by O'sensi himself. I think he's 6th Dan (which is incredibly high in Aikido) and highly respected. He's also a 5th Dan in Judo and 4th Dan in some form of Japanese Karate. Last time I visited their was a lot of very able Aikidoka with prowess. There is one very similar to it in the city near by... so there is two that I know of. They except challenges.... just walk in.... put your Gi on.... walk on the mat, snap your belt at the nearest guy and yell! " OSE!" I accidentally did just that! Coming from my friends Koei Kan Dojo...I forgot that not all Japanese dojo greet each other the same way! Whoops! Not cool! (My judo club is very informal...)

Most Aikido dojo that I've come across train heavily in Katame waza (included is Shime waza and kansetsu waza...i.e. strangling and joint techniques... Most Aikido dojo also do a lot of judo type randori also...

I'm a BB in Judo and frequent a jujitsu school and have friends that do both. Unless my experience in Aikido is special but I don't think so...

In my area Bagua is a joke! Am I to believe that all bagua practitioners are lame? Hmmmmm? Maybe I should search the internet, find two dudes in sweat pants, where one guy looks like he's goofing off and call it Bagua vs MMA.

I can't take these types of threads serious.
Ba-men
Wuji

Postby Bodywork on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:01 pm

Where is the dojo and who are the teachers?
Bodywork

Next

Return to Video Links