Luo in Paris

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Luo in Paris

Postby XiaoXiong on Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:57 am

Don't miss the seminars!

Summer August 2009 Northern VA area seminar info here:http://zongwumen.com/2009_seminars.htm

J
Last edited by XiaoXiong on Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Truth enlightens the mind, but won't always bring happiness to the heart.
XiaoXiong
Great Old One

Re: Luo in Paris

Postby Josealb on Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:45 pm

Awesome.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:49 am

Awesome ... Lou is so good to watch. Accurate and powerful.

thanks

Chris
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby neijia_boxer on Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:35 am

I'm comparing/contrasting videos and clips over the years, from the mid-1990s to now, and how Luo's skill visibly improves over time. That's a hard-working practitioner and teacher, not resting on his laurels.

I'm glad for real-deal teachers like him with real IMA skill out there.... contunually evaluating and improving one self and others.
neijia_boxer

Postby mrtoes on Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:42 am

Looking forward to the London sessions :)
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Bodywork on Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:24 am

I thought he was a good stand-up jujutsu guy when I went. Although I didn't see anything I haven't already seen in good Japanese jujutsu. I hear he's a decent fighter with what he knows as well.
Last edited by Bodywork on Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby C.J.Wang on Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:10 am

Bodywork wrote:I thought he was a good stand-up jujutsu guy when I went. Although I didn't see anything I haven't already seen in good Japanese jujutsu. I hear he's a decent fighter with what he knows as well.

The throws might be similar. What about entry and setup?
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby middleway on Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:38 am

I thought he was a good stand-up jujutsu guy when I went. Although I didn't see anything I haven't already seen in good Japanese jujutsu. I hear he's a decent fighter with what he knows as well.

Hi Dan,

Honest question for you, did you feel anything in the way of 'internal power' as you describe or define it from Lou?

not looking for anyone to be slated but i am just interested.

Best regards

Chris
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Bodywork on Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:47 am

The points of entry, the setups are the same, the largeness of the movements circles and changes ...no. I can't see myself ever doing that or needing too either. And where he deflects it would be more of a unasigned control then shoot-in or pivot-around. The pivot is tough to understand; the contact point is part of a continual spiral so you are negative / positive at the same time on one point and going in or entering to the back of the guy. Which is why I wouldn't ever be stepping so big, but that's a personal choice. I'd be controling the space through my connection of any part of his body I can make contact with to control more of hs efforts and be able to "feel" him move. The throw series at 0:31 to 0:36 and even the kneeing-to-a-throw at 0:38 are all in japanese jujutsu-though that knee entry has controls for the right arm and head of the opponent the way we do it- where he is using a two-on-one on the head, which is always nice but maybe too "iffy" while fighting. The body does not ALWAYS follow the head- that's a general rule that many guys will play with and you get to eat a fist for your trouble.
But hey, demos are demos! Who the hell knows what he was focusing on-to make a point at each and every one of those captured moments. ;D It's not a sample of "all" he knows or him actually fighting-he's just teaching. Good jujutsu guy in IMO

Edit: I did like the head wrap with a two-on-one to control the arm at the humorus. That was something new that I liked.
Last edited by Bodywork on Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby Wanderingdragon on Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:27 am

Like to here the Critique of :49 on, as you said Demos are demos, Training and teaching are always done in big movements the same technique in fights are sometimes not even recognized until someone draws a picture.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:59 pm

Bodywork wrote:The points of entry, the setups are the same, the largeness of the movements circles and changes ...no. I can't see myself ever doing that or needing too either.

That was one of my gripes as well but it is actually a component of the dragon style of baguazhang which has a method to it's madness but the largeness really only works well at full speed and with a quick shock or jerk. Another factor is Luo rarely seems to demonstrate with bagua's normal use of the legs which is the legs hit 70% of the time while the hands only land about 30%, or a 7 to 3 ratio of legs to hands. He knew I'd done bagua before and I guess saw that look of skepticism on my face so he re-demonstrated the applications on me basically saying "this is the real way.", and in the dragon the steps enter straight and he started blasting my knees and shins with his legs on each step, so I was like "ok, ok, I know now." ;D . (I don't think the people watching ever looked down at what was happening and are probably still wondering what was different.) It's definitely difficult to demonstrate the use of the legs all the time as it's too easy to screw someones knees up quick. In other bagua animal styles the legs enter diagonally or rather sideways so it's easier to use and demonstrate them all the time. If one does baguazhang they should know the legs hit all the time, it's such a huge and basic part of what circle walking is.

-my 2C

Last edited by D_Glenn on Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:21 am

Master Luo can do a lot more than he is teaching.
-my 2C
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby Bodywork on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:10 am

D_Glenn wrote:
Bodywork wrote:The points of entry, the setups are the same, the largeness of the movements circles and changes ...no. I can't see myself ever doing that or needing too either.

That was one of my gripes as well but it is actually a component of the dragon style of baguazhang which has a method to it's madness but the largeness really only works well at full speed and with a quick shock or jerk. Another factor is Luo rarely seems to demonstrate with bagua's normal use of the legs which is the legs hit 70% of the time while the hands only land about 30%, or a 7 to 3 ratio of legs to hands. He knew I'd done bagua before and I guess saw that look of skepticism on my face so he re-demonstrated the applications on me basically saying "this is the real way.", and in the dragon the steps enter straight and he started blasting my knees and shins with his legs on each step, so I was like "ok, ok, I know now." ;D . (I don't think the people watching ever looked down at what was happening and are probably still wondering what was different.) It's definitely difficult to demonstrate the use of the legs all the time as it's too easy to screw someones knees up quick. In other bagua animal styles the legs enter diagonally or rather sideways so it's easier to use and demonstrate them all the time. If one does baguazhang they should know the legs hit all the time, it's such a huge and basic part of what circle walking is.

-my 2C

Exactly, That's why I hate love / videos. Notice I gave him the benefit of the doubt all the way and basically allowed for what you just stated? The reason is that when I see or feel good jujutsu-like I did with him- I just "assume" there is more there and he is just teaching, this or that application that he happens to be highlighting at the time. I can just hear him saying something like "Here is where the form teaches you to move off line or enter in like this...or like that." Then later show the actual use in fighting. A good art is built on certain understanding of the body in attack/ defense. Stands to reason if you have an understanding, it remains cogent throughout the method. BTW the use of the legs is what I was referring to when I said I wouldn't acutually "do it" that way...as you just pointed out, neither would he! Good stuff!
Bodywork

Postby shawnsegler on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:19 am

And he hits like a truck. No, for real...I've been hit by a truck and hit by Luo. They felt pretty similar.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:08 am

Wanderingdragon wrote:Like to here the Critique of :49 on, as you said Demos are demos, Training and teaching are always done in big movements the same technique in fights are sometimes not even recognized until someone draws a picture.

No one seems to be interested so...I'd offer that from 0:49 it was demo of control of space and entering and striking. I think much of it is too open, that healock at 0:49 with the leg entry will get veeery dicey with only a perfunctory use of the legs and keeping the body away like that. With an opponent versed in grappling you might be in for a ride youself. It's better done as a giullotine with the body close-in and with hip and leg control of the opponent so you can "feel" their weight and tension. Best to move on to setting the hooks and dropping and choking out. But the guy in the vid isnlt fighting he is being the body for the teacher to demonstrate with. FWIW, I think the jujutsu in the teaching looks pretty straight forward and clear as well.
With the strikes, once again I wouldn't leave myself so open or use the hips so dedicatedly while doing it-but he really isn't fighting he is simply showing how to learn it. Again I would assume (and even bet on the outcome) that in a fighting application the movement there will no doubt be built on the practical principles he demonstrates in the demo. Again, he's teaching and offering a demo of how to start to learn to do it.
Bodywork

Next

Return to Video Links