Yang BanYou /JianHou: Spear and Sword forms

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Yang BanYou /JianHou: Spear and Sword forms

Postby ppscat on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:53 am

An interesting spear form, with much more alive footwork than seen previously. Perhaps Yuen Ming could tell us if they're truly from Ban Hou's lineage.

Last edited by ppscat on Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
ppscat
Anjing

Re: Yang Ban Hou: Spear and Sword forms

Postby Yuen-Ming on Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:21 am

ppscat wrote:.An interesting spear form, with much more alive footwork than seen previously. Perhaps Yuen Ming could tell us if they're truly from Ban Hou's lineage.

No, this is Wang - a grandstudent of Yang Jianhou if I am not mistaken

YM
Yuen-Ming
Huajing

Postby Chris Fleming on Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:50 am

Does any one know the function of dragging your spear on the ground like that?
Chris Fleming

Postby qiphlow on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:32 pm

Chris Fleming wrote:Does any one know the function of dragging your spear on the ground like that?

i had that very same question in mind.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Re: Yang BanYou /JianHou: Spear and Sword forms

Postby Bob on Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:09 pm

Stir up dust and cover your tracks? Sharpen your spear head?

I give up, what's the punch line?
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Ron Panunto on Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:38 am

It's to lure your opponent into a trap. You drag the spear like bait. Your opponent thinks you have been injured because you are retreating, and then when he follows to attack you quickly reverse direction and attack him.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby Chris Fleming on Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:24 am

Fair enough, I guess. Doubt I'd be thinking about strategy on that level while on the battlefield. In any case, while I know that this isn't at full speed, I think that gentleman would have been shanked in the transition. A technique that I was shown a while back was similarly called the "returning spear" which was to do exactly what you described--getting the opponent to think you are retreating only to twist into a fast counter attack. Only thing was you certainly weren't dragging the spear on the floor. I would think it takes too long to use something like that effectively.
Chris Fleming

Postby jaime_g on Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:58 am

A possible aplication is release your spear when is in the ground,controlled by another long weapon,sword or stamp
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby Bob on Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:57 am

As Chris mentions, that is also how I know that application. From the position that Chris describes it is much more efficient and quicker to turn and thrust or block. The only time I know about putting the tip of the spear on the ground is to use the spear as a reverse block---with one hand---then you turn the spear over and thrust. Dragging the spear along the ground for any distance doesn't seem too sensible, especially it is of tradtional weight and a nine foot or greater length. But I guess there is always something new to learn.
Bob
Great Old One

Return to Video Links