Internal Wing Chun

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Internal Wing Chun

Postby Ian on Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:50 am

Best I've seen yet. Fuck yeah!

Chung, if Mr. Xu isn't accepting students, then what's with all the white folk?

This is also really cool

Ian

Re: Internal Wing Chun

Postby Bill on Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:18 pm

I believe that Gary Lam claims that his wing chun is internal.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:33 pm

i like the soundtrack to the first video.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby dragontigerpalm on Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:37 pm

Really like the first clip. Thanks for posting. 8-)
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby C.J.Wang on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:27 pm

The first clip is interesting. His use of structure to off-balance and break the opponent's defense reminds me of good Xingyi. This man's WC is definitely leaning toward the internal side.
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby BonesCom on Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:58 pm

qiphlow wrote:i like the soundtrack to the first video.

The Third Sequence, Photek old skool shit :)
BonesCom
Huajing

Postby Azer on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:53 am

Interesting! Thanks!

Found a load more vids of the old fellow on this channel:

http://www.youtube.com/holyevil
"All around, dude, try to imagine cold, cause the van is kinda hot, wrap the rat in tacky coat" - Duke Duke
Azer
Wuji

Postby pingpong on Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:49 am

Ian wrote:Best I've seen yet. Fuck yeah!

Chung, if Mr. Xu isn't accepting students, then what's with all the white folk?

The white guys are students from the Sydney branch of Jim Fung's school. I believe that Tsui Sheung Tin does not accept new students unless introduced by an existing student. I think they've been there for a few years now.
pingpong
Santi

Postby Teazer on Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:28 am

C.J.Wang wrote:The first clip is interesting. His use of structure to off-balance and break the opponent's defense reminds me of good Xingyi. This man's WC is definitely leaning toward the internal side.

TST's always been renowned for that kind of thing. Kenneth Chung's another who tends in that direction. As with most things, there are pros & cons to focusing on particular skill sets.
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby C.J.Wang on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:34 am

Teazer wrote:
C.J.Wang wrote:The first clip is interesting. His use of structure to off-balance and break the opponent's defense reminds me of good Xingyi. This man's WC is definitely leaning toward the internal side.

TST's always been renowned for that kind of thing. Kenneth Chung's another who tends in that direction. As with most things, there are pros & cons to focusing on particular skill sets.

I agree. His method of relying heavily on structual power rather than the orthodox WC's force avoidance/redirection and rapid hand transitions is probably not how WC was intended to be used as a woman's self-defense art originally. However, I like his way because it's something I can relate to as a Bagua/Xingyi guy.

From watching his power issuing demos in the clip, I couldn't help but wondering if he's had any exposure to the Yiquan practiced in HK. Anybody can confirm that?
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby gosao on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:03 pm

C.J.Wang wrote:I agree. His method of relying heavily on structual power rather than the orthodox WC's force avoidance/redirection and rapid hand transitions is probably not how WC was intended to be used as a woman's self-defense art originally.

I have a feeling this guy must have cross trained in something else, but yeah nice to see some internal mechanics in this guys Wing Chun. I do prefer my WC to be more like this though.

gosao
Huajing

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:06 pm

Simply using the truth of internal power ie. proper structure and proper use of body weight in issuance of force, combined with traditional WC technique, (force avoidance and redirection) makes for a true fighting art, ideal for a person of lighter weight to use against larger opponents. As is always my contention one does not have to study Yiquan for an art to evolve to such a level of understanding, one must simply know and train hard, the true machanics of Chinese Wushu.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby C.J.Wang on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:37 pm

Wanderingdragon wrote:Simply using the truth of internal power ie. proper structure and proper use of body weight in issuance of force, combined with traditional WC technique, (force avoidance and redirection) makes for a true fighting art, ideal for a person of lighter weight to use against larger opponents. As is always my contention one does not have to study Yiquan for an art to evolve to such a level of understanding, one must simply know and train hard, the true machanics of Chinese Wushu.

I agree that high-level CMA, regardless of styles, all display varying degrees of internal quality. But one also have to taken into consideration that why is it out of tens of thousands of WC practitioners worldwide, TST seems to be one of the very, very few who've chosen to express his WC this way? Was he influenced by certain ideas and trianing methods that he's picked up outside of WC?
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby Teazer on Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:53 pm

gosao wrote:I have a feeling this guy must have cross trained in something else, but yeah nice to see some internal mechanics in this guys Wing Chun.

<<Besides learning Wing Chun, he was requested by his father when he was about ten to practice Tai Chi as he was too thin and weak. At that time, he did not really know what Tai Chi was about. He just followed what his Sifu had asked him to do and copied mainly the movements. As for practicing, he needed his father to urge him before he would go to train. It was so until he migrated to Hong Kong in 1949. At that time, in order to keep up with his Tai Chi, a friend of his elder sister volunteered to teach him. It was then for the first time that he started to listen to the theories of Tai Chi. Not long after resuming training in Tai Chi, he started to work in the Restaurant Workers Union. Therefore, he listened to the Wing Chun theories during the daytime and practiced the Tai Chi at nightime. After a few months of deep thinking, he felt that Wing Chun was more suitable for him than Tai Chi. Tai Chi and Wing Chun, on the surface, the theories and the way of thinking is quite similar. But the skill on applying the power, he personally thinks that they are opposite to each other. At that time, he was five feet and eight and a half inches tall but only weighed a hundred and twelve pounds, a little bit too thin. However with the skills of Wing Chun, it can help him develop strong destructive force without using any muscular strength. From then onward, he concentrated on studying and exploring Wing Chun until the present time.>>

http://www.hchwingchun.com.au/life.htm
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby Teazer on Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:58 pm

C.J.Wang wrote:I agree that high-level CMA, regardless of styles, all display varying degrees of internal quality. But one also have to taken into consideration that why is it out of tens of thousands of WC practitioners worldwide, TST seems to be one of the very, very few who've chosen to express his WC this way? Was he influenced by certain ideas and trianing methods that he's picked up outside of WC?

Like I said, some of Leung Sheung's lineage do this too, so it may be more the earlier students of Yip Man doing it this way, whereas later students learned more of the material indirectly or picked it up different ways for other reasons.
Teazer
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links