My first match (Bjj) at 2009 worlds

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

My first match (Bjj) at 2009 worlds

Postby Butterball on Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:00 am

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted much in a while so I figured I would put this up. Enjoy!

I'm in the black gi...
Last edited by Butterball on Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Butterball
Great Old One

Re: My first match (Bjj) at 2009 worlds

Postby Butterball on Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:04 am

My brother was competing at exactly the same time on the mat to the left, lol. Wish I could have filmed that
Butterball
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:37 am

Congrats! That was a tough match. The guy had a slippery arm. I thought you were going to get him with the armbar early on. And he looked strong, too. Good show!
fuga
Great Old One

Postby strawdog on Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:07 am

Very nice Josh. Congrats.
strawdog
Great Old One

Postby Pat on Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:41 am

Josh, nice!

and that throw combo at the beginning? WHAT! Seriously had me doing this!
Last edited by Pat on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just Let Your Soul Glo!!!
Pat
Anjing

Postby cerebus on Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:37 am

Nice! Congratulataions!
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Kurt Robbins on Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:03 pm

Nice to see you as a purple belt :)
Your takedowns have improved.
What were you trying to do with the butterfly and his leg? - Were you worried about breaking his arm with the armbar at the beginning?
Nice job on preventing him from posturing - He had some bad timing trying to get his posture.
You kept going for the triangle and almost had a umaplata, just curious - howcome you didn't manuever for top control?
Great job Josh
Kurt Robbins
Huajing

Postby grzegorz on Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:14 am

Nice Josh.

When you go the gym day after day you sometimes forget what a great sport this is, but you see a vid like this in the Mundials you are reminded of why you train you could just feel the excitement in the air with everyone yelling out moves in Portuguese.

In your throw were you baiting him to go for the single and then switched to harai-goshi? Or did it just work out that way?
Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby fisherman on Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:52 am

Nice Josh!!!
I really liked the throw into the arm bar at the beginning. That was smooth!
fisherman
Great Old One

Postby Butterball on Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:26 am

Kurt Robbins wrote:Nice to see you as a purple belt :)
Your takedowns have improved.
What were you trying to do with the butterfly and his leg? - Were you worried about breaking his arm with the armbar at the beginning?
Nice job on preventing him from posturing - He had some bad timing trying to get his posture.
You kept going for the triangle and almost had a umaplata, just curious - howcome you didn't manuever for top control?
Great job Josh

Hi Kurt,

Thanks! I really wanted the arm at the beginning but he was pretty squirmy and I didn't feel like I had complete control of it, so he rolled out. I was playing safe for the rest of the match and working omo platas and triangles because my side of the bracket was super tough and I knew that if I won this one I would need all of my energy for my second match (which it turns out I did, though I ended up losing). I knew that if I went for sweeps against someone slippery like him I would burn myself out trying to control his scrambles off of the sweep and maintain position afterwards.
Butterball
Great Old One

Postby Butterball on Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:31 am

grzegorz wrote:Nice Josh.

When you go the gym day after day you sometimes forget what a great sport this is, but you see a vid like this in the Mundials you are reminded of why you train you could just feel the excitement in the air with everyone yelling out moves in Portuguese.

In your throw were you baiting him to go for the single and then switched to harai-goshi? Or did it just work out that way?

Hi Grzegorz,

It was very exciting! The chanting and the crowd and intensity of the competitors was definitely something!

I was going for a half assed foot sweep (not sure what it's called. I guess it's not really a foot sweep, but where you lift the opposite elbow and place your foot under their knee to trip them as you guide them with your grips) and switching as they react to that. I do use that as a bait for the single leg also as I like to Uchimata off of a sloppy single leg or sometimes a double though.
Butterball
Great Old One

Postby Kurt Robbins on Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:48 am

That was a good game plan, for which I need to implement. I never know who I am up against in my brackets and I don't plan for it.
What were you doing with the butterfly and his leg - were you trying to get into a X-guard to launch a leg attack?
Kurt Robbins
Huajing

Postby ashe on Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:53 am

respex mang. nice job.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Butterball on Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:59 pm

Kurt Robbins wrote:That was a good game plan, for which I need to implement. I never know who I am up against in my brackets and I don't plan for it.
What were you doing with the butterfly and his leg - were you trying to get into a X-guard to launch a leg attack?

Thanks, it was a big division (there were 60 guys entered, so it would be 7 or so matches to win) so I spent a while prior training different strategies to save energy so I would have some for tough later matches, plus for the IBJJF tournaments they put up the brackets a few days prior to the tournament, which is cool.

The butterfly hook was an attempt to go for an x guard sweep that I like that goes right into a guard pass. He straightened his leg which made it tough for me to grab his ankle and bend his leg to sweep, which was pretty cool as that's the first time I've come across that particular reaction to that sweep.
Butterball
Great Old One

Postby Kurt Robbins on Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:19 pm

I thought you were going to a X-gaurd knee crank, but I could see a sweep there as well (Which one?) and apparently your opponent saw it too.
Are you competing in any no-gi events?
I am at 170lbs and my weight class is like the desert - two or three guys, but its all no-gi and that actually is a difference, as the Gi catagory is always stacked.
Last edited by Kurt Robbins on Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurt Robbins
Huajing

Next

Return to Video Links