tow ji bu

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: tow ji bu

Postby bailewen on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:09 am

somatai wrote:it is actually a very common fabric and way to dress in warm climates(s.e. asia, indonesia etc.....it is now august in boston and hot as hell), surprised all you worldly asia hands are not familar with it or would allow it to distract you.....perhaps it is my scottish heritage, but i find it very comfortable and it is certainly more covering than running shorts or fucking tights......anyway....."what we see comes from where we look".....besides it wasn't a demo just a short little clip that i took on the fly, personally i like to watch people move and drill, wish more folks would put stuff up always good to get ideas.

I actually am not unfamiliar with the damn thing.

I grew up in a 60's hippy-ish religious-philosophical group based out of Indonesia called Subud (short for Susila-boddi-dahrma http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subud ). That's how I ended up with this weird Islamic name. My mom used to import batiques from Indonesia as a source of income. My childhood was actually populated with all sorts of sarong looking things.

My poking fun at the damn thing is probably just my way of rebelling against my hippy parents.
Last edited by bailewen on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:30 am

Brady wrote:Does no one else here train shirtless? Ive never seen a bunch of martial artists make so many comments on clothing. I mean, clearly none of you are grapplers

Staph. Wear a shirt or rashguard.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:07 pm

the good thing about what he's wearing is that it helps the view see his shen fa (or lack of in some parts) and where he's at with his training.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby kenneth fish on Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:32 pm

Somatai - if your Xinyi Liuhe is similar to what I learned, you should be rotating around the central axis, folding and sitting into the kua, and straightening/stretching the back from crown to tailbone with the forward movement. I don't see any body mechanics happening in your video - just hand and foot movement.
Last edited by kenneth fish on Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby somatai on Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:35 pm

as stated it is a movement recently learned and i was not going after it, just feeling it out, however I would be interested in seeing it done as you describe so as to perhaps you could show me then?
Last edited by somatai on Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
somatai

Postby kenneth fish on Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:50 pm

I believe there are clips of Qian Zhaohong on Youtube demonstrating this - he is a far better model to follow.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby somatai on Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:55 pm

I really love qzh's movement, in fact seeing him online was what got me interested in training this art. I have seen most of his videos(don't recall him showing this particular movement or stepping pattern)...have watched videos of him with my teacher, the lines are different and there are some differnces in the play, but i agree that he is a great model to follow in terms of being a great player. If you have trained this art then you know how bloody hard it is, i am just muddling my way through, but loving it.
Last edited by somatai on Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
somatai

Postby kenneth fish on Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:04 pm

Its in one of the forms Qian demos at a class in Scandinavia. There is are also some very good examples in the clip Xin Yi Liu He in Zhoukou.
Qian is a very good teacher to learn from in person - the movements are very clear and he really helps you to feel what is correct and what is not.
Who is your teacher?
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby somatai on Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:05 pm

Peng Shuisheng

heng
somatai

Postby kenneth fish on Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:10 pm

Your teacher is doing the moves with the mechanics I mentioned - I would suggest asking him to work you on mao xi lian, ying zhua ba, and yi tou shui bei - ask him about how to rotate around the central axis and also how to do shen (stretching the body along the central axis) and suo - these are really important. Once you get them down, xinyi will not seem so difficult.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby somatai on Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:17 pm

isn't that true of anything, isn't the bitch getting these things down? Are you saying this is a simple thing to do? again would love to see how easy it is.
somatai

Postby kenneth fish on Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:06 pm

I would say that XYLH is not difficult in terms of getting the big frame and the general mechanics (depending on how attentive both teacher and student are to the mechanics). Getting the finer details down is an endless task (as is true in any CMA).

I would like to point out that I am the only one whose reply was not focused on your choice of sarong - rather I gave what I thought was direct and constructive criticism - and that seems to have rubbed you the wrong way. As I said - your teacher is doing these moves with the mechanics I noted above - you have a good source for correction.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby somatai on Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:36 pm

i appreciate your not focusing on my attire and although i do not totally by your criticisim in terms of the total lack of body movement and shen fa that you suggest, i am alright with it in that i do have a good teacher and am admittedly just beginning the art....i do however take exception to your suggesting that it is an easy practice and if this is so i would love to see you demonstrate it. Not sure where you see me getting testy.....simply put xylhq is not an easy art by any means, physically one of the more demanding arts i have trained and I have a little experience to judge by.
somatai

Postby Martin on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:02 am

Not sure I've ever seen Qian teach this specific movement, but looks somewhat similar to tiger leap in here: http://masterqian.multiply.com/video
Martin
Great Old One

Postby somatai on Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:04 am

it does look similar.......different stepping and he in general has a different way of playing ji bu than we do.....the back hand is quite different than in our line......nevertheless he is always fun to watch.
somatai

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links