Liangyi Clips

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Liangyi Clips

Postby Bob on Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:49 pm

Yes, Shawn, when I mentioned in the post that I liked Michael Guen's weapons, this is the clip I was referring to. Although it is not the same as the bagua sword I learned, it seems to be a very good form.

When I checked the background of turbo whatever, it said he was 18 years old---so I wasn't kidding when I said I had no idea who he was---it doesn't matter anyway---its not that I am irritated at his preference---if he doesn't like Liu's bagua that's okay with me---but did he have to post the comment on Liu's clip? That is the only thing I find troubling but like I said, kinda self-centered on my part to believe that the world has to adhere to my values---still LOL and what I let slip by myself---all the bagua in the world can't stop those "Freudian slips".
Bob
Great Old One

Postby count on Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:03 am

I think the point is you can take something, at least one thing from all your sifu's. But if you aren't expressing your self and just copying what you see, it isn't much.

Yes, any good style of bagua is unique and can't be copied. But you can copy the teachers training methods. What you get with it should be different, but if you practice enough it might be worth a little. The mileage will vary for some.

Yes, liu's bagua is good to my taste. Should I care what some 18 year old posted on youtube about it? Come'on Bob, quit spamming up the board with wu tan clips. They've already been posted and discussed before. :P ::)
Live it or live with it.
count
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:19 am

Well Count, some things are worth repeating but more importantly its a diminishing and dying call for Wu Tan(g) to wake up and smell the roses---secret training, at some point, strangles rather than preserves the artl---its been over 15 years since Liu died and the clips [some not even out of Wu Tan(g)?] are finally coming out?

I gotta read Ma Ming Da's article on bagua in order to get Liu's bajiquan training into the public? Stillness in training and reverse breathing can be trained for---it just doesn't happen. There is a whole world nei gong training that layers onto the so-called basic training. This holds for Liu's bagua along with an explication of Liu's bagua material via the Yi Jing---it was not uncommon for numerous buddhists and daoists to visit his home during the afternoons---there are eyewitnesses. ;)

There are plenty more lengthy clips of Liu's bagua along with his bagua, mizong---I am waiting for his taiji too and I have heard, from a reliable source, for years, that there is the full length clip of his Tai Zu Quan.

I would like to see these before I set foot into the nursing home or better yet, before the first generation of formal students cash it in. :o

My writing days are numbered and at some point I would like to leave the world keyboards without the trace of a key stroke! :)
Last edited by Bob on Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Lincoln on Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:54 pm

The clip you posted of Grandmaster Liu is much better than the first cips that you posted. Liu's harmonies are pretty perfect.
Lincoln
Santi

Postby Bob on Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:35 am

Here is the 64 internal palm form I mentioned earlier:

las vegas kung fu tournament 2008
master demo-bagua 64 palms Master Jason Tsou 鄒 家 驤

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nABvS5e3 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXl_7mvU ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWaPRTUp ... re=related

We would take a "linear" form like the one below and at particular points add in specified lines or slight variations of those lines from the 64 internal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woED7nQj ... re=related

bagua fist form, performed by Phunsak Thiennviboon, senior student of Jason Tsou

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So far, I have learned to do this type of integrating in my bagua tighthand (hard palm) form and bagua leg form. My speculation is that these "quasi-linear" forms are then used for training in the bagua nine post training but this is only my speculation.

Although the names vary among groups, the "quasi-linear" forms are xiao kai men; bagua tight hand (hard palm--ying shou actually translates as hard hand); bagua leg; bagua combination fist; bagua combination hand; and bagau 12 elbow form [I hear that Su Yu Zhang is coming out with a dvd of this form]. The bagua penetrating forest palm that Adam put out on tape is one that I am unfamiliar with. Count, there may be more but this is what I know of at this time.

Thanks for the comment Lincoln and I am okay if people really don't like the Wu Tan(g) teachings of Gong Bao Tian---I understand how these things happen and I really don't have a good take on the history of the relationships among the various sub-divisions. My teacher, Tony Yang, left Taiwan in 1980 and truth be told, I never once heard him say anything bad or negative about Gong Bao Zhai and I have been around Wu Tan(g) since 1986 [initially with the late David Schenk] and from 1988 on with Tony Yang.

I think that is why I wa so shocked at the intial reactions among the subdivisions regarding Liu's bagua material---completely unknow to me.
Last edited by Bob on Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby SPJ on Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:24 am

thanks for posting.

a lot of great clips and info.

need sometime to digest.

8-)
SPJ
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links