Haruo Matsuoka: A "Chosen One" for Ueshiba's IMA Secrets?

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Haruo Matsuoka: A "Chosen One" for Ueshiba's IMA Secrets?

Postby Interloper on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:56 pm

Here's a clip of Haruo Matsuoka, student of one of Ueshiba's closest (it is claimed) "indoor" students -- a fellow named Abe -- who is said to have been one of a select handful of disciples to receive the "full teachings" of aikido. I presume this would mean that Daito-ryu aiki would be the biggest part of that, since it's what made Ueshiba so powerful. Mr. Matsuoka's students, in turn, claim that he has "it" as well. Reckon that experienced IMA people here will be able to judge whether this fellow has internal skills or not.

http://www.ikazuchi.com/?page_id=361
Last edited by Interloper on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Re: Haruo Matsuoka: A "Chosen One" for Ueshiba's IMA Secrets?

Postby Chris Fleming on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:11 pm

Looks like the 500 other aikido demos we've seen on here. Doesn't look much different than anything else aikido related, so it's hard to understand exactly what are the "full teachings" he has. Not saying that it's bad. It was very good. But obviously set up. Everyone says they practice "internal", so sure, he has "internal" skills.
Chris Fleming

Postby GrahamB on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:17 pm

Are we talking about the same Abbe Sensi who came to Britain to teach?

"It was during this time that Kenshiro Abbe was to meet someone who would alter his path. While travelling on a train Abbe noticed an older man staring at him who then asked if he was a 5th Dan Judo. Abbe replied “Why yes, how did you know that?”
“ because you have the build of a 5th Dan. So who are you? “ Kenshiro replied, “ Everyone knows who I am, I am Kenshiro Abbe, Judo champion of all Japan! “ Yes, I can see that. “ the old man replied. The old man continued to talk to Kenshiro much to his annoyance as he wanted to get some sleep. Eventually, the old man put a finger in Kenshiro’s face, ` you are so powerful, break my finger!”
Kenshiro was only too happy to oblige. He took the finger, expecting to snap it like a twig, and wham! He found himself on the carriage floor under the full control of the old man. The old man allowed Kenshiro to get back into his seat. “ Who are you?” Kenshiro Abbe asked.
“ I am Morihei Ueshiba, the founder of Aikido.” "

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45538
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Azer on Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:22 am

Nice to watch, but I think this vid is actually a choreographed fight, made for that purpose. Would be cool to see something like that in a film though.
"All around, dude, try to imagine cold, cause the van is kinda hot, wrap the rat in tacky coat" - Duke Duke
Azer
Wuji

Postby ors on Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:38 am

That was simply ridiculous.

Örs
ors
Wuji

Postby Sprint on Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:44 am

ors wrote:That was simply ridiculous.

Örs

+1
Sprint
Wuji

Postby C.J.Wang on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:38 am

Haruo Matsuoka? He used to be Steven Seagal's student for years and even acted as the villian who got tossed around in some of Segal's old movies (e.g. the Asian guy who gets thrown out of the grocery store's window in Above The Law.)

How did he become inheritor of this mysterious Mr. Abbe's inheritor all of a sudden? It seems to me that, during the empty-handed randori, he's still using Seagal's techniques and movements, especially the Sankyo off a finger lock -- a Seagal favorite.
Last edited by C.J.Wang on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby C.J.Wang on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:47 am

This is the Seiseki Abe Sensei that claims to have received Ueshiba's secret teaching. Judge for yourself.

C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby Interloper on Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:39 am

Yup, C.J. Wang, he was Seagal's student, then went to train with Seiseki Abe:
http://www.nyaikidocenter.com/Hmatsuoka1.htm
(snipped from a website for NY Aikido Center, a dojo headed by Shaun Ravens and affiliated with Matsuoka and Abe)

Here's a bio from the same site on Abe (it seems to talk more about calligraphy than aikido or IMA...) :
http://www.nyaikidocenter.com/lessons.htm

Those "no touch" throws do look just like the ones in some of Ueshiba's last films. Could THOSE be the secret-est secret teachings? Holy mackerel! I suspect (and hope) that Ueshiba wondered why people were throwing themselves, and that perhaps he understood how adoring students in his thrall would convince themselves that they were being controlled without contact. Even sadder, though, is that another two generations are perpetuating this stuff and claiming that it is an actual skill.

Chris Fleming wrote:
Everyone says they practice "internal", so sure, he has "internal" skills.

:D ... or, actually, :/
Last edited by Interloper on Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:14 am

Interloper wrote:claiming that it is an actual skill

Well... It IS an actual skill -- just not exactly martial. ;-)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Areios on Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:35 pm

Sprint wrote:
ors wrote:That was simply ridiculous.

Örs

+1

+2
Areios
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:34 am

Although I am not an Aikido practitioner, I can easily see the clear, practical application potential of the footwork and techniques. I really like the overt circularity and dynamic energy flow of high level Aikido, which always reminds me of Pa-Kua Chuan. Performed well, Aikido is a beautiful art.

That being said, I have never understood why most aikidoka, even those with authentic expertise, don't demonstrate the application of their techniques off the mats against more common types of street attack in order to validate and promote the art's martial capabilities?
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Upyu on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:33 am

Abe Sensei:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf5tBAB3YRc

Personally having met the guy and his students, I know he has some skill, and probably used to have some power.(it's hard to tell, he's so decrepit now...he was pushing 94 plus when I met him!)
Besides the mind trickery shenanigans he throws in at the end of the video, he covers some basic aspects of internal pressure as it relates to breathing ("breathe in through the nose...then hold it for about 7 seconds, then release for 7 seconds" etc), as well as arm to arm connection; the jackass comedian notes "oh you're other hand is initiating the movement!" to which Abe is like "you have a keen eye bla bla bla."
To be honest, nothing special...and his students, at least the ones having been with the guy for 7 years or more... let's just say I personally don't think it was time well spent.

Side note: There was more explanation in that one video, then I saw in the class the couple times I participated ... then again that's the JP way. Whatever floats your boat I guess.
Upyu
Anjing

Postby Andy_S on Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:46 am

SNIP
That being said, I have never understood why most aikidoka, even those with authentic expertise, don't demonstrate the application of their techniques off the mats against more common types of street attack in order to validate and promote the art's martial capabilities?
SNIP

Crivens, Doc...are you suggesting that running full pelt at someone then grabbing his wrist are NOT common street attacks these days?

If this news gets out, it is going to kill somersault skills stone dead...
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:05 pm

Crivens, Doc...are you suggesting that running full pelt at someone then grabbing his wrist are NOT common street attacks these days?

If you're an attractive woman in a bar room full of half-drunk men, it can happen. ;)
Most men just aren't into wrist-grabbing other men.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links