Throwing demo

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Throwing demo

Postby GrahamB on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:00 am

Just wondered what you Shuaijiao guys here thought about this "Shuaijiao" demo

Don't get hung-up on the name - I think they've adopted the term Shuaijiao just to mean "throwing" because it was never called that when I trained it years ago. It's a family style - more like a blend of CMA stances and locks with an Aikido influence.

It looks like fun practice anyway.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Throwing demo

Postby RobP2 on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:07 am

I think I heard somewhere that Clifford Gibbs aka Chee Soo, who's style this was, was originally an Aikido man?
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:11 am

He was (Judo and Karate too), but he claimed to have learned Aikido only after his mysterious teacher Kam Li taught him the family style. Either way, Aikido clearly influenced his throwing art.
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:13 am

yes as i understand it he did aikido for a while in the early years.

A guy that trains with me trained under Chee Soo for some time and recognizes some of my foot work and ideas (from Daito Ryu i guess ;) ) as also being present in the Lee Family system so i am sure its incorporated to some degree. I am also reliably informed that, despite some controversy surrounding his Taiji system, Chee Soo was a superlative fighter with real skillz.

regards
Chris
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Areios on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:38 am

some of the throws were good I just see a problem with the how are you getting there.
Areios
Wuji

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:37 am

Most of the throws looked pretty standard to me. The wrist control throws were interesting but not something I have been taught.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby AllanF on Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:06 pm

I thought it was alright, thought i am not shuaijiao expert. At least it is good to see they are trying to keep the martial aspect alive and well.
I have heard of the Lee family system in passing for several year but don't know anything about it really, can anyone fill me in on the details?
AllanF

Postby GrahamB on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:47 pm

It would be hard since there is so much controversy!

There's a Chee Soo biography here:

http://www.seahorsearts.co.uk/chee-soo-biography.php

Chee Soo's daughter has made a fine attempt at putting the record straight here:

http://www.wu-kung-federation.co.uk/wu- ... avinia.asp

however even here I find things that don't add up - he was learning Aikido in 1945 and teaching it in 1947? Kind of difficult since Aikido was introduced to Britain in 1955 by Sensi Abbe (http://www.aikidojournal.com/article?articleID=694). I think there will always be questions and unexplained events about Chee Soo and Li style - he was just that kind of guy I guess. He seems to have had the goods though, by all accounts. However, it's the usual story of him teaching thousands of people, with only a handful getting the 'real stuff', and they seem to have been mainly from his early days.

If you look on my videos page you'll see the Lee style Tai Chi form done GrahamB-style.
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:38 am

eh, it's ok, but not great. the upper body control is pretty sloppy. the guy getting thrown kinda flops around. it he were to just try to stand, a good half of these throws would not look so good. also the guy getting thrown has no idea how to fall--he's gonna end up with some fucked up knees if he keeps falling like he is. he keeps his legs straight and lands with his heel striking the ground often, as opposed to using the sole of the foot.
Last edited by nianfong on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby GrahamB on Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:03 am

nianfong wrote:eh, it's ok, but not great. the upper body control is pretty sloppy. the guy getting thrown kinda flops around. it he were to just try to stand, a good half of these throws would not look so good. also the guy getting thrown has no idea how to fall--he's gonna end up with some fucked up knees if he keeps falling like he is. he keeps his legs straight and lands with his heel striking the ground often, as opposed to using the sole of the foot.

Good observation about the straight leg landing - plus he looks like a hippy ;D
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Return to Video Links