SMA Kickboxing at the Long Beach Interantionals

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

SMA Kickboxing at the Long Beach Interantionals

Postby Juan on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:22 pm

Hey guys,

Well, I finally got to taste what defeat really tastes like. I lost once before, but I knew that if I had been 100% I could have beat the guy that I lost to. I knew I was better than him. Not this time, you know how they say there is someone out there who is faster, stronger and better than you? Well, I met one of those people yesterday. I have no excuse, he was much better than I was. Plus, I came in with the game plan that I could out-box him and I was wrong. My wife got to video the first two rounds. Unfortunately, the battery ran out on our camera so she didn't get the third round. I fought a second fight after this, a fight that I thought I should have won but the judges thought otherwise. So I left the tourney with two losses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czxPIMzBdgE&feature=channel_page

Here is some video of some exhibition matches that my son and I participated in as well on Saturday. I got a bit frustrated because I had to chase the guy around the ring. He employed the hit and run strategy very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6dLBWQGXwk&feature=channel_page
Last edited by Juan on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juan
Great Old One

Re: SMA Kickboxing at the Long Beach Interantionals

Postby Areios on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:02 pm

well from the outside you didn't realy got a beat down. And I'm not sure where did the first round was stoped but i think that was yours. And I noted myself to look for your kick specialy your inner low kicks. They are very good.
Areios
Wuji

Postby Kurt Robbins on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:06 pm

I need a little more time to review the footage before I can give any constructive view points - But good on you and keep on competing.
Be proud of yourself Juan.
Kurt Robbins
Huajing

Postby Kurt Robbins on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:19 pm

Ok, first off you have good technique and good trajectory - shows you work with a good gym.
My suggestions would be:
1) move a round alot more and utilize your space to find angles
2) lead with your jabs, so keep moving around finding your angles and constantly distance your opponent with jabs
3) you need to set up your combos off the jab - for example jabbin to get an angle and back slgihtly off to lead in with a 2 and wind in with a 3 to the liver (just an example).
4) use your low 9's and 10's to throw off your opponents punching game ( a lot of kicks I think might have lacked method, but good on technique) don't just kick to hurt your opponent.
5) You looked a little flat footed which I think might have muddled your footwork.
Other wise I think you did a great job and gave an entertaining fight with good heart.
Keep it up Juan
Last edited by Kurt Robbins on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurt Robbins
Huajing

Postby I am... on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:22 pm

You looked good in there Juan, you have obviously trained well.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby Bill on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:59 pm

Good for you for competing.
The first L.B. International I ever went to was in 1974. Nice to see they are still going on.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:36 pm

I think you did good, especially knowing that you did start getting sick with a cold before the event. someone said you looked a bit flat footed, you probably could of circled more towards your left and right to get off his line of attack. next time look all your fight clips and at our sparring clips and take a look at some of the stuff that works and start to implement those things more.

good job!
neijia_boxer

Postby Sprint on Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:40 pm

If you freeze frame the fight every time you kick, you can see that your hands fall to your sides. Your opponent takes advantage of this most of the time. I'd work on that.
Sprint
Wuji

Postby Juan on Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:46 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I agree, I definitely should have moved alot more. Especially when he was putting punching combos together. I should have circled out, but didn't. Lots to think about.
Juan
Great Old One

Return to Video Links