Old-School Karate 1970s

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Old-School Karate 1970s

Postby cerebus on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:37 pm

Old school Kumite. Some nice moves in there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nATJugzWTOE
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Re: Old-School Karate 1970s

Postby Strange on Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:04 pm

nice. very 'honest', non-flashy fighting
i think each stayed within the range of what they were taught and could realistically execute
i particularly like their attitude that getting hurt in match is a given... perhaps that why i say its honest
thanks
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:03 pm

Love it. I really missed out on these great times. Nowadays you have to put on all kinds of ridiculous pads to compete in a full contact fight in a traditional venue.

Here's another vintage fight:

Chris Fleming

Postby cerebus on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:40 pm

"Mister Han, suddenly I'd like to leave your island!"
"That is not possible!"
"Bullshit Mister Han Man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book..."
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby BillyK on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:36 am

interesting: observe the distance between the two in the first vid vs. the distance in the second vid, or teh distance in modern kickboxing for that matter.

in the first vid, they stand much, much closer to each other. i suspect it's because in modern times, people are afraid of getting hit. one of the reasons may be, and i know i'll get roasted for this, sparring too early, before a style's way of moving and body conditioning has been given a chance to set in.
BillyK
Anjing

Postby williamwilson666 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:48 am

BillyK wrote:interesting: observe the distance between the two in the first vid vs. the distance in the second vid, or teh distance in modern kickboxing for that matter.

in the first vid, they stand much, much closer to each other. i suspect it's because in modern times, people are afraid of getting hit. one of the reasons may be, and i know i'll get roasted for this, sparring too early, before a style's way of moving and body conditioning has been given a chance to set in.

Well, yes, you probably will probably receive some pretty merciless flaming, but you are quite correct.
williamwilson666
Anjing

Return to Video Links