Silat Suffian Bela Diri

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Silat Suffian Bela Diri

Postby middleway on Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:58 pm

Dont know if this has been posted before but some nice stuff here. Like the use of the head :D

cheers
Chris
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Re: Silat Suffian Bela Diri

Postby Walk the Torque on Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Clear
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:32 pm

I really like Guru Maul's (what kind of name is that??) work. Was just watching this yesterday.

Would really like to train with the guy at some point.
Ian

Postby Andy_S on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:52 pm

While he hails from Brunei, and clearly does silat in some of his clips, if you look at his weapons work, it is obviously Pinoy material. Looking at some of this, I wonder if it also doesn't come from Philippine sources...?

Still, nice work, wherever it originates from.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby C.J.Wang on Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:37 pm

He has some of the best silat I've ever seen.
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby Ian on Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:38 pm

Fantastic movement, but great attitude as well.

How to study Silat Suffian Bela Diri
Please Read This Before Proceeding

This is NOT a fast track instructor diploma program, we DO NOT sell instructor diplomas or certificates for a 1 weekend session.

There are NO long distance correspondance program, NO learning through instuctional videos, NO video gradings.

I do NOT sell instructional DVDs.

I am NOT desperate to have representatives in every part of the world. Those who dedidcate parts of thier lives to SSBD understand my visions and aims in spreading SSBD. The passion is what spreads the art.

I and all SSBD group leaders firmly believe you cannot learn and instill "REAL" skill and understanding over just a few session or a few seminars. You may "remember" 100 movements, you may "copy" 1000 techniques, but this is not how authentic silat is learned and developed. It should be in your body, not in your brain.

We aim for quality practitioners that could teach the art with full understanding, not instructors who got thier diploma from "remembering" techniques for thier gradings.

Like any reputable learning institution, SSBD is instructed how it is supposed to be taught, not bought. Like a lecturer in a University, I provide a service, when was the last time you heard, Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard or The MIT offering a fast track course to an Engineering Degree through a video? Think about it.

Once you understand this, you are welcome to proceed on how you can further your studies in SSBD below.

We are not the best, but you can rest assure we give our best.

Open Policy & Disclaimer
Silat Suffian Bela Diri - International Training Groups 'OPEN POLICY' expects people to individually express themselves and will not tolerate any one student or instructor suppressing knowledge in regards to our martial arts training regardless of style or any one's individual personality and any way or form.

Like any applied knowledge people tend to understand things in their own way, through their studies and experience. We cannot force our ideas on them, let people find their own truths.

Our aim is for religious and cultural tolerance between different nationalities. We do not welcome or encourage anti-social behaviours and those learning our knowledge with negative intentions. All Representatives and Representative Candidates including myself has the moral responsibility to refuse these individuals or group of individuals. But if you are a friendly person who has thirst for knowledge and the intention to contribute to your family and community then our doors are always open for you.

We are educators not dictators, but we do expect students and instructors alike to follow the SSBD's : "Mission Statement", "Purpose" and "Instructors Purpose".

We only ask for a reasonable contribution in our part, but we do not treat our students as clients, we threat them as friends. We have to be honest, in todays world, to successfully promote any event especially worldwide events like SSBD seminars - travel expenses, gym rental, meal expenses, initiatives for organizers, living expenses, etc, have to be considered. No money should come out of anyones pocket which could cause unnecessary distress to ourselves and our families in the future.

Remember, we are keepers of a legacy, we have to promote and spread it wisely.

My name is Maul Mornie. I was born in Brunei Darussalam on the 20th April 1977.

I am known for promoting a traditional silat system from Negara Brunei Darussalam known as Silat Suffian Bela Diri (SSBD).

I travel and instruct SSBD in different parts of the world to introduce Brunei Darussalam and to promote Bruneian Martial Culture and what it has to offer.

2007 was the 1st time I taught publicly. In 2008, I travelled about 31 weekends teaching Silat in different parts of the world, from the Americas, different parts of Europe, Asia and Australia.

In 2009, my seminars are booked for 37 weekends (at present) throughout different continents of the world. Bear in mind there are 52 weekend in a year.

Currently I have practitioners from 14 different countries who studies and physically train directly under me. There are no long distance correspondance course, instruction through videos or video gradings in SSBD. Not that Im saying any other learning methods are wrong, its just that some sublties in some movements can only be felt and not shown. I teach as how I was taught. I am honored that these individuals and groups of people understand that true knowledge can only be obtained through "blood and sweat" and have dedicated part of thier lives in the persuit of understanding this Bruneian Martial Culture.

I am not the best, but you can rest assure, I give my best.

Im currently based in Cardiff, Wales in the UK. This is where I travel out from when Im in this part of the world. I return home to Brunei once every 3 months for 6 weeks to be with family and conduct seminars and classes on that other side of the world.

Rather then me blowing my own pipe, I will let you judge my skills, then if you think Im good enough please feel free to leave your feedback. You can watch my free videos on the Official SSBD Youtube Channel.You can also read what the Martial Arts Community Internationally say about me and SSBD HERE. I feel honored they have taken thier time to do so.

Please enjoy my offerings in silat with a cup of tea or coffee. Dont hassle with what is different or what is the same. Just enjoy it as any other entertainment. If you are happy then I am happy.

We have only one life, dont hassle with the small matters. Live it to the fullest with passion and sincerity - and you will reap the rewards.

And please feel free to drop me a line whenever its convinient for you.

My respects always;
Maul Mornie

Seems like a righteous dude :)
Last edited by Ian on Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Postby Tiga Pukul on Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:53 am

I agree with the questions that Andy S raises. His story is that this style is coming from his family style in Brunei. Strangely you see his style change from typical kali style to sometimes a bit more mande muda type of moving. Although he has clear movements and seemingly effective techniques I don't buy into his story of 'hidden family art'. What i am also missing is some proper use of the legs (whole body movement), it's just hand movement i see.

Don't be fooled by the 'modest and traditional' sauce, he has a rather succesful commercial organisation and a smart business plan (more than 2.1 million youtube visitors). Smart guy,I give him that, and from what i heard from several seminar-visitors, a nice guy.
Last edited by Tiga Pukul on Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tiga Pukul
Huajing

Postby RobP2 on Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:33 am

Nice work
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:19 am

Here we go...

I agree with the questions that Andy S raises. His story is that this style is coming from his family style in Brunei. Strangely you see his style change from typical kali style to sometimes a bit more mande muda type of moving. Although he has clear movements and seemingly effective techniques I don't buy into his story of 'hidden family art'.

From his website:

Do you represent Bruneian Martial Arts? Are you a leading authority in Bruneian Silat?

No, I do not represent Bruneian Martial Arts or Bruneian Silat in general. I am merely teaching and spreading in my own way "one of the many" colorful cultures and traditions found in Brunei, to make Brunei better known. There are other better martial artist, known and unknown silat styles and martial art systems found in Brunei. Try viewing Silat like football (soccer), every one in the world plays it with the same rules; one ball, one goal, but every nation plays it differently, the Brazilians plays it differently then the English, the French plays it differently from the Americans, even in the United Kingdom alone, different football clubs play the game differently, with different divisions.Silat is so diverse, therefore, it would be incorrect for an individual as myself or anyone to claim sole authority on such a broad spectrum.

Your art is not Silat, its FMA.. its Russian, its Kung fu, its Israeli, its Mongolian, etc... Its a copy of this, an imitation of that, etc.

Should I change my movements just to be different? Should I change it because so and so is using it? Its an honor to be associated and compared to some of the best fighting arts and instructors in the world, but some people just pick one or two techniques from my movements and base it on what is visually familiar to them and categorize the art to what it should be. What is one or two techniques compared to it as a whole? Should I judge you or your art on just a mere glance? I do not refuse that the movements that I do are similar to this or that, we have two hands and two feet, there is only so much that we can do with them, their movements are bound to look the same. A punch is a punch and a kick is a kick no matter what language they are spoken in.

Given that Brunei shares Borneo with Malaysia and Indonesia, and given its proximity to the Philippines, it's no surprise that his style looks similar to other styles of the region.

What i am also missing is some proper use of the legs (whole body movement), it's just hand movement i see.

Would you mind introducing yourself and/or showing something better?

Don't be fooled by the 'modest and traditional' sauce, he has a rather succesful commercial organisation and a smart business plan (more than 2.1 million youtube visitors). Smart guy,I give him that, and from what i heard from several seminar-visitors, a nice guy.

Is there something wrong with being traditional and modest AND having a business?
Ian

Postby everything on Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:45 am

cool stuff and cool sounding dude
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby KEND on Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:39 am

I attended a seminar in NY and talked with Maul on the principles of his MA which broadly speaking similar to CMA. I saw traces of Filipino, Silat, Jiu Jitsu,Bagua, Systema but all working spontaneously to give a crisp, powerful end result. I suspect that, like all advanced martial artists, techniques from a variety of styles were added, but all within the framework and principles of his original art. The thing that impressed me is that he has obviously sat down and thought long and hard about how to train students, he goes over basic drills time and time again with variations to keep it interesting but still get the work done without numbing the mind[ I understand he is an engineer, that may have helped in his developing a coherent system]. As for Maul, what you see is what you get, he really is a nice guy which is refreshing in MA circles, it also seems to spill over to the seminars, there was very little attitude or desire to show off among the participants. I'd recommend his seminars to anyone who wants to broaden their knowledge of MA.
KEND
Great Old One

Return to Video Links