VIDEO REQUEST - ben lo

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

VIDEO REQUEST - ben lo

Postby ninepalace on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:56 am

i can't find any on youtube. so go into your private stash and hook it up.
Last edited by ashe on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ninepalace

Re: VIDEO REQUEST - ben lo

Postby neijia_boxer on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:35 am

Ben lo wont be found on much on youtube- he did put out a video of the form back in the 90's. there is no push hands on it just instruction of solo form.

one of his top students has a youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/capitaltaichi
neijia_boxer

Postby jjy5016 on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:30 am

neijia_boxer wrote:Ben lo wont be found on much on youtube- he did put out a video of the form back in the 90's. there is no push hands on it just instruction of solo form.

one of his top students has a youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/capitaltaichi

I think I know this guy. Is he the chiropractor that teaches in the D.C. area? Pushed hands with him a couple of times about ten or so years ago in Maryland & Virginia. If it is I wouldn't call him one of Lo's best students. But perhaps he's a lot better now. But his form looks nothing like master Lo's.

Someone sent me that "private" video a long time ago where Lo teaches the entire 37 posture form in detail. (So much for keeping the wishes of one's sifu) No one except for his direct students were supposed to get it. Unfortunately I don't have the software to make a clip from it or else I'd put it up.

It was a liver transplant a few years ago Tom.
"I kew evibady. I squeegee him - like dis. STAND me?"
I'm always careful to lift the seat when IP
jjy5016
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:31 pm

Yes David is a student of Ben Lo. I practice with him in the park often on saturdays

Cheng Man-ch'ing Yang style t'ai chi / No charge
with David Walls-Kaufman
Saturday morning
8 - 9 Form class and practice
9 - 10 Push hands practice,
Lincoln Park, Capitol Hill, Washington, D.C., 11th and East Capitol St., SE, 20003.
Info: 202.544.6035.

and helped with the website at http://www.capitolhilltaichi.com

"Dr. Walls-Kaufman is a 19-year student of Mr. Benjamen Lo, who is a senior student of Prof. Cheng Man-ch'ing."

I have done a few seminars in Va beach with Ben Lo when it was hosted by Larry Mann in early 90's before Larry died of cancer. I bought a copy of the video. I can post the form he does up on youtube but i will probably get bitched at for doing it. maybe in a few days i will just add him doing the solo form, not instruction stuff.

like most CMC people I know David is exclusive to CMC style however i was suprised he did some staff and broadsword from another CMC guy in the area Julian Chu. They practice at Carder Rock in maryland off 495 by the Legion bridge.

the group does some warm ups, 2 rounds of 37 form, one round of sword, one round of broadsword, and one round of staff/spear. then push hands.

Julian Chu's Weekly Tai Chi Practices in Summer 2008
Schedule: Every Sunday morning, 8 a.m. to 10 a.m., June 15 through August 31, Free of Charge
Direction to Carderock Park, MD:
• From Maryland, take I-495 south toward Northern Virginia. Take Exit 41 (last exit in Maryland, prior to the American Legion Bridge) toward Carderock. This will put you on westbound Clara Barton Parkway.

• From Virginia, take I-495 north toward Maryland. Get in the extreme right lane as you cross the American Legion Bridge into Maryland. This is an exit only lane for the Clara Barton Parkway (Exit 41). Caution: The exit ramp forks very soon after you exit. Take the left fork for Carderock. This will put you on westbound Clara Barton Parkway.

Once on Clara Barton Parkway, you may note that David Taylor Model Basin is on your right (the very long building). Take the first exit off the parkway, and make a left at the top of the ramp. Go straight ahead and, after passing under the canal through the tunnel, make a left at the Park Entrance. Parking is available on both sides after the entrance. After parking, walk to the picnic pavilion.
Last edited by neijia_boxer on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neijia_boxer

Postby Buddy on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:55 pm

I have some vid of Mr. Lo pushing his student Lenzie Williams around rather handily. Who know where it is, though. It would be about 25 years old.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:04 pm

If you want some short clips of his taijiquan, go back to some of the old Taste of China videos where he performed.

I thought his performances were boring then but now I know better. LOL
Bob
Great Old One

Postby ninepalace on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:17 pm

jjy5016 wrote:
It was a liver transplant a few years ago Tom.

my buddy went to a ben lo seminar a year and a half or so ago. he said the transplant was from hepatitis he got as a kid. he said ben was throwing people around no problem. and when he held out his arm "sung", nobody could pull it down.
Last edited by ninepalace on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ninepalace

Postby Bob on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:55 am

Also, you might want to get the new CMC dvd series---its definitely not for someone starting out but it is really a good map to the what lies behind Ben Lo.

If given the chance, I definitely would have studied with him or one of his senior students.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:32 am

neijia_boxer

Postby ninepalace on Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:02 am

Bob wrote:Also, you might want to get the new CMC dvd series---its definitely not for someone starting out but it is really a good map to the what lies behind Ben Lo.

If given the chance, I definitely would have studied with him or one of his senior students.

what dvd series are you referring to?
ninepalace

Postby Bob on Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:38 am

Cheng Man Ching Master of Five Excellences

http://www.chengmanching.com/

Over the past year or so, I have had a real change of heart regarding their material. I just wish, 38 years after his death, that someone would really lay out exactly what and how he trained to reach the point where "softness" could be appreciated and assimilated.

I am sure the way he trained in his young days was far more extensive than what has been talked of publicly.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby ninepalace on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:07 am

neijia_boxer wrote:i added ben lo in the this-

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8690355935

thanks for posting that. you're the fucking man for doing so. anyway you could put up the whole thing? where'd you get that jewel anyway?
ninepalace

Postby Dmitri on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:22 am

neijia_boxer wrote:i added ben lo in the this-

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8690355935

Thank you!!
Never seen him...

Definitely one of the best CMC style performances I've ever seen. 8-)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Buddy on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:34 pm

Bob,
It WAS from TOC.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Yes, Buddy, you are right, the Lenzie Williams clips are from TOC but I also think that there are some solo performances from previous TOC years of Ben Lo---I could be wrong but I also thought that one of the years Ben Lo played the taiji sword or maybe it was C.C. Chen.

The clip that someone posted on Polaris, I believe, is from Ben Lo's teaching tape. I got a copy of it in the 1990s.
Bob
Great Old One

Return to Video Links