Bagua Boxing Practice

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Bagua Boxing Practice

Postby Walk the Torque on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:19 pm

Ghost palm, Graham, Mut and Fubo,

All really positive comments. Thanks that's very encouraging.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby Craig on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm

I cant see the vids from work but I'll definitely be checking them out when I get home.

Oh by the by, I should be up in Sydney for the long weekend (not this one, the next one)...you guys keen to meet up? I copped an elbow to the knee yesterday but assuming that its nothing serious i should be ok to rumble :) Had a nice couple of bruises last time I caught up with you Conn. Need more :)

Craig
Craig
Great Old One

Postby Walk the Torque on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:50 pm

Craig,

Sorry to hear about the knee dude. Sure thing. We meet for def on Fridays; I work that weekend, but am off on the Monday (5th).
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby 64Palms on Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:12 pm

That would be great Craig. Elbow to the knee? Was your opponent very short or are you a bit of a monster? :) I too should be able to free up some time on that weekend.
64Palms
Great Old One

Postby Craig on Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:51 pm

ahh nope it was a xin yi liu he defense we were drilling against a roundhouse style kick to the mid section. you move in close and use the elbow against the quad or against the knee if you wanna be nasty to destroy the leverage at the foot...the harder they kick the more it hurts them. i was the guy kicking and my partner accidentally hit the knee instead of the quad. :(

I'm coming up Saturday arvo and pretty much have things to do straight away, I'll available Sunday morning/lunchtime only at this stage, dont think i'll be staying on till monday. I'll PM you my number Dave, If Conn isnt available maybe we can just meet up.
Craig
Great Old One

Postby Walk the Torque on Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:17 pm

Craig wrote: i was the guy kicking and my partner accidentally hit the knee instead of the quad. :(

That's his story anyway ;D
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:46 am

Nice relaxed drills, at (IMHO) an appropriate speed and a reasonably level of contact.

Thought the first chap had the right strategy: bridge immediately. move in tight, turn the opponent and compromise his opponents structure. To me this is what bagua or taiji are all about.

The second chap did not close in and close down his opponent, and in counteroffensive terms, was more about arms-length striking combos, which I am generally anti; IMHO, close range is the ideal range. And IME, if you are going to hand strike the groin, best to do it as part of a combi, or preceded by a high fake.

Beautifully clean throw at end.

FWIW, IMO, etc, etc, etc
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby TrainingDummy on Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:51 pm

Nice single palm throw, hehe. Very Wang Shu-Jin-ish :-)

Thanks - nice throw. That one is also know as Wind Rolls the Lotus Leaf

Beautifully clean throw at end.

And people wonder why I'm called TrainingDummy... :)
TrainingDummy
Great Old One

Postby Walk the Torque on Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:32 pm

Hi Andy,

Your bang on about me keeping David at a distance. The main reason is that he is substantially larger with a longer reach than me.Working with people more my size I feel confident in moving in, but if someone is stronger and larger than me, I tend to work the agility aspect of my game and only fully enter if I have the correct angle.

Re your comment on striking the groin though, I tend to fake to the groin a lot with people larger than me to see if I can get them drop their' guard or stoop a little in order to open them' up for a strike to the head.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby Walk the Torque on Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:34 pm

TrainingDummy wrote:And people wonder why I'm called TrainingDummy... :)

These would be the same people that might not have seen you choking me out :P
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby 64Palms on Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:13 pm

Walk the Torque wrote:I tend to fake to the groin a lot with people larger than me

So, by "fake" do you mean destroying your opponents chance of ever procreating? I'm just talking from my sparring experiences with you. ;D

Hey Andy - thanks for the comments, it is much appreciated. I think i was able to bridge with more ease here due to the lower intensity. Also even with Conn being shorter than me he still was tapping me on the head occasionally and managed a good trap on the arm. Hopefully we can post some more footage of different speeds and hardness and with different people.
64Palms
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:20 pm

SNIP
The main reason is that he is substantially larger with a longer reach than me.Working with people more my size I feel confident in moving in, but if someone is stronger and larger than me, I tend to work the agility aspect of my game and only fully enter if I have the correct angle
SNIP

I take your point, but OTOH, your heavy artillery is your elbows, knees, shoulders and head...and it is far more likely that you will have trained those tools than the average chap in da streetz who is far more likely to be a swinger.* The danger of the close range is he grabs you and then you are grappling. Still, everything is a tradeoff between risk and reward.

*ie a chap who swings wide punches, not a chap who swaps wives. Just wanted to make that clear...
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Walk the Torque on Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:52 pm

Andy_S wrote:SNIP

*ie a chap who swings wide punches, not a chap who swaps wives. Just wanted to make that clear...
;D ;D ;D
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:06 am

Torque:

Glad you like that. I was thinking of posting "Against a hooker..."
Services available:
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby TrainingDummy on Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:38 pm

Walk the Torque wrote:These would be the same people that might not have seen you choking me out :P

Shhh! I'm trying to sell you as omnipotent here.

That's where the -REAL- money is!
TrainingDummy
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links