systema internal power question

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: systema internal power question

Postby Upyu on Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:26 am

Bhassler wrote:I would expect most people to disagree with me, and that's fine. You can transmit force through bones in tension as well as compression, and all the SJT I've seen would fall under that category.

Guess this is where I was going to say I disagree, since I think SJT show more transference through tissue rather than skeletal alignment. That would be transference based on conditioning. If you're bent over sideways to an almost 90 degree angle, from a horse stance and can ground a force...there's almost no skeletal alignment to rely on.

Bhassler wrote:Notice that I made no mention whatsoever of how the force is generated, only how it is transmitted. Certain methods of generating force are more efficient at creating useable power without inhibiting the free movement of the skeleton, which is partly why I said dynamic skeletal transmission of force, rather than simply skeletal transmission.

Bhassler wrote:As far as the lists, I don't disagree that they may be part of what needs to be done to achieve I.S., but that's not I.S. itself.

Gotcha, no argument from me there. There was a misunderstanding on my part as to what you meant by "characteristics."
Upyu
Anjing

Re: systema internal power question

Postby Bhassler on Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:24 pm

Upyu wrote:Guess this is where I was going to say I disagree, since I think SJT show more transference through tissue rather than skeletal alignment. That would be transference based on conditioning. If you're bent over sideways to an almost 90 degree angle, from a horse stance and can ground a force...there's almost no skeletal alignment to rely on.

The bones still have to act as levers, otherwise you'd just collapse like jelly. It becomes a tensegrity stucture at that point, where the resultant pressures of bones connected by ligaments creates a shape that gives you a springy quality (peng) even in odd positions. But if you move a single joint along the force path the whole thing collapses or has to change.

Really it doesn't matter-- however anyone connects to it is fine, as long as it works. I like bones because they are the least malleable structure in the body (with the possible exception of a person's attitude) and therefore make a good reference.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links