Pencak Silat from Madura island

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Pencak Silat from Madura island

Postby Dr.Rob on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:26 pm

Having nothing to lose is the new wealth.

Profitez de la guerre mes enfants, la paix sera terrible.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Re: Pencak Silat from Madura island

Postby Andy_S on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:22 pm

Interesting style and an elegant demo.

The Madurese are considered a hard bunch, but are not much liked around Indo:they are often hired as bodyguards and enforcers. Their island is a barren place, so many Madurese become transmigrasi (ie migrants to other islands, where they can find themselves in conflict with ocals).

The Madurese were the ones who went to war with the Ibans and Dyaks in Kalimantan (Indonesian Borneo) after the fall of Suharto, when Indonesia plunged into chaos in the mid 1990s. Fights and riots got out of hand; the end result was the Christian Ibans and Dyaks launched war parties and went headhunting among the Muslim Madurese. Some pretty horrific massacres ensued. Most of the Madurese fled Borneo, and a number were eaten. (A colleague of mine reporting the situation was offered a human kebab by a roadside; the guys offering this delicacy were not all there, and my pal admitted it was a very scary situation. He very politely declined.)

The chap here is wearing the common Madurese striped shirt, though why he is stuffing leaves down it I have no idea. He looks skillful with that odd spear he is using, but is not using the iconic Madurese weapon, a short-handled sickle.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Buddy on Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:35 pm

Figures this comes from O'ong.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby Dr.Rob on Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:42 pm

Explain his history pls. I just found his name in reference to an article I downloaded ( 315pgs) Muslims in Global Socities. May 2009...He was mentioned in the Prologue in reference to research he did in 2002.

D.S. Farrer
Shadows of the Prophet
Martial Arts and Sufi Mysticism
Having nothing to lose is the new wealth.

Profitez de la guerre mes enfants, la paix sera terrible.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Postby Buddy on Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:16 pm

I knew him from a long ago Silat list.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby bigphatwong on Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:37 pm

Interesting. I had some friends growing up in Holland who were from that island. Their family style of Pukulan is very unique and still practiced there today.

P.S. Buddy-- Pak Vic sends his regards.
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby Buddy on Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:22 am

Hmmm...... we parted on less than good terms and I never knew Pak for his forgiveness.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby Tiga Pukul on Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:58 am

bigphatwong wrote:Interesting. I had some friends growing up in Holland who were from that island. Their family style of Pukulan is very unique and still practiced there today.

P.S. Buddy-- Pak Vic sends his regards.

I hope you are not meaning Pukulan Madura in Holland? This style does NOT come from Madura, to be clear, but the teacher of the main teacher in Holland comes from Madura... however it's Pukulan is known for it's hard contact and fierceness.

Andy_S: The big weapon which is used is a known weapon in Madura. The favorite weapon from Madura you probably mean is the Celurit...a curvy sickle type of weapon. Very nasty.
Tiga Pukul
Huajing

Postby bigphatwong on Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:45 pm

Tiga Pukul wrote:I hope you are not meaning Pukulan Madura in Holland? This style does NOT come from Madura, to be clear, but the teacher of the main teacher in Holland comes from Madura... however it's Pukulan is known for it's hard contact and fierceness.

Right, Pukulan Madura. The style taught by the Flohr family in Breda. That's what you practice, isn't it?

Anyway, what I've seen was limited to an informal backyard demo, but by all accounts Pa Flohr was very fast even at his advanced age, so the training must produce good results. :)

cheers
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Return to Video Links