FreedomStyle Martial Yoga

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: FreedomStyle Martial Yoga

Postby kshurika on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:41 am

Expert?????

Hardly. I've spent most of my life trying to be an expert yogi and it keeps getting farther away. Now I just practice and let the people I named in my original post be the experts.

I don't like blends. I think yoga is yoga and MA are MA. However, I DEFINITELY think that the two compliment each other. (Or is that "complement"; I've never taken the time to learn the difference.) My Xingyi practice has been vastly improved by yoga and XY has given me some body insights that apply to yoga. I think you get into trouble when you try to blend two traditions into one. It's sort of like making a casserole out of sardines and sombreros. For some reason, it just doesn't work.

It's probably the sardines.
kshurika
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:46 am

It 'aint called "Warrior pose" for nothing!
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:21 am

kshurika wrote:I don't like blends. I think yoga is yoga and MA are MA. However, I DEFINITELY think that the two compliment each other.

Speaking solely from the perspective of my own personal experience in practicing both since 1961, I believe that concurrent yoga and IMA practices are definitely complimentary to one another.

Even basic yoga practices such as the Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation) will open and expand the joints, and will increase overall flexibility of the spine and limbs, with direct benefits to the performance of any martial art techniques. Here's one version of the Surya Namaskar:

OM! Shanti, Shanti, Shanti, OM!
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby kshurika on Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:05 am

I agree, Doc.

Actually, the "warrior poses" are properly called "Virabhadra's poses". Virabhadra was the general of the army that Shiva created by throwing one of his hairs into a fire. He most definitely was a warrior, a fierce one.
Last edited by kshurika on Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
kshurika
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:52 am

Shiva Mahayogi

Virabhadrasanas / Warrior Poses
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links