Graham does...

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Graham does...

Postby shawnsegler on Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:15 pm

Choy li fut??? :)

Last edited by shawnsegler on Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Re: Graham does...

Postby WongYing on Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:52 am

Ummmm.... think that was Ummmmm ????
WongYing
Huajing

Postby middleway on Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:38 am

You know Graham aint gonna be happy about this right!! remember what happened last time there was a thread about one of his clips!

::) ..... grabs popcorn and waits for the thunder!
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby mrtoes on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:06 am

I'm not familiar with the form in question but looks fine to me, flows pretty nicely.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Josealb on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:16 am

Form aint familiar with anyone, as a matter of facto. -whip-

But im sure he can explain it. :)
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:20 am

Ha ha ;D

Shawn just loves the drama ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:27 am

Kinda related but unrelated .. you do actually do CLF dont you Graham? cant remember.

cheers
Chris
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:30 am

Yes, can't you tell by the clip? :D

Please come to my next Bear Eagle $eminar, and I'll tell you all about it. Jose - your place is free, but I'll need to borrow you for applicaiton demos.... I find your backwards running most impressive ;)
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Pandrews1982 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:46 am

Form is familiar to me :) though i prefer to call it a lian huan (linking sequence) as that's what we call all our "forms" in our school. They are not set in stone they can be added to and modified with other movements if needed.

You'll see in that link that there are movments which are common to many bear-eagle links, although most other schools only teach very small links of one or two movements. I went to a Luo Dexue seminar earlier this year and was quite surprized that his monkey "form" consisted of 4 movement, one of which was repeated numerous times, I was a little disappointed because I already knew those movements from my own monkey link and many more besides.

The "bear punch" the circular type rolling uppercut like punches from 0.17 are common bear movements i've seen in clips etc before, the open hand variation of these strikes are performed at 0.05 onwards before the turn also the large "eagle pi" movements throughout the link but most obvious in the first few movements are seen in any number of xing yi eagle demonstrations, in fact I believe the movement is a front weighted variation of "eagle seize" (sorry might be the wrong name i tend to not use names for movements, they are just movements to me) which is used extensively in hennan xinyi. This movement can be seen quite clearly at 0.21 in the video - downward pressing pi quan from above.

I've already gone through with Graham some points i noticed in the clip, but i think it is pretty good actually. Can anyone point me to another youtube video of hebei xing yi bear-eagle of the same kind of quality, I'm not sayign Grahm's B-E is super nice but I can't find many B-E clips on youtube and the ones I found were pretty dire

e.g. - Mr unicorn here

Although it looks a bit stylised and exagerated (a little bit for the video i suspect), Sifu Rudy's video here has the bear punch and the eagle strikes repeated which Graham does in his link - near the end of this clip

Pandrews1982
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:59 am

..an old sufi saying goes.. 'there would be no false gold if there wasn't real gold'

cracks bag of chicken wings, sits back to see how that is interpreted...
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Pandrews1982 on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:07 am

I don't want to get into a debate over whether or not this is "real xing yi" I'm convinced it is from experience.

What I want to say is why are we automatically always looking to slap down people who don't do something the same as us? The focus straight away was "hey this looks weird, can't be right". But waht about Graham's quality of movement, connectedness etc. Any comments on how he performs rather than what he performs?

Right now I'd rather look at something I have never seen before and try and learn from it rather than dismiss it. Jose, you guys have variations and family based methods in your teacher's xing yi right? Then why so down on Graham's style? Fellipe has a video on youtube of snake variations, some of which I've never seen, I quite like it I have watched it a few times looking at how he does the movements and trying to see the snake character in them, I didn't dismiss it as not snake or not xing yi or not any good because I hadn't seen it before. Also Fellipe has a horse variation which someone commented said "that's not horse" the reply "Read again. And do a search. There are many variations of the Xingyiquan Horse form out there. Don't be sorry...just get out more ;)" I think that's good advice, replace horse with "bear-eagle" and there you go.
Pandrews1982
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:15 am

GrahamB wrote:Please come to my next Bear Eagle $eminar, and I'll tell you all about it. Jose - your place is free, but I'll need to borrow you for applicaiton demos.... I find your backwards running most impressive ;)

Haha! You've been saving that line up ;D

Pandrews1982 wrote:What I want to say is why are we automatically always looking to slap down people who don't do something the same as us? The focus straight away was "hey this looks weird, can't be right". But waht about Graham's quality of movement, connectedness etc. Any comments on how he performs rather than what he performs?

Of course. People are always quick to say "that's not how my teacher taught me". As I said I liked it and thought it looked connected, Graham was clearly going to an effort to move from the core and I liked the minimal arm movements with the lateral strikes in the middle of the clip, particularly with bear. Footwork looked solid. Some of the wheeling slaps (e.g. 0:12) look like they might be coming out from a position that's slightly overextended, but I would hesitate to state that without feeling them first, maybe they work just nicely.

Matthew.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:25 am

Pandrews1982 wrote:I don't want to get into a debate over whether or not this is "real xing yi" I'm convinced it is from experience.

What I want to say is why are we automatically always looking to slap down people who don't do something the same as us? The focus straight away was "hey this looks weird, can't be right". But waht about Graham's quality of movement, connectedness etc. Any comments on how he performs rather than what he performs?

Right now I'd rather look at something I have never seen before and try and learn from it rather than dismiss it. Jose, you guys have variations and family based methods in your teacher's xing yi right? Then why so down on Graham's style? Fellipe has a video on youtube of snake variations, some of which I've never seen, I quite like it I have watched it a few times looking at how he does the movements and trying to see the snake character in them, I didn't dismiss it as not snake or not xing yi or not any good because I hadn't seen it before. Also Fellipe has a horse variation which someone commented said "that's not horse" the reply "Read again. And do a search. There are many variations of the Xingyiquan Horse form out there. Don't be sorry...just get out more ;)" I think that's good advice, replace horse with "bear-eagle" and there you go.

Aw... come on P, you know our shit is fake, right? We have to stop pretending. I'm a Choy Lee Fut guy really, so all my XY is really just Choy Lee Fut, and your teacher? Well, I heard a rumour he was highly ranked in Kempo, so all his stuff must be just Kempo, right? Yeah anyway, makes total sense to me. What do you mean he went to China for 5 years? Must have been a day trip, that's all. And I heard a rumour that you went to at least 4 Wing Chun lessons, so your stuff is just Wing Chun. Ok?

Glad we cleared that up :D ::)

b.t.w I saw Felipe's snake link too - very nice it is. Recognised lots of bits from our stuff, but there's lots of 'new' things in there too.
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:36 am

mrtoes wrote:Of course. People are always quick to say "that's not how my teacher taught me". As I said I liked it and thought it looked connected, Graham was clearly going to an effort to move from the core and I liked the minimal arm movements with the lateral strikes in the middle of the clip, particularly with bear. Footwork looked solid. Some of the wheeling slaps (e.g. 0:12) look like they might be coming out from a position that's slightly overextended, but I would hesitate to state that without feeling them first, maybe they work just nicely.

Matthew.

Thanks Matthew! Personally I think the most interesting thing in that video is the guy doing Snake Creeps Down in the background - did you see him? It's like that video where people are playing table tennis and you have to count the number of times they hit a ball, and a guy walks on half way through in a gorilla suit and nobody sees him.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:39 am

Ha ha ;D

Shawn just loves the drama ;D

guilty as charged! :)
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger