nice weapons clip

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: nice weapons clip

Postby GrahamB on Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:02 am

Ian wrote:The only thing I find ethically dubious is the sequence where he disarms the assailant and stabs him twice to the torso.

That was what caught my eye. I think if that was real (I know, I know, it's just a demo) and the guy died as a result of those stabs (quite possible when to the chest like that) then I'm pretty positive (after reading the MacYoung article, which seemed to me like the most sense I've ever read on the subject) that he'd get done for murder (worst case) or man slaughter, and spend a good few years in jail. It's worth considering. I'm not a lawer though, so don't take my legal advice.

There was also the bit where he stomped somebody's head while they were lying on the ground, unarmed, rather than running off - that looked pretty deadly.

I'm not saying his stuff isn't good - it looks very, very effective.
Last edited by GrahamB on Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Graculus on Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:36 am

I'm sure you could get in trouble with the UK courts for doing almost anything that appeared to be the result of conscious thought (such as stomping on someone) but accidentally treading on someone's head as you stumbled away is another matter (allegedly).

If you look carefully, in the situation where he stabs him twice in the chest, the assailant is still holding the blade, which would make things a little more open to interpretation in court, and is not quite the same thing as disarming him and then proceeding to stake him through the heart.

Graculus
Graculus
Huajing

Postby Teazer on Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:44 am

Ian wrote:I can see one sequence where the assailant has a knife to the guy's throat, and the guy grabs the knife hand and stabs him twice with his own knife before running away. The assailant has a knife to his throat. That's a threat of lethal force. The victim is unarmed and justifiably in fear for his life....

... until he took the knife away, yes. Afterward, maybe not. It'll be difficult to prove that you did anything other than repeatedly stab some unarmed guy.
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:17 am

Teazer wrote:
Ian wrote:I can see one sequence where the assailant has a knife to the guy's throat, and the guy grabs the knife hand and stabs him twice with his own knife before running away. The assailant has a knife to his throat. That's a threat of lethal force. The victim is unarmed and justifiably in fear for his life....

... until he took the knife away, yes. Afterward, maybe not. It'll be difficult to prove that you did anything other than repeatedly stab some unarmed guy.

I'm think we're talking about different things. There's a sequence where the assailant is still behind the guy with the knife in a firm grip. The guy has managed to immobilize the knife hand by grabbing with both hands. What to do now? Let it go and he's back to square one.
Last edited by Ian on Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Postby C.J.Wang on Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:28 am

It seems his style is a blend of boxing, savate, and some elements of Filipino/Indonesian systems.
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby mrtoes on Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:56 am

Ian wrote:The only thing I find ethically dubious is the sequence where he disarms the assailant and stabs him twice to the torso.

I think I agree on balance.

Do you happen to know the letter of the law as to what is permissable in these situations? The little I remember from the last time I was told about this was that you shouldn't do more than is necessary to escape from the situation, for example knock someone down but don't kick them in the head if you've got a chance to run for it, etc. Of course everyone would rather be in jail than dead/maimed, that goes without saying.

Matthew.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby middleway on Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:23 am

Personally i think the idea has to be save your life and do whatever you have to to achieve that goal. All this talk of 'the law' is really irrelevant in a life or death situation.

Worrying about what the law will say when someone has a knife to you throat will do nothing but hinder your ability to work effectively. Lets be frank here.... The guy trying to end your life has made his decision and sometimes Karma's a bitch.

Cheers
Chris
Last edited by middleway on Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Chanchu on Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:45 am

Great vid, those guys are very good- as for me, I will worry about court after..

Savate is very interesting. Years ago- back in the stone age on the original RSF, long before the bizarro EF debacle, some one posted a thread with pictures of French uniformed troopers in the early 1900 period doing Savate (perhaps in Vietnam.)

The photos were really great- clear S/D savate 'kick boxing" and some type of joint locks. Can't remember who posted them or what site they came from.
Chanchu
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:22 pm

middleway wrote:Personally i think the idea has to be save your life and do whatever you have to to achieve that goal. All this talk of 'the law' is really irrelevant in a life or death situation.

Worrying about what the law will say when someone has a knife to you throat will do nothing but hinder your ability to work effectively. Lets be frank here.... The guy trying to end your life has made his decision and sometimes Karma's a bitch.

Cheers
Chris

This makes sense to me. I guess you're in so much of a world of shit that it's bloody stupid to think of anything other than surviving and getting the hell out of there by any means necessary.

Matthew.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Dr.Rob on Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 pm

He moves very well. Great explosion. Nice apps.

This article I adore.

http://www.bisons.net/training/knifefight.html
Having nothing to lose is the new wealth.

Profitez de la guerre mes enfants, la paix sera terrible.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links