Ma Yu Liang push hands

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Ma Yu Liang push hands

Postby ShortFormMike on Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:24 pm

jose, when i get around to it i'll post a video of my friend who is pretty good at taiji but as a physical therapist he knows how to play w/ people's nervous system's pretty good. he can tap me on my chest w/ his palm and then tap me again w/ the back of his palm and my feet come off the ground. it reminds me of when the doctor taps your knee.

so what i mean by defying physics is that how could a force that is much less than my weight (his hand tapping) get my feet to lift off the ground. surely that would not work on a statue.

maybe i could help NickC's example. once i tried to open my fridge while on the phone. i had my glasses on and was looking at the door handle past the lens. there must've been some kind of parallax involved cuz i missed the handle and landed on my ass. this was actually one of the taiji "a ha!" moments for me.
if it doesn't make sense, it's because I'm "typing" with Swype or using android's voice to text, which is pretty damn good by the way
ShortFormMike
Huajing

Postby Craig on Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:34 pm

I always thought it was much like when you go to lift a container that you think is full and really heavy and it turns out to be empty and really light and you pull yourself off balance.
Craig
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:34 am

Josealb wrote:Mike...The fall at 2:02...could you explain what happens? what makes the guy fall?

If not Mike, any Wu expert?

Nick C? :)

Jose,
you should find a free copy of Adam Franks dissertation on the web. He describes the worship of Ma by his followers in Shanghai. You can figure out the rest. You already have, don't you ? :P

CD
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:09 am

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:09 am

Yes, but there's a free version around on the interwebs. And I'm not talking about a pirated copy here.
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:12 am

cdobe
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:21 am

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby wassy on Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:28 am

Josealb wrote:Ok...so..maybe im thick headed...but, what was it he did at 2:02 again? What exactly made him fall?

gravity? ;D
wassy
Santi

Previous

Return to Video Links