Doing Taijiquan on a bike 1972, China Cultural Revolution

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Doing Taijiquan on a bike 1972, China Cultural Revolution

Postby Bob on Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:58 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFjZppDJ ... re=related

A very short extract from 1972-Antonioni's documentary "Chung kuo Cina".

A simple funny moment when one bicycler practice some taijiquan movements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7rCK9uR ... re=related

An extract from de 1972-Antonioni's documentary "Chung Kuo Cina", a unique vision of the Cultural Revolution age in China.
Here, a group of taijiquan practitioners behind Tian'anmen Square, doing 24-step Form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv_gzkC0 ... re=related

Taijiquan during Cultural Revolution at Shanghai Bund (1972)

Bob
Great Old One

Re: Doing Taijiquan on a bike 1972, China Cultural Revolution

Postby bailewen on Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:43 pm

"Obviously" the entire film is fake because "everybody knows" that martial arts were completely banned during that time period.

;D
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:49 pm

I practice this on my bicycle:

Ian

Postby Ian on Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:05 pm

but seriously, you don't do this?

bicycle time = perfect time for shadow boxing.

you can stop training when you're dead!
Ian

Postby mrtoes on Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:54 am

They obviously don't have pot holes and lethal traffic where you live Ian :)
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Areios on Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:41 am

:D
Areios
Wuji

Postby mixjourneyman on Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:53 am

bailewen wrote:"Obviously" the entire film is fake because "everybody knows" that martial arts were completely banned during that time period.

;D

hahaha, I love it! ;D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby xingyijuan on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:11 am

bailewen wrote:"Obviously" the entire film is fake because "everybody knows" that martial arts were completely banned during that time period.

;D

lol. I was about to say the same thing, adding that all the True Masters(TM) fled to Taiwain, Hong Kong and Malaysia... ;)
"Power cannot exist without movement"Yang Hai

* Nammies: Comprehension not required.
xingyijuan
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:24 am

mrtoes wrote:They obviously don't have pot holes and lethal traffic where you live Ian :)

http://www.uxxb.com/videos/bicyclevspothole/

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:43 am

xingyijuan wrote:

;D

lol. I was about to say the same thing, adding that all the True Masters(TM) fled to Taiwain, Hong Kong and Malaysia... ;)

Well, to be fair, I didn't see much "martial arts" going on in those clips, just a lot of 'directing invisible traffic' ;D ;) :P

I don't think anybody doing martial arts in China would have let a camera within 100 miles of them at that time in history...
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:03 am

GrahamB wrote:
xingyijuan wrote:

;D

Well, to be fair, I didn't see much "martial arts" going on in those clips, just a lot of 'directing invisible traffic' ;D ;) :P

I don't think anybody doing martial arts in China would have let a camera within 100 miles of them at that time in history...

According to my teacher, during the cultural revolution in Tienjin was an amazing time for martial arts. He said that every weekend there was a gathering so big that it was like a martial arts festival. He said you could watch old masters perform and even go wrestle with SC guys or practice with other people. This is a part of history that doesn't get talked about much in the west because people have only started moving to Western countries from Northern China within the past ten years and so we haven't had much of a chance to learn about it yet.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby xingyijuan on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:32 am

Aw, come on Mix! You know our teacher does "Commie-Government-Influenced-Wushu" (TM)!

Why would you believe him? ;D :P

</sarcasm>
"Power cannot exist without movement"Yang Hai

* Nammies: Comprehension not required.
xingyijuan
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:33 am

xingyijuan wrote:Aw, come on Mix! You know our teacher does "Commie-Government-Influenced-Wushu" (TM)!

Why would you believe him? ;D :P

</sarcasm>

hahahahaha!
All those jumps and spinning back kicks we do finally make sense. I wonder if he knows some Tae Kwando also? ;D
edit: Chinese government fake wushu performance only flowery Tae Kwando. ;D
Last edited by mixjourneyman on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:36 am

mixjourneyman wrote:According to my teacher, during the cultural revolution in Tienjin was an amazing time for martial arts. He said that every weekend there was a gathering so big that it was like a martial arts festival. He said you could watch old masters perform and even go wrestle with SC guys or practice with other people. This is a part of history that doesn't get talked about much in the west because people have only started moving to Western countries from Northern China within the past ten years and so we haven't had much of a chance to learn about it yet.

Wow... that would indeed be new information. What dates is he talking about?

From interview with Wu Bin at Kung Fu magazine:

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazin ... rticle=694

When Coach Wu talks about his late start in wushu, he describes himself as "man niao kuai fei," or a bird with a late start that flew quickly in order to catch up. Every morning, he determinedly practiced wushu, and when everyone went home during vacations, he stayed at the school to practice some more. With inadequate nourishment at the time, the school even permitted students to skip morning classes, but he trained anyway to catch up to his peers. Wu Bin also later learned under coaches Zao Baolong, Zheng Xueming, and Zhuo Jingshen. From these instructors, he picked up valuable teaching methods that he would later use on future students at Shi Cha Hai.

In 1963, Wu Bin graduated from the Beijing Physical Culture University with a major in wushu. In 1964-5, instructor Zhang Wenguang brought Wu Bin to several national wushu meetings. Teachers from across the country gathered to discuss regulations for competitive routines and figured out how to implement wushu programs in elementary schools. Later on, his classmate Men Huifeng also took him to reunions of traditional masters. Through these meetings, Wu Bin picked up information from dozens of grandmasters. If he didn't understand something, he would ask questions. He would snip out magazine and newspaper articles related to wushu or kung fu to create a collection; these articles helped him understand the theory and application behind martial arts, and would aid him in establishing his own system of teaching.

In 1964, Wu Bin was sent by the government to teach a small wushu class at the Beijing Sports School. The environment was incredibly poor, with limited space. Wu Bin disregarded these Spartan living conditions, saying that "it didn't matter," because his main goals were to train wushu athletes and to establish a renowned school. Others criticized his goal as being unrealistic, but Wu Bin was determined to pursue his dreams. In 1966 he was awarded "Outstanding Coach" by the government.

From 1966 to 1969, the Cultural Revolution took its toll on wushu. Because it was considered part of the "Four Olds," masters were prohibited from teaching and practicing martial arts. Wu Bin trained his students underground anyway. In 1970, the Beijing Physical Culture University gained permission from Jiang Qing, one of the members of the Gang of Four, to reopen wushu classes. With a green light from the government, Coach Wu began to seek out talented elementary students for a new wushu class. In 1971, 8-year-old Li Lianjie (Jet Li) started training under Wu Bin. The first few years were considered amateur training because the students would go to school in the mornings and practice in the afternoons.

In 1972, the students were invited to perform at the opening ceremony of an international ping-pong competition held in Beijing. The performance was a blast, and from then on, the Beijing Sports School rose in prestige. A film company later produced a documentary featuring the students practicing wushu; this documentary was a diplomatic gesture to allow outside countries like Hong Kong, the Philippines and Japan to witness Chinese culture.

In November 1974, the Beijing Wushu Team was officially established. In a decade-long reign, athletes under Wu Bin swept national championships. In 1986, the government sent Wu Bin to the Chinese Wushu Research Institute. Without Wu Bin, the school's success plummeted; arguments broke out, students grew undisciplined, and the team lost its strong standings. In 1993, Wu Bin was sent back to Beijing to reform the team. Once again, he mounted a talent search to find athletes with potential.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:36 am

By the way, master Yang, if you are reading this, I'm just kidding, please don't punch me in the throat please :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links