External Qi Transmission

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: External Qi Transmission

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:50 am

GaryR wrote:
GaryR wrote:
DeusTrismegistus wrote:

Yes and when my great aunt prayed over warts and small cuts and blemishes and healed them that was fake too, even though they went away and never came back. ::)

Just because you haven't experienced something doesn't mean it can't happen. Just because science says something shouldn't be able to happen doesn't mean it isn't happening. Ridiculing others because they believe something different than you and have different experiences than you is just being an asshole.

Yes, I hate to break it to you, but that was most likely fake. People have been trying to prove the power of prayer unsuccessfully for generations. Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence. So forgive me if I don't believe your aunt prayed to heal her warts and her imaginary friend granted the wish. ::)

I'm "ridiculing others" preposterous claims that lack evidence. In no other sphere of discourse do we give people a pass because they believe something without, or perhaps in-spite of evidence. Seeing as how by the time you finish reading this someone in this world will likely be killed due to differences in their belief of "god", I think ridicule of such claims should be more widespread and harsh.

We got a bit off topic, but I think it relates somewhat to the external Qi demo. Its all belief, and belief that causes people to act silly sometimes. People shouldn't be surprised when they are laughed at for such things, if I'm an asshole for requiring evidence and rationality, then i'll own that. ;)

G

DeusTrismegistus wrote:Sorry, wasn't fake when she did it for me when I was a child, or my mom.

You are missing the point. No one is asking anyone to believe it. What you are doing is no different than the child who claims to hate shrimp even though they have never eaten shrimp. You have no experience so how do you know its fake? The answer is you don't. If people would simply have an open mind and not deny the existence of things of which they know nothing, and respond with politeness and kindness instead of ridicule and hate, then there would be a lot fewer arguments in this world.

This is probably the one thing I dislike about RSF. Its like any other clique where if you don't tow the party line you are ostracized. Here that party line is qi is fake, spirituality is bunk, the mystic has no place in the martial arts. There is no right answer that involves qi or energy or God or anything except nerves and sinew. A video of external qi transmission will get the same welcome here as would by meat heads on myspace martial arts forums. Judgement has already been passed and there is no room for an actual discussion about what is happening, and I may be alone but I find that sad and pathetic.

Well, like I said I will just have to take your word for it. ::)

I'm not missing your point at all, in fact I am way past it. Your analogy is false. First, shrimp actually exist, and can be shown to exist. Experience or non-experience with a known and demonstrable item like shrimp is a different matter. I can't by definition "hate" something that I have no evidence is even in existence. Moreover, no person can even prove they have experience with god, thats why its a "faith" by definition. How can one demand someone have "experience" with something that can't be shown to even exist? If you count experience as having prayed, and read and studied most of the worlds religious texts and history, then put me down for a lot of experience. When millions of people have contradicting viewpoints on "faiths", "god" or "truth" etc, is it not reasonable to say to them all "prove it, show me the strength of your evidence, each of you says the other is wrong, and you are right, in fact some of you are killing each other due to that, why don't you offer proof for your conjecture and myth, agree to disagree and then go home and leave everyone alone!?" Why should they be allowed to start wars, or invade public policy with such nonsense? Of course if people of faith kept it a private matter, there would be no need to ask them such questions that could potentially ridicule or embarrass them.

Please don't confuse my ridicule of faith with hate, or my ridicule with intolerance. Just like any other good discourse, you should debate the idea, not the person, no reason to go ad ho-minim! Good and smart people can and do have ridiculous views that they have no evidence for whatsoever. Just because someone believes something silly or different shouldn't give anyone a reason to hate them, or be intolerant of them. Your aunt should enjoy the freedom to pray for whomever she wants and to whom or whatever she wants. But what if for example that prayer is in lieu of getting a minor child a lifesaving surgery? (not the case with warts I should hope). The right to tolerance for anything should end when it interferes with anothers right of life and peaceful existence. This is just how society is set up. My right to drive my car at 75 MPH ends when there is a school zone with kids walking across the street at all hours. Plowing through a school zone and hoard of children should not be tolerated, regardless of my supernatural belief that god will punish me if I don't or whatever...

If I held a belief for which I had no evidence, say I thought that a supreme alien being threw our souls into a volcano, and after the eruption sprung human life (see scientology), I should expect a good degree of ridicule, skepticism, etc. I should expect such critique especially if I was lobbying to form public policy or start a war from the basis of my volcano/soul/alien conjecture.

But, back to the MA side of it...

I thought RSF was sort of the opposite actually...perhaps you should take an empty force poll?????

But given there is no evidence that Qi exists literally, and especially no evidence it exists in the context that it can control others from a distance. I don't think one can cry foul when most people look at that video and laugh out-loud on this forum or any other. Its amusingly ridiculous. This is sort of a false dilemma, but it illustrates my point. Say your friend is a soon to be student (who was just hired as a security guard who will routinely need to confront bad guys in the near future) had two teachers to pick from in his hometown (he doesn't have time to take both classes). One of them taught external qi methods as in the video and said they were real and he could use them in self defense, and that no "low level" "touch" techniques were taught. There was no evidence presented for the external qi claims, other than the actions of the willing participants, and even those who have tried to prove it with studies have failed, there is also no proof these methods have been used in self defense, other than stories the master tells that are a thousand years old. The other teacher is a big time RBSD guy who puts people in the mix right away with the best of the best methods for self defense, weapons disarms etc. The RBSD guy has taught numerous LEO's and security guards who have used his methods with success (and they can prove it). Your friend comes to you for advice since you presumably are an expert and have done MA of various kinds for many many years. Your friend is not a real critical thinker, or skeptic, and really wants to believe the magic external Chinese thing can save his butt but also likes the looks of that RBSD class as well. What do you say? Would you ask him to weigh the available evidence as to what has been proven to work? Which class would you want him to take?

Basically, we should all just laugh away. The clip is silly, and the people are acting silly. Lets just hope they don't have to attempt to use that nonsense to save their own skins someday! Does it mean we should hate them, not in the least, be intolerant of them? No, but we can/should ask for evidence, and not be afraid to ridicule, critique, and debate absurd and "faith" based ideas and practices without reserve. That is what makes life interesting, if we all agreed on everything, there would be much less interesting discussion!

G

I agree with most of your points but ridiculing others no matter how silly something appears is never productive, nor kind.

With your friend scenario I would tell my friend to go to the RBSD guy. Because of all the traditional methods of training no touch techniques they are considered yin techniques and require decades of dedicated practice to become proficient in. Further if I cannot transfer qi by touch how could I ever hope to learn how to do a more advanced version that requires no touch? So even if the guy can really honestly teach no touch techs that work they would not be suitable for what my friend is looking for.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Josealb on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:37 am

DeusTrismegistus wrote:
Hi bruce. I think what Dillman does is most likely similar to NLP. He just doesn't understand the mechanism for why his stuff works when it does and when it doesn't. To the people that are his students getting knocked out by light taps its real. Would it work against a person who doesn't fall for the stuff? Nope, is it wrong to sell that stuff as practical self defense skill? Yup But I won't say its wrong because it doesn't exist, but because it is an unreliable and dangerous way to try to defend yourself.

Deus...uhm...Justin, right? So no touch KO is real for his students but not for other people (because its just NLP and suggestion after all)...but the prayer that stops a finger bleed is real for you AND for other people? Can you prove the difference between both scenarios? I really bet that if Dillman starts to tell his students that Ki will make them get in touch with their past lives, and they could get in touch with some long lost celtic ancestor, they WILL start to talk mumo jumbo soon enough. You can bet on it.

And im not hating, or putting your belief down or anything. But i would love if you can explain the difference between those two scenarios in a practical, logical, and tangible way.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:06 pm

Well here is an interesting place to start thinking about "warts":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP39e6eLu34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VjHJj01 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQVloLhs ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDAvZVxP ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uRzDzDl ... re=related

Featuring members of the the Harvard Placebo Study Group, "Placebo: Cracking the Code" examines the power of belief in alleviating pain, curing disease, and the healing of injuries.

The placebo effect is a pervasive, albeit misunderstood, phenomenon in medicine. In the UK, over 60% of doctors surveyed said they had prescribed placebos in regular clinical practice. In a recent Times Magazine article, 96% of US physicians surveyed stated that they believe that placebo treatments have real therapeutic effects.

Work on the placebo effect received an intellectual boost when the Harvard Placebo Study Group was founded at the beginning of 2001. This group is part of the Mind-Brain-Behavior Initiative at Harvard University, and its main characteristic is the interdisciplinary approach to the placebo phenomenon. The group is made up of 8 members: Anne Harrington (Historian of Science at Harvard), Howard Fields (Neuroscientist at Univ. of California in San Francisco), Dan Moerman (Anthropologist at Univ. of Michigan), Nick Humphrey (Evolutionary Psychologist at London School of Economics), Dan Wegner (Psychologist at Harvard), Jamie Pennebaker (Psychologist at Univ. of Texas in Austin), Ginger Hoffman (Behavioral Geneticist at Harvard) and Fabrizio Benedetti (Neuroscientist at Univ. of Turin). The main objective of the group is two-fold: to devise new experiments that may shed light on the placebo phenomenon and to write papers in which the placebo effect is approached from different perspectives.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP39e6...

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VjHJj...

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQVloL...

Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDAvZV...

Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uRzDz...
Category: Science & Technology

Tags: placebo medicine health wellness mind body mind matter medical consciousness healing
Bob
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:27 am

Josealb wrote:
DeusTrismegistus wrote:
Hi bruce. I think what Dillman does is most likely similar to NLP. He just doesn't understand the mechanism for why his stuff works when it does and when it doesn't. To the people that are his students getting knocked out by light taps its real. Would it work against a person who doesn't fall for the stuff? Nope, is it wrong to sell that stuff as practical self defense skill? Yup But I won't say its wrong because it doesn't exist, but because it is an unreliable and dangerous way to try to defend yourself.

Deus...uhm...Justin, right? So no touch KO is real for his students but not for other people (because its just NLP and suggestion after all)...but the prayer that stops a finger bleed is real for you AND for other people? Can you prove the difference between both scenarios? I really bet that if Dillman starts to tell his students that Ki will make them get in touch with their past lives, and they could get in touch with some long lost celtic ancestor, they WILL start to talk mumo jumbo soon enough. You can bet on it.

And im not hating, or putting your belief down or anything. But i would love if you can explain the difference between those two scenarios in a practical, logical, and tangible way.

The reason I think Dillman's no touch or light tap KOs are NLP and suggestion is based on videos I saw of it not working on the reporter. I am making no judgment on whether no touch or light tap KOs are possible by means that could be done regardless of the person involved belief. A prayer that stops bleeding or heals a wart is real for me and other people if other people saw it happen. Its a visible physical effect on the body. A KO unfortunately is not a visible effect that can be discerned from internal causes or external causes. If someone could no touch hit a person and cause immediate bleeding that would be much more believable for external viewers IMO.
Last edited by DeusTrismegistus on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Josealb on Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:09 pm

Someone falling down unconcious is a visible, physical effect on the body. :)

And i bet if i get cut and you pray for me, the bleed wont stop. But you will just say that you didnt really pray. Shame on you man. >:(

Deus, on a more serious note, i personally think that every person should believe firmly in something. Be it idea, principle, a god, a mesiah, a politician or a natural soy based diet...its all the same thing in a nutshell. Beliefs are necesary and gives us purpose. I respect yours but i do not agree with it. C'est la vie.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:08 pm

Josealb wrote:Someone falling down unconcious is a visible, physical effect on the body. :)

And i bet if i get cut and you pray for me, the bleed wont stop. But you will just say that you didnt really pray. Shame on you man. >:(

Deus, on a more serious note, i personally think that every person should believe firmly in something. Be it idea, principle, a god, a mesiah, a politician or a natural soy based diet...its all the same thing in a nutshell. Beliefs are necesary and gives us purpose. I respect yours but i do not agree with it. C'est la vie.

That's perfectly fine and I expect it. However you have approached me in a very respectable manner and you have not came off as demeaning, condescending, or ridiculing. Which was my whole point, I just get tired of people demeaning things they have no experience with or know nothing about, even if it is crazy.

DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby I-mon on Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:10 pm

I don't have the stats, but I get the feeling that the "placebo effect" (including prayer, shamanism, exorcism, hypnosis, NLP etc) is about the most powerful medicine there is.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Dr.Rob on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:39 pm

According to one of the Pharma reps I use for the shit...55% of all treatment success is based on Placebo...drugs rule. The belief they are working is better still.
Having nothing to lose is the new wealth.

Profitez de la guerre mes enfants, la paix sera terrible.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:07 am

dr.Rob and I-mon
+1 :)
and
in my opinion most of the so called "external Qi transmission" /which you can see on "u-tube"/
is just form of hypnosis
and simply don`t work on person well rooted in reality /as far as i saw couple of the " internal" shows/
but
there are /still on our planet/shen kung masters
able to free all of your emotions at will
with or w/o light tap,...
+
Hi Gary R,.-
prayer IS workin`
you may need just some MORE time, and you present life may be to short to see it :P
or solution given from higher been
not nessessary is what YOU did expected .. :-*
Last edited by wiesiek on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby BruceP on Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:55 pm

Deus, after reading this thread I have a whole new respect for you. A character that stays true to itself is what I value most in folks. It speaks of constancy and strength, and doesn't change its tune.

The things that are being shown in the first clip are central in my own IMA paradigm. I can't speak for the clip itself, but the ideas are apparent enough. I've seen those ideas demonstrated first-hand and have felt qi transfer for myself. I'm not invested or drawn into this type of thing because I'm not a man of faith. I just know what is, and what isn't, in my life.

My grand-daddy used to read tea leaves with uncanny accuracy. He knew when the women in our clan were pregnant just by reading their tea leaves. He knew whether it was a boy or girl. There were too many instances where he saw shit he couldn't have known about. It was weird to say the least. He said it was an energy more than a visual 'seeing', and that it wasn't a matter of drawing from the cup with the eyes. It required pouring one's mind into the cup through the eyes. Yi? He doused religiously and in my own experience of doing the practice most of my life, there seems to be something there more than just boosting the immune system and firing the core. It's a very deep energetic activity.

My wife reads palms and interprets dreams as a hobby/interest - just for fun. All her friends are amazed for whatever reason. I don't scoff or buy into it. It's cool, but whatever.

dillman...pffft
Last edited by BruceP on Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby somatai on Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:36 pm

"embrace your inner placebo effect"
somatai

Postby qiphlow on Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:53 pm

somatai wrote:"embrace your inner placebo effect"

if more people did that we wouldn't need nearly as many doctors.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:59 am

Ian

Postby GaryR on Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:42 pm

Ian wrote:

Sad when adults allow their beliefs/delusions to emotionally disturb/infect their own children. Reminds me of the "jesus camp" movie. Poor kids...
GaryR

Postby Ian on Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:34 pm

they're speaking in tongues though. there's no way they could speak this language fluently unless it came from god.

http://www.tbm.org/tongues.htm
"speaking in tongues is the most intelligent, perfect language in the universe. It is God's language."
Ian

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links