Da Mo sword

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Da Mo sword

Postby Overlord on Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:48 am

omg........

Over
Overlord

Re: Da Mo sword

Postby wiesiek on Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:38 am

Hmm,
I`m not a weapon expert,
but
her performance shows lo legs power /weak steppin`/
in my understending the main point any art.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Bob on Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:07 am

My guess is that this person was a dancer, ballet or otherwise, prior to her practice of the martial arts. She has structure but her upper body and lower body move somewhat as a dancer's body--not talking about flowery movement because in my eyes she has no flowery movements and has very good starting point and potential.

A couple things I would ask her to do if she were my student [but in reality I have not students so take it for what it is worth].

Look at her performance, look at the light weight sword she bears--it makes no demands on her body to sink--in a sense her form floats although she is able to do well in the height of her stances--

I would ask her to train with a much heavier, balanced sword.

With a heavier sword, I would have her execute a number of movements in place--both static and dynamic. Then abstracted single movements from the form---lines so to speak---repeated over and over.

Finally I would have her buy light wrist weights and have her use a medium sword to train the form.

I think she has great potential and is halfway there. Well appreciated performance on my part, no criticism.
Last edited by Bob on Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Dr.Rob on Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:37 am

I am with you Bob. That women doesn't understand the weapon. Never has fought or had too. ( that is a good thing by the by). She has no idea of the applications. That actually makes it ungraceful and weak. I am going over too TNT for eye-candy.
Having nothing to lose is the new wealth.

Profitez de la guerre mes enfants, la paix sera terrible.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:09 am

First off for straight sword- you never put your hand on the sword. Broadsword is ok to do that since it has a blade edge and flat edge.

As for flow- its not that bad, but yes the stances should be deeper as weisiek pointed out.

She could use some more sword basics like figure 8 with sword so it makes a better and more crisp rotation.

its not that bad for someone who is probably beginner-intermediate level.
neijia_boxer

Postby Bob on Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:59 am

I missed that first part, putting your hand on the sword--one of the swords I use came sharpened one would learn quickly not to do this, especially along the upper third of the blade.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Chanchu on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:15 pm

I thought she did well but that paper sword ugh.........
Chanchu
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:01 pm

Yeah, I'm always offended by the weapons that weigh like 2 oz.

It's absolutely ridiculous. If you can't handle a weapon that actually weighs the amount it's supposed to, then you have not learned how to handle that weapon and you should go back and train harder.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:16 pm

i think she is great......

in sword fighting, agility is more important than leg power.
what i love about is her wrist, is not up and down, kept it very steady.....

you can tell she train hard, just a beginner but very good already...
as for the weight of the sword, it is actually better to train with paper sword/light sword to get the right force and right basic at the beginning, later on move to heavier one.

if you hold a piece of paper and slice in mid air, paper vibrates, so if you train with right force, it cut thru air with little of vibration......

Over
Overlord

Postby mixjourneyman on Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:46 pm

In my opinion over is right.
She obviously trained really hard to get her movements so clear and powerful :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:44 pm

the requirements, of course, will vary with diff school
but in general, the requirements for the chinese sword is speed and agility.

i personally do not think it is right to use the requirements of fist to gauge sword.
one should be able to 'perform' with weight and power, as well as speed, accuracy and agility according to the application
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:13 pm

From my perspective foundation is the basis for sword--no legs, no power, speed, accuracy, and agility are refinements or extensions of what one has already built upon. Fajing, effective expression and release of energy and power still requires a good structure regardless of the need for refinement. Power from legs to waist to shoulder to arm to wrist required an aligned structure. Weighted training, even for wrists, is a necessary but not sufficient condition for effective use of the traditional Chinese sword.

http://www.psykenpology.org/pictogram.htm

Yang, T., Figler, R. A., & Lianto, A. (2004). Basic chinese sword: Training and practice. Journal of Asian Martial Arts 13(3), 38-63.

http://journalofasianmartialarts.com/cm ... s/723.html

This is the perspective I am writing from:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kePq2fBj0A

Grandmaster Tony Yang and Gung Fu Uncle GM DI. on Taiwan Television
Praying mantis at the end by GM Yang also

Of course there is more than one way to "skin a cat". And not everyone is happy with this perspective. LOL

Blndrfist (2 weeks ago) Show Hide 0 Marked as spam Reply

So where is the "fight"? This is just more staged kung fu bullshit
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:16 am

neijia_boxer wrote:First off for straight sword- you never put your hand on the sword. Broadsword is ok to do that since it has a blade edge and flat edge.

Agree, it is a very bad habit. Regardless if it is broad sword or a sword. Unless she does not want finger chop chop when applying.
:o
Over
Overlord

Postby Methods on Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:09 pm

Traditionally there are forms that touch the blade, but this is not a traditional form nor is it in any KF category, just performance wushu.
On that note, she isnt bad and deserves recognition, guaranteed she could kick the crap out of 70% of you guys just out of sheer agility and strength - lol
The sword IS a problem with her like many of you stated, I think many of you may judge her by the way the Hsing-I sword methods - to me the hsing-i sword looks like shit and mirrors too much of a spear in essence (just my opinion, the style doesnt reflect sword movement, in my opinion its just in the system to make Hsing-I a complete art of the early 1900's athletic association standards), her wrist and waist do not work in correspondence and watching her I can tell that it would be easy to knock the sword out as well she is ery focused on the end result and not the bottom or middle of the sword movement (thinking too much about the weapon and hand posture - not the moement and structure). Not much different than what I see from many of the traditional Chen guys with their fake weapons and bull caca fajin.
Fun Video to watch.
TAOISTCALENDARS.ORG
Methods
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:25 am

SNIP
Not much different than what I see from many of the traditional Chen guys with their fake weapons and bull caca fajin.
SNIP

If you go into the main training hall in Chenjiagou, on the right is a door, and inside the door, is the weapons room. They have ALL kinds of weapons there - from toy wooden weapons for the kids, through wushu performance weapons, to normal weight weapons, to reinforced, heavyweight weapons. (Even a few sabers with broken blades - not sure what happened to those.) When the Chen people perform, they may well use a performance weapon. (Gee golly gosh, what an extaordinary concept.) When they are training for strength or power, they have the equipment to use.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links