Donn F. Draeger

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Donn F. Draeger

Postby Finny on Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:28 pm

The original western MA researcher/expert:

Donn F. Draeger - Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu

Uchida Ryu Tanjojutsu

Shindo Muso Ryu Jojutsu

Finny
Great Old One

Re: Donn F. Draeger

Postby Andy_S on Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:49 am

Tremendous! Nobody in MA, east or west, had anything but tremendous respect for the man's abilities and personality, so it is great to see him in action - this is some of the best TJMA I have seen. (Though I agree with Robert Smith that his books are bloody dry - he did not project much of himself into them.) Apparently, despite his reverence for TJMA, he was a real character and had a great sense of humour - as one might expect from a serious ex-Jarhead.

Hat tip for posting.

BTW - and at a totally different tangent:
Why do TJMA spend SO much time in, and responding to attacks from, the sitting position? Were there really ninja crawling out of the woodwork every time a tired samurai set down on his tatami for a swife sake? Seriously, no other TMA spends nearly this much time sat on its fat erse.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby baguaboy on Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:11 am

Whenever I see his weapons demos i have to hold my breath in awe of the deadly precision he displays. Very nice videos :)
baguaboy
Anjing

Postby cerebus on Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:20 am

Andy_S wrote:Tremendous! Nobody in MA, east or west, had anything but tremendous respect for the man's abilities and personality, so it is great to see him in action - this is some of the best TJMA I have seen. (Though I agree with Robert Smith that his books are bloody dry - he did not project much of himself into them.) Apparently, despite his reverence for TJMA, he was a real character and had a great sense of humour - as one might expect from a serious ex-Jarhead.

Hat tip for posting.

+1 :)
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby The K Prodigy on Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:27 am

Andy_S wrote:Why do TJMA spend SO much time in, and responding to attacks from, the sitting position?

Because seiza was(and might still be) the position most Japanese people spent their time in when not standing, and since you could be attacked at any moment, for any reason, training to defend yourself in seiza, or transitioning out of seiza, would be important.
K the Labyrinthine Walker.
The K Prodigy
Anjing

Postby Fubo on Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:10 am

Donn Draeger's essays on Judo kata train are well worth the read. A google search should bring some up.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby middleway on Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:33 am

awesome vids! reminds me so much of my JMA teacher here in the UK.

thanks for posting

chris
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby middleway on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:20 pm

just expanding a little on what Andy said above ... alot of work is done from Kiza but very little actually from seiza. Seiza is the formal seated position where as Kiza is the position where by instead of on the front of your feet your actually on the balls of the feet sat on the heels.

i found this on a blog that sums it up nicely. :D
The term describes the kneeling posture where you sit on the balls of your feet – something performed very often in iaido – and is called KIZA (危座). In iaido the posture itself is something of an in-between position, between getting out of seiza and performing some other movement, but there is more to it than this. Lets look at the kanji:

危 – DANGEROUS. Examples: kiken-na (危険な); abunai (危ない).
座 – SEAT / SIT. Examples: kamiza (上座); seiza (正座); zazen (座禅); suwaru (座る).

So what does it mean? Basically, KIZA refers to a seating position in which you can immediately launch an attack (or defend yourself) against an opponent/enemy. Its not an in-between position, rather its a physical state that is itself threatening and – at the same time – wary. If the opponent moves, you can react; if they make no move to attack you, then you can either launch your own attack preemptively, or remain there in a state of wariness

expanding on this ...

Why do TJMA spend SO much time in, and responding to attacks from, the sitting position? Were there really ninja crawling out of the woodwork every time a tired samurai set down on his tatami for a swife sake? Seriously, no other TMA spends nearly this much time sat on its fat erse.

There are alot of reasons. One of them most talked about is that whenever indoors you would invariably be in this position in feudal Japan so alot of methods were devised from this position.

cheers
Chris
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Finny on Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:24 pm

The work from seiza has been explained, but in these videos the only "on the floor" techniques you will see will be iaijutsu done from iai-goshi - sometimes called hanza handachi IIRC

Not actually kneeling, more of a low crouch - I once heard it described as "if a sprinter on the blocks went lower and sat back a bit, they would be close to iai-goshi"
Finny
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:03 pm

This idea of being at constant danger of attacked inside and when seated: Really? How often did this happen, compared to incidents of being attacked when one is on one's feet?

The question still stands: Why were Japanese more at risk of being attacked while sitting compared to Chinese, Koreans, Thais, etc, who spend little (or any) training time preparing for this eventuality.

With TJMA weapons arts, we are talking warriors of feudal Japan. If they were on active service and were sitting indoors, presumably, they would (in most cases) be in a formed unit, with sentries posted, or behind secure walls. If they were surprise attacked, it would most likely be outdoors. Regardless of surprise attack, most (if not all) battles and probably most skirmishes and ambushes started with men on their feet. I can't see any significant TACTICAL reason for the very considerable amounts of time spent in responding to attacks from the sitting position (be it seiza, keiza or squatting over the crapper). There may be, as Tom alludes, a good BODY TRAINING reason for doing it, but I don't buy this argument that the samurai were at constant peril whenever they took the weight off their feet.

I am sure there are McKinley's in today's world who practice SD from a barstool - after all, being spanked in a boozer is a pretty common occurance. But I would be surprised if it took up more than 1 percent of their time.

Thinking out loud, I wonder if it is a ritual conceit....? After all, many MA classes in Japan start with sitting mediation and bowing, etc, etc, so it might make sense to start your practice from said position. But that does not reflect tactical likelihood ("Ah, so! Always be prepared to be attacked when sitting...") it reflects dojo tradition.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby The K Prodigy on Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:15 pm

Andy_S wrote:This idea of being at constant danger of attacked inside and when seated: Really? How often did this happen, compared to incidents of being attacked when one is on one's feet?

The question still stands: Why were Japanese more at risk of being attacked while sitting compared to Chinese, Koreans, Thais, etc, who spend little (or any) training time preparing for this eventuality.

With TJMA weapons arts, we are talking warriors of feudal Japan. If they were on active service and were sitting indoors, presumably, they would (in most cases) be in a formed unit, with sentries posted, or behind secure walls. If they were surprise attacked, it would most likely be outdoors. Regardless of surprise attack, most (if not all) battles and probably most skirmishes and ambushes started with men on their feet. I can't see any significant TACTICAL reason for the very considerable amounts of time spent in responding to attacks from the sitting position (be it seiza, keiza or squatting over the crapper). There may be, as Tom alludes, a good BODY TRAINING reason for doing it, but I don't buy this argument that the samurai were at constant peril whenever they took the weight off their feet.

Often enough to develop forms for.

Because Japanese samurai drank a lot of tea.

Samurai were not in units, they were like knights or lords, fighters with privilege, they did not always hang out with their samurai buddies and drink sake in the safety of the castle.
K the Labyrinthine Walker.
The K Prodigy
Anjing

Postby bailewen on Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:30 pm

um....never mind feudal Japan. Don't a lot of Japanese homes, until a lot more recent than feudal Japan, not generally use chairs?

Don't know what Japan is like today but judging from their movies and television from even as recent as the 50's and 60's, people sit around on the ground. No need to train special defense from a chair as all you need to do is plant both feet on the ground when you sit rather than crossing your legs and you are basically already in a horse stance. If you live in a culture largely without chairs...makes sense to train to defend from that position.

I can't speak to Korean or Thai customs, but Chinese people have favored Chairs even in feudal times. Even it it's just a holdover from feudal times, that would pretty much explain it.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:25 am

..thanks for posting.. lets not forget that Otake kicks some serious ass...
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:43 am

bailewen wrote:um....never mind feudal Japan. Don't a lot of Japanese homes, until a lot more recent than feudal Japan, not generally use chairs?

Don't know what Japan is like today but judging from their movies and television from even as recent as the 50's and 60's, people sit around on the ground. No need to train special defense from a chair as all you need to do is plant both feet on the ground when you sit rather than crossing your legs and you are basically already in a horse stance. If you live in a culture largely without chairs...makes sense to train to defend from that position.

I can't speak to Korean or Thai customs, but Chinese people have favored Chairs even in feudal times. Even it it's just a holdover from feudal times, that would pretty much explain it.

This is the explanation Ive heard most often. Chinese culture has incorporated chairs for a long long time. Japanese folks have never really adopted chairs into their daily life. Everything they do starts from the floor.

And on top of that, don't forget the incessant paranoia of the warrior class in japan - the bushi had their own ways of eating and going to the toilet that left them less susceptible to surprise attack - why would they NOT train their sword work from the ground as well?
Finny
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:44 am

Bailewen:

Fair comments - that could be it.
Services available:
Andy_S
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links