XYLH clips from the countryside

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

XYLH clips from the countryside

Postby Martin on Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:41 pm

Hey, though this stuff by Zhang Yunlong was pretty cool. Don't know anything about him though.
Tiger:

Eagle:

Bear:

Hawk:

Chicken:

Horse:
Last edited by Martin on Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin
Great Old One

Re: XYLH clips from the countryside

Postby Edwardo on Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:53 pm

Martin, nice video's....is the waving of the hand over the face unique to this style of xingyi? and is it just plain blocking or is there something deeper about the movement?

cheers mate

Ed
Edwardo
Anjing

Postby somatai on Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:15 pm

i love this art
somatai

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:26 pm

Yo Martin,

Saw these clips yesterday and found them very interesting for a number of reasons. For one this style is 99% different than any XYLHQ that I have seen, I really can't pinpoint where it is from, it looks nothing like Zhoukou, Shanghai or anything else I have seen.

Never heard of this Kat either, where did he all of a sudden come from?

Waiting for Dr Yan to have a look and give me his opinion as he is damn obsessed with XYLHQ and I am sure he will find out who he is, what he practices and who was his teacher and where he is from.

Jon.

P.S, he aint too bad either, I seen a lot worse.
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:03 pm

Ok,

Still do not know who this fella is, but I asked Dr Yan about these clips and he gave me a couple of very feasible comments.

1. His style looks like it's Xin Yi basis is from Anhui, from Sun Guobin.

2. Many of these movements are made up.

3. He has added Cha Quan into it, but in a way which makes it still look like it is Xin Yi.

If I can get more information or if anyone if what I have written to be mistaken I will edit my posts.

Jon.
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:17 pm

Jon, Putting aside the movement details, directions, form, etc....what about the movement quality, root, connection, heavyness? according to XYLH standards.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Palmer on Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:28 pm

Thanks for posting the clips Martin!

I would not want this guy mad at me, it's clear at least to me he know's his stuff.

There are definitely some stylistic differences between this line and ours but he demonstrated some movements that my teacher learned when he was in China and I have not really seen demonstrated anywhere else.

XYLH is such a huge art and the more I see of it, it only seems bigger and bigger. I can appreciate what Jon has to say about the mixing with Cha quan etc. Since historically both tend to be practiced in the same population of people it's not suprizing that some of it bleeds into each art.

Either way this has been one of the most welcomed things to see with my eyes as far as XYLH goes from the net in awhile!

Cheers,

Palmer
Last edited by Palmer on Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Jing is crisp...
Palmer
Santi

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:04 pm

Josealb wrote:Jon, Putting aside the movement details, directions, form, etc....what about the movement quality, root, connection, heavyness? according to XYLH standards.

Ok, this is from my observation and discussions with Dr Yan.

He has little or no emphasis on zong je't jin (middle section training), so he lacks the bodies contracting and expanding found in good Zhoukou or Shanghai.

Regarding his footwork, his chai chi bu is not very clear, but overall I did not have much of a problem with what he was doing, I thought overall it is not too bad, but definitely not the best I have seen and for his age he should be a lot better.

Why I think this is because of him lacking this "shu/zhan", so his force seems to be a little too hard or maybe relying on the limb's strength.

The majority of this stuff is not XYLHQ coming from Zhoukou, so it is somewhat of a hybrid somewhat.

Jon.
Last edited by Dai Zhi Qiang on Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Postby Jarek on Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:45 pm

Zhang Yunlong is actually quite famous in China as he was one of the referees of 武林大会 XYLHQ competition.

He has studied Cha Quan since 8 and XYLHQ since he was 20.

His XYLHQ lineage is: 尚学礼 (Shang Xueli) - 石耀祖 (Shi Yaozu, Zhoukou) - 张云龙

Jarek
Jarek
Great Old One

Postby jjy5016 on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:33 am

Thanks for posting those Martin. I enjoyed watching that guy.
The tiger sequence looks a bit different from the one that Qian demonstrated but good nonetheless.

John
"I kew evibady. I squeegee him - like dis. STAND me?"
I'm always careful to lift the seat when IP
jjy5016
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:51 am

Martin,

Thanks for posting those clips - you can see the character of each animal expressed very clearly. Some of the best XY I've seen online.

G
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:38 pm

Jarek wrote:Zhang Yunlong is actually quite famous in China as he was one of the referees of 武林大会 XYLHQ competition.

He has studied Cha Quan since 8 and XYLHQ since he was 20.

His XYLHQ lineage is: 尚学礼 (Shang Xueli) - 石耀祖 (Shi Yaozu, Zhoukou) - 张云龙

Jarek

Hi Jarek,

I got Dr Yan to do some investigating and there were a few things came up, regarding Zhang Yunlong.

He is originally from Anhui and his XYLHQ seems to be influenced by Song Guobin's branch (not including elements of Cha Quan and Qi Shi).

I see you have listed, Shi Yaozu as his teacher which is surprising as I have met him through Dr Yan when I visited, He Qi, Zhoukou. Zhang's XYLHQ looks nothing like, Shi's XYLHQ.

When Shang Xueli died, Shi Yaozu was only 8 and when I met Shi he told me Yan Xianlin was his teacher. Shi inherited Shang's Xueli's sword because the local mosque asked him to be the keeper of it.

JB.
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Return to Video Links