gun disarms

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

gun disarms

Postby Ian on Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:12 am

feel free to add
Ian

Re: gun disarms

Postby I am... on Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:04 pm

The movement performed at 2:00 or so is pure suicide against anyone with their finger on the trigger. Gun disarms, like knife work, are not an exact science once you bring it up to reality (adrenalin dump, fear response, racing mind/spirit, etc.) regardless, but that movement actually creates tension on the finger as the movement progresses, increasing the likely hood of your head ending up in pieces.

I can't speak for the people in the video, they look like they know how to move from what little I saw. I wouldn't personally integrate that work into my skill set however.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:27 pm

6:20 is the most fascinating part. A guy attacks me with a gun and I hit him with it, and I go do jail?!
Holy crap. :-X

Looks good though. It's risky, sure, but it looks like your only choice; if you are not 100% sure/comfortable -- don't do it, pure and simple. The whole situation is "risky", so your move doesn't add all that much to it, given that he could pull the trigger (on purpose or by accident) at any given moment anyway.

Some of the things (like constant talking/pleading, etc. as you sneak up to pull off a getaway, etc.) I've come to on my own, so it's nice to hear a confirmation from someone with experience in the area... Although I found that without practice your own "fake" talking and pleading can distract YOU, take away from your own awareness and sensitivity, of which you will need 200% in a situation like that... I.e. practice of a "live scenario" like that, with actual talking, etc., is a must.

Thanks for posting it.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:30 pm

any attempt at a gun disarm is trying to make the best of a bad situation.

however, i'm not sure i like that redirect. i think it's better to use essentially the same motion but to slide the hand, palm out, behind the weapon to pull the line of fire away from your body (to the front and away). there's quite a few degree's of motion that keep the muzzle of that weapon pointed at your skull in the disarm shown in the video.

but i don't think too many people put a gun to your head that way anyway.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby I am... on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:16 pm

If a person has a gun on your point blank, they have already taken away from themselves the portion of the weapon that gives it an advantage over a knife. If you are practicing disarms from a gun held against your head or body, why not practice what to do when a person has a gun, held at their waist, directed at you, from about 8-10 feet away (an even more worst case scenario). Like other things, context matters quite a bit. Training what to do when we are in that position is kind of backwards though in some ways. How did we end up there in the first place? Escaping it is of course an issue, but preventing it from reaching that point is at least as big of an issue.

Long story short though, I guess I am just illustrating that this is indeed not my thing. How big is the payoff? If someone has a gun at your head, with intent to kill, you are dead, regardless of what you know. Try it with a paintball or airsoft sometime and see what you find.

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:29 pm

Not only do I find the disarm unrealistic and dangerous to the defender (for some of the reasons noted in the first comment), it looks to me that the instructor does not know how to handle a gun either. As one who has taught close range weapons defence to professionals who needed to know how, I cannot recommend this.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:30 pm

Ken
Can you point us to a good video on disarms ?

Thank you.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:30 pm

ashe wrote:i think it's better to use essentially the same motion but to slide the hand, palm out, behind the weapon to pull the line of fire away from your body (to the front and away).

When I tried to improvise on that situation, I actually did exactly that, while turning the head away (to the left in his case) to help get out of the line.
But that's not saying much, because you probably won't be able to tell the angle at which he's holding it relative to the center of your head. It is possible (though maybe less likely) that it could be pointing more "from outside in" than "from inside out" and then this direction would become just as risky as the other one.

I also agree that people would probably hold it differently, probably more from behind and from below-up, like behind the ear at 45 degrees into the center of the head or something.
I'm certainly no expert in how to best hold your gun to your hostage's head though... ;D
Last edited by Dmitri on Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:53 pm

I am... wrote: If someone has a gun at your head, with intent to kill, you are dead, regardless of what you know. Try it with a paintball or airsoft sometime and see what you find.

i wouldn't say that. although the odds are definitely on the side of the weapon holder, even in a case where people just got shot in the head outright there are numerous cases of survivors (bullet grazing the skull, passing through the ear canal or sinus cavity, etc.). not that i would want to take my chances.

i think it's a fair statement to say though that if you try to disarm a weapon holder, you will get cut or shot, but might live. like i said, it's just a case of trying to make the best of a (very) bad situation.
Last edited by ashe on Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:50 pm

what do you guys think of these disarms?

if I absolutely had to disarm a gun, I'd much rather have it against my body than held as in the following clip.

Ian

Postby I am... on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:37 pm

Those two clips had a lot of good stuff in them. The method shown in the second video is along the lines of what I was referring to above as a "worst case scenario" for a gun disarm, and is an example of how I would prefer to move with a weapon in a close(r) quarters situation.

-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby cdobe on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:36 am

I can recommend the following video
http://zipidee.com/zipidPreview.aspx?vid=59321627-5809-4c87-b8df-ff7c52ffe8df
It addresses the issues of when your defense triggers the gun to go off and when not. The instructors have done a lot of experimenting with paintballs and demonstrate it in this video.

CD
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:30 am

Paul Castle has the right stuff. I do a similar gun against head disarm, but I make sure I am dropping my head or body away from the weapon as my hand moves the weapon away. His training methods look excellent.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:35 am

cdobe wrote:I can recommend the following video
http://zipidee.com/zipidPreview.aspx?vid=59321627-5809-4c87-b8df-ff7c52ffe8df
It addresses the issues of when your defense triggers the gun to go off and when not. The instructors have done a lot of experimenting with paintballs and demonstrate it in this video.

CD

hey those are the "choke" guys! cool.
Last edited by ashe on Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Return to Video Links