My matches from this weekends Grappling tournament

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

My matches from this weekends Grappling tournament

Postby Butterball on Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:12 am

These are from the Gi division on sunday. I ended up winning first place:

No Gi on Saturday, won one, lost one. The second match was exciting for me to have, it was against a good black belt that I've been watching video on for a while and I was looking forward to competing against:

Butterball
Great Old One

Re: My matches from this weekends Grappling tournament

Postby qiphlow on Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:32 am

good stuff! looks like fun.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:31 am

Wow, that last one was against a black belt?! You did extremely well IMHO.

Overall -- nice and soft, relaxed, plenty of patience... good work, FWIW. 8-)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Butterball on Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:45 am

Dmitri wrote:Wow, that last one was against a black belt?! You did extremely well IMHO.

Overall -- nice and soft, relaxed, plenty of patience... good work, FWIW. 8-)

Thanks man! Yeah, he's a Black belt over at Renzos place and he's got some badass leglocks and really slick armbar stuff. (He was competing in the Pro division also and there were definitely some "oh snap" moments in his matches, lol). That was a good learning experience for me, definitely. Plus he was a super nice guy.
Butterball
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:23 am

You rolled with a black belt for 6 minutes without tapping? Damn that is good.

Watching him roll you can definately see why the Gracies call it a chess match. Every move he makes has a purpose and he doesn't make mistakes.

Thanks for sharing these I have a feeling you'll be getting your purple soon.

Good times,

G
CaliG

Postby Jeice on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:32 am

I envy your continued access to jiu jitsu... and once I get back to training and back on form, challenge you to gong sau.
Jeice
Anjing

Postby Butterball on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:42 am

CaliG wrote:You rolled with a black belt for 6 minutes without tapping? Damn that is good.

Watching him roll you can definately see why the Gracies call it a chess match. Every move he makes has a purpose and he doesn't make mistakes.

Thanks for sharing these I have a feeling you'll be getting your purple soon.

Good times,

G

Hi CaliG,

Thanks for the kind words! I had the good fortune of getting promoted a few months ago to purple (the videos posted above are from Purple belt lightweight division) and was excited to test it out this weekend at the tournament. I was happy too as it was my first Gold medal as a purple.

Definitely a chess match, which is why I'm super happy for every chance I get to compete against black belts. I haven't beaten any yet in competition, but I always learn something valuable going against them. He felt much more relaxed than other opponents I've gone against and I felt like he was playing the game with finesse and didn't seem to waste much energy.
Butterball
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:33 pm

Oh your already a purple belt, from the vidz it looked blue to me it must be my computer screen.

Well right on man you definately earned it!

From what I've seen once you make purple you're going against the pimp daddies. Maybe that's why it's purple. Purple=Pimped out jiu-jitsu! ;D
Last edited by CaliG on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
CaliG

Postby ashe on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:06 pm

good on ya mang!

how's the action on those zebra mats? i was thinking of going with those f i ever open my own facility but was wondering if they're worth the extra expense.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Butterball on Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:51 pm

CaliG wrote:Oh your already a purple belt, from the vidz it looked blue to me it must be my computer screen.

Well right on man you definately earned it!

From what I've seen once you make purple you're going against the pimp daddies. Maybe that's why it's purple. Purple=Pimped out jiu-jitsu! ;D

Lol, thanks man! Definitely a tougher pimpier crowd, especially the second match (the first one I posted on the top), that dude was tough as hell!
Last edited by Butterball on Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Butterball
Great Old One

Postby Butterball on Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:55 pm

ashe wrote:good on ya mang!

how's the action on those zebra mats? i was thinking of going with those f i ever open my own facility but was wondering if they're worth the extra expense.

Those zebra mats were awesome! After the Grapplers Quest in NJ about six months ago, my instructor got a bunch on discount from the venue (I think GQ sells them discounted after the events) and they are really really good mats. I don't get mat burn on them (the old zebras had too abrasive a surface and it would rip my feet up all the time), plus the are nice and thick which is good especially for newer students. Great company! I think the closest Grapplers Quest to you would be in Vegas in a month or two, it might be worth it to email Brian Cimins (the owner of GQ) and ask if he is selling any for a discount after his event. I'm not sure what his email is, but the website is www.Grapplersquest.com

Hope that helps!
Butterball
Great Old One

Postby kreese on Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:13 pm

Wow, you're good, Josh. I love how calm and relaxed good BJJ people are. No flailing around or wasted movement. Thanks for posting, very inspiring.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:05 pm

Butterball wrote: Hope that helps!

cool. i'll keep that in mind. ;)
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Kurt Robbins on Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:38 am

Good job Josh,
I just got my gaurd pass figured out by your first video (the pass where you stick the knee through the crotch - I kept raising to high on my posting leg and losing balance) -
Congradulations on getting your purple belt! and the tournament results!
Spetacular job with the last opponent - how well did you know his game before you entered the match?

The way he manuvered with his lead leg posted behind him is similar to how I utilize the bottom of guard against bigger people.

I think you move really methodical with superb presision - I love how you jam into someones thighs when your in their guard and dominate their mobility.
Thanks for posting videos
Kurt Robbins
Huajing

Postby Butterball on Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:19 pm

Kurt Robbins wrote:Good job Josh,
I just got my gaurd pass figured out by your first video (the pass where you stick the knee through the crotch - I kept raising to high on my posting leg and losing balance) -
Congradulations on getting your purple belt! and the tournament results!
Spetacular job with the last opponent - how well did you know his game before you entered the match?

The way he manuvered with his lead leg posted behind him is similar to how I utilize the bottom of guard against bigger people.

I think you move really methodical with superb presision - I love how you jam into someones thighs when your in their guard and dominate their mobility.
Thanks for posting videos

Thanks Kurt! I had seen some footage of the Black belt (Daniel Aguilar) in a few tournaments and one of my classmates went against him about six months ago, so I was pretty familiar with some of his game. I knew that he liked to pull guard and immediately go for a kneebar/heelhook on the far leg. I also knew that his back taking was good, and he's good in a scramble; but I also knew that he does occasionally get caught with heel hooks himself so that's what my plan was. To counter his guard pull/kneebar/heel hook at the beginning, I kept my far leg hooked over his bottom leg which frees me to attack his top leg with leg locks. He competed in the Pro division earlier in the day and I saw him pull out some really slick armbar stuff, which I was wary of.

I think my vague plan was to attack hard with heel hooks and try to submit/tire him out (I've been working hard on my conditioning and I felt good) and push the action later on. Unfortunately my heel hook attempts gave him sweep points and allowed him to pass my guard and get my back and such, lol. Now I know strategically what I can work on when I face him or someone like him again.

I love the guard pass you mentioned. I drill the hell out of that one and it's the main one I use, especially in tournaments. The hands gripping the armpits keeps their grubby hands out of my collar and keeps me relatively safe from armbars and the knee in the butt gives a ton of leverage for busting the guard open. In no gi it opens up a whole lot of footlock opportunities (since no gi the rules are more liberal when it comes to footlocks) and in the gi it allows me to enter into my passing sequences.
Butterball
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links