Ma Hong

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Ma Hong

Postby kshurika on Sun May 16, 2010 12:32 pm

This probably has been posted many times. But, while screwing around on YouTube, I thought I'd look up Ma Hong and found this. I studied with him many, many years ago and I still think he was the best Chen stylist I've ever seen. He's retired now, I'm told, and Chen Bing will probably go to the head of the class eventually. But, Ma Hong was/is one of the greats. A true gentleman and a great martial arts scholar. Hope you like it.

kshurika
Wuji

Re: Ma Hong

Postby ors on Sun May 16, 2010 12:35 pm

He's retired now, I'm told, and Chen Bing will probably go to the head of the class eventually...

? Chen Bing with Ma Hong? Have I missed something or what? Are you serious?

Örs
ors
Wuji

Postby Baguaplayer on Sun May 16, 2010 1:26 pm

He did say eventually.
Baguaplayer
Great Old One

Postby NoSword on Sun May 16, 2010 2:08 pm

kshurika wrote:he was the best Chen stylist I've ever seen.

+1.

Watch the kua at 1:01. This would be seriously hazardous to your health if you were on the receiving end.
Your identity is the enemy
NoSword
Wuji

Postby Areios on Sun May 16, 2010 2:40 pm

edit sorry i wanted to post this picture in a nother thread.
Last edited by Areios on Tue May 18, 2010 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Areios
Wuji

Postby Adam S on Sun May 16, 2010 5:21 pm

As far as I know he has slowed down but not retired & still teaches in Shijiazhuang

Umm-the Chen Bing reference I dont get

If your talking about the next generation from the village then yes CB & CZQ will be the head guys I assume

Many from the village lines dont think much of Ma Hong

But personally I feel that between MH, CY & FZQ(pre 90's) you have a direct link to how CZK trained
Proud Tree & Qi Hugger
Adam S
Wuji

Postby mixjourneyman on Sun May 16, 2010 5:58 pm

Ma Hong is quite amazing, especially to have that degree of flexibility at his age.
He is a real inspiration.
My teacher credits Ma Hong with helping him make a lot of improvements in his Taijiquan.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby ChiBelly on Sun May 16, 2010 6:59 pm

I heard that he did not start practicing Chen until older (40 or so)? I don't understand his fajin. His Taiji is quite distinct from CY or FZQ, and I can usually recognize his students by their method.
-
ChiBelly
Grandmaster of Mouth Gongfu
https://www.facebook.com/molingtaiji
ChiBelly
Huajing

Postby kshurika on Sun May 16, 2010 9:46 pm

Yes, I did write "eventually" in regard to Chen Bing. I've studied with him in classes and privately and he's great. He's also young. But, he's as serious as they come. And, he always gives a lot more than the grandmasters I've studied with (and I mean them no disrespect). But, Ma Hong was still the greatest. I wish I'd taken more advantage of his considerable skill.

BTW, NoSword, thanks for posting that additional, fantastic vid. Areios, have you been drinking? Your post makes no sense.
Last edited by kshurika on Sun May 16, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kshurika
Wuji

Postby Adam S on Mon May 17, 2010 4:23 am

Chi Belly

Yes your basically correct he did not have a martial arts up bringing

He got into yangs taiji for his health-believe late 20's early 30's

swapped to chens & then met CZK-chens in his 30's but was about 44 when he met CZK

I've never heard who he learnt chens from prior to CZK

The second vid by NoSword & the second part of it are my favourite vids of Ma Hong
Proud Tree & Qi Hugger
Adam S
Wuji

Postby ors on Mon May 17, 2010 5:19 am

OK kshurika. Now I can understand your post, I think.... Sorry! ban English-fu.

Örs
ors
Wuji

Postby kreese on Mon May 17, 2010 7:52 pm

NoSword wrote:
kshurika wrote:he was the best Chen stylist I've ever seen.

+1.

Watch the kua at 1:01. This would be seriously hazardous to your health if you were on the receiving end.

How so?
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Mon May 17, 2010 8:41 pm

I was wondering the same thing.
Ian

Postby NoSword on Mon May 17, 2010 9:17 pm

Ian and Kreese:

Not sure whether your question is regarding Ma's stature as a Chen stylist in general or my specific observation regarding his kua.

With regards to the first question, I dunno if I'd say he's "the best Chen stylist I've ever seen," especially never having seen him in person and never having practiced Chen myself. However, on the basis of what I've seen his gongfu is impressive -- very precise body mechanics, lively and smooth as hell. I also get the impression that he is a great teacher. Any martial artist's personality shows through in the way they play their form, and you can tell from watching Ma Hong's form that he is not only a skilled martial artist but a refined individual as well. For me that's the ultimate measure. I don't know about his fighting skills but given his credentials, I assume that he's got the goods.

So...how about 'an underrated, still-living Chen stylist who's got some sick footage available on Youtube'?

With regards to the second question, I think it is an excellent demonstration of unimpeded flow of energy from the ground up through the hip joints. He's clearly not just shaking them for looks or emphasis, which you see a lot in less-sophisticated Chen taiji. Like I said, I haven't practiced Chen, but I can see that their their practice method privileges this type of jin, which is similarly emphasized in the Tongbei I practice (albeit in a different frame.) Really, all CMA ought to display a clear line of energy transference through the kua, but different styles present it in different ways, and all too often it's absent altogether.

Having been on the receiving end of that type of power, I can say that it is frightening indeed. And having worked to cultivate it myself, I can also say that it is not easy to achieve. It requires a lot of openness such as that developed through splits practice, but that is really just a necessary-but-not-sufficient condition -- takes a lot of integration, articulation, stability, etc. If Ma Hong really didn't start practicing until adulthood, his achievement is doubly impressive. Obviously, just being able to express this type of power in your form is, again, a necessary-but-not-sufficient condition -- you also need to know how to unload it on an opponent.

Does that answer your questions?
Last edited by NoSword on Mon May 17, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your identity is the enemy
NoSword
Wuji

Postby kshurika on Mon May 17, 2010 9:42 pm

How about Ma Hong? He's still living.
kshurika
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links