Ma Hong

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Ma Hong

Postby kshurika on Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:14 pm

I personally don't think MMA is better than Sun Lu Tang. I think that training and conditioning methods in the intervening years have gotten much, much more sophisticated. I think that the union of martial arts represented by MMA and the concurrent cross-training give the fighter a much more varied arsenal to use. Couple that with better training, conditioning, diet, medical care, living conditions, etc. etc. etc. Do you get my point?

I have no doubt that someone who has devoted his life to xingyi training at a very deep level, or boxing, or Muay Thai, or (insert favorite MA here, but avoid Wing Chun) could knock out B.J. Penn. But, B.J. has the advantage of everything I mentioned above and very few of the disadvantages that Sun Lu Tang had to face........... like poverty, for instance.
kshurika
Wuji

Postby Bwil on Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:05 am

In regards to sophistication of modern training methodologies I think it is worth noting that the cutting edge of exercise physiology is re affirming historical and even ancient curricula while moving away from most of the exercise "advancements" of the last 50 years.

Pover & malnutrition however, especially when young are very real limiting factors for potential. Global populations who are born into households that average less than 15,000 $US p/year show less height, weight, lean muscle mass, life expectancy, greater risk of cancer etc.

B
Bwil
Huajing

Postby Dmitri on Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:27 am

BillyK wrote:
Dmitri wrote:Billy may I ask where does your weapons training come from?
TIA

huh? i don't really have weapon training. never found a good teacher. i use weapons like i use my hands - surely not perfect, but it will have to do.
the only weapon against weapon fight i had was with swords against someone from a renaissance fair who wanted to give the TMA boy a good thrashing. ;D
short of that, i've always been unlucky enough not to have anything usable as a weapon on hand.

The reason I asked was you saying "i fought knife fighters before and don't have a scratch", so I was just curious.
Thanks for your answers.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:03 am

Serious question:
WAS Sun Lu-tang consdiered a fighter? My understanding is that he was more of an MA academic of his time who had a few challenge fights. I have never heard or read of him being in a life or death fight.

If we must compare the fighters of yore to the fighters of today, why not choose someone with better/wider fighting experience and qualifications? Say, Cheng Tung-sheng, who WAS known as a man who successfully fought various challenges, various sports matches, and had a range of street confrontations. Or even Chen Fa-ke, who fought at least one life-or-death battle (the famous skirmish at the gates of Wenxian) and also took on all comers when he first arrived in Beijing, including name wrestlers.

But overall, I think Chang's combative experience and outstanding conditioning (check out the pics of him in his prime with his shirt off) would make him one of the few old timers who might give the MMA types of today a run for his money.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:38 pm

It seems that in China, Sun is considered to have been at the top rung of CMA - a genius, if you will.

I cannot remember details off the top of my head, but Sun had many fights as well - including with shuaijiao folks in Baoding (which is why people in Hebei started to get interested in neijiaquan there), his incapacitating and capturing a criminal (the "flying thief" who used qinggong to steal and rape, escaping easily afterwards) using his own qinggong and the seven star rod (he was given this job by the government), and so on. Of course there were various challenges as well.

No, he did not enter the UFC, but he was (is) respected by the CMA community for sure, despite his slight build.
edededed
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links