Interview with Yang Hai

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Interview with Yang Hai

Postby mixjourneyman on Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:51 am

xingyijuan wrote:As generous as Yang Hai is, that would be too much asking for anyone. ;)

I mean, you pay him and it's still obvious your shit is fake! :P ;D

Seriously, there are so many things going on that you can't catch on a video. I mean, his talk is pretty nice but his actions are so much neater. You have to feel this guys techniques at least once. But this is a discussion board and we need this going forward. That's why I asked Bao to give his opinion. ;)

This is wimp Lo, our master taught him wrong, just as a joke, ya know?
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:25 pm

mayhaps you can divide the interview up by questions? list which questions are answered in which clip?
nianfong
Administrator

Postby mixjourneyman on Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:55 pm

Thats a good idea.
I'll ask him (or Juan, maybe you can if you see him before I do) to tell us the sequence.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:23 am

xingyijuan wrote:Good post Bao.

Yes, they were the basics stuff on each art. But, I believe that that's were master Yang sees a problem in the world of martial arts today. The basics are not understood, distorted or plainly left out. For a first interview with an old school teacher from China, on that point it wasn't that bad, wasn't it?

To get conversation going, Bao, what were your expectations? What are the themes that would satisfy the curiosity of a more seasoned player?

Thanks xyj,
Well, first I am a bit disappointed you didn't ask my questions! ;D Nah, seriously I want more about real practical use and I would like to see him demonstrate more of the principles he speak about. It is practical arts we are speaking about, so the ideal is to both demonstrate what you speak about and give a theoretical foundation for what you are showing.

But of course, as someone said, if you can't feel it or test something by yourself, there will still be a lack of understanding. I think that learning through books, videos or via a site like this is like learning how to film or take photos without actually using a camera. But yes, one or two secrets I believe he could give away for free. That would give him more respect and be a better way to marketing himself than anything else, if that is what he want ofcourse (or maybe he just don't believe in secrets? ;) 8-) ).

I see your point. Having a traditional Chinese bad ass IMA teacher explaining basics from his own pov is very valuable indeed. And from that respect this is the very best interview I have watched. Thanks for your work and for Yang Hai doing this!
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby xingyijuan on Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:25 am

Thanks Bao!

You make very good points. I don't want to get too much ahead of myself, since I have no info on this yet, but there are talks about putting something more of an "tutorial" together, focused on applications. Weather the format will be a DVD release or web based is not clear yet. As soon as I know more, eF will be the first to know. ;)
"Power cannot exist without movement"Yang Hai

* Nammies: Comprehension not required.
xingyijuan
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links