James McNeil Xingyi Apps

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: James McNeil Xingyi Apps

Postby stan on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:18 pm

lot of flash not much substance,let him try that on somebody good. the dream is over.

stan
stan
Santi

Postby bigphatwong on Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:57 pm

stan wrote:lot of flash not much substance,let him try that on somebody good. the dream is over.

stan

stan,

James McNeil IS somebody good. I'd reckon fighting him would be more like a nightmare, except you don't get fresh drawers and a cup of chamomile tea when it's over.

By the way, welcome to EF. Now stfu, n00b! :D
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:17 pm

kreese wrote:In the interest of history, can somebody tell us about the various branches of Xingyiquan coming from Hong Yi Xiang and especially Xu Hong Ji? Which of these teachers has fought full-contact? Who has trained full-contact fighters?

I can think of:

via Xu Hong Ji: Mike Patterson*, Vince Black, Dale Shigenaga (sp?), James McNeil, Tim Cartmell*

via Hong Yi Xiang: Su Dong Chen*, Luo De Xiu*, Xu Hong Ji

* has fought in tournaments himself or has trained full-contact fighters with success

corrected
nianfong
Administrator

Postby kreese on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:37 am

kreese wrote:In the interest of history, can somebody tell us about the various branches of Xingyiquan coming from Hong Yi Xiang and especially Xu Hong Ji? Which of these teachers has fought full-contact? Who has trained full-contact fighters?

I can think of:

via Xu Hong Ji: Mike Patterson*, Vince Black, Dale Shigenaga (sp?), James McNeil, Tim Cartmell*, Charles Alsip (?) in Indiana, USA

via Hong Yi Xiang: Su Dong Chen*, Luo De Xiu*, Xi Hong Ji

* has fought in tournaments himself or has trained full-contact fighters with success

Edited to add Xu Hong Ji and Charles Alsip (?) thanks to NianFong and a sticky note I had on my desktop
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby gryphonz on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:02 pm

Wasn't Vince Black a fighter?
gryphonz
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:32 pm

John Price trained full contact fighters.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:04 am

stan wrote:lot of flash not much substance,let him try that on somebody good. the dream is over.

stan

. . . Just want to use the pic . . . No offense, but there is a lot of info about this gent on the web. I suggest you read some about him before posting in this thread again.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby kreese on Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:25 am

kreese wrote:

I can think of:

via Xu Hong Ji: Mike Patterson*, Vince Black*, Dale Shigenaga (sp?), James McNeil*, Tim Cartmell*, Charles Alsip (?) in Indiana, USA, John Price*

via Hong Yi Xiang: Su Dong Chen*, Luo De Xiu*, Xi Hong Ji*

- Edited to add Xu Hong Ji and Charles Alsip (?) thanks to NianFong and a sticky note I had on my desktop

- Vince Black and John Price fought/trained fighters
Last edited by kreese on Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
kreese
Great Old One

Postby quickstep on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:32 pm

Last edited by quickstep on Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't ask for an easier life. Ask to be a stronger person.
quickstep
Santi

Postby quickstep on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:53 pm

With ...
Last edited by quickstep on Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
quickstep
Santi

Postby C.J.Wang on Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:27 pm

quickstep wrote:Hey Guys,
You have to add that Xu hong ji trained fighters that used hsing yi in actual military combat not sport competition. He spent a lot of time training Mr. Bingo out of Denver who was in the special forces flying back to vietnam to do covert operations. His work required hand to hand combat. Because of his work Master Xu supposedly trained him most thoroughly. Some aspect of the TST hsing yi system are field proven. Not many current generation CMA practitioners or teachers can make this claim. I would like to add a disclaimer that I don't study with Mr. Bingo.

It's been my experience that when teaching people who need to learn how to apply CMA skills in a relatively short period of time, masters often teach rudimentary techniques that can be learned and used quickly rather than "thoroughly" going through the complete training syllabus.
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:52 pm

In reference to previous discussion on this thread, I trained in Korean Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan from January 1961 until the end of 1968, attaining the rank of Ni-Dan or Second Degree Black Belt. Here is the history of this style, as taught to me by Master S.I. Choi:

Image Image

During the time of the Japanese occupation of Korea (1909-1945), many aspects of Korean culture, including the practice of traditional Korean martial arts, were prohibited by the Japanese. After World War II, the Korean peninsula recovered independence in 1945, and its refugees returned, bringing new forms of martial arts with them, while others then openly resumed the practice of traditional styles such as Kwon Bop, Hwa Soo Do, Kong Soo Do, and Soo Bahk Do.

One such individual was Master Hwang Kee, expert of traditional Soo Bahk Do. Hwang Kee left Korea for Manchuria in 1935 to work for the railroad company, and remained in China until 1945. In 1936 he had the opportunity to meet A Chinese kung-fu teacher, Master Yang Kuk-Jin, who taught a few students out of his home, and who eventually accepted Hwang Kee as a student. During this time period, he learned several Chinese boxing styles, including Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan, Northern Shaolin Long Fist, and Tan Tui. Master Yang taught that these styles were composed of fighting techniques originating in the Tang Dynasty, and referred to them collectively as the Tang Method (Tang-Fa).

By combining the Northern Chinese Tang methods (30%) with the style he was already expert in, namely Korean Soo Bahk Do (60%), and assorted elements of Southern Shaolin and Okinawan methods (10%), Master Ki devised a system of fighting which he brought back to his homeland at the end of Word War II, and named it Tang Soo Do (Tang Hand Way). The most famed Western exponent of this style is Chuck Norris.

Doc
Last edited by Doc Stier on Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby kreese on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:12 am

Did Mr. Bingo only train for a short period of time? What is the ultimate goal of the training syllabus?
kreese
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:26 am

mixjourneyman wrote:Your wrong, its not xingyi.
Compare it to any master from China and you will see its not xingyi.
Actually, it looks just like his splashing hands stuff.
Xingyi is from China and the Chinese have set the standard.
Anything that does not meet that standard aint the real thing.

OTOH, I have seen other people from this lineage who are very good, for instance Mike Patterson.
He expresses xingyi principles in his movements quite well.
And again, I'm totally willing to believe that Mr.Mcneil improved his xingyi since the making of that video.

The thing is, you can have serious martial power from another style you practiced and still not be practicing the art you claim you are practicing.
People will believe you because to be honest, the level of xingyi in the west is very low, but now that we have things like youtube, we can see to level Chinese masters and know how xingyi is meant to be practiced.

I'm sorry if that offends you, but it is the truth.

You complain people don't debate principles/classics with you. Can you name a principle of XingYi that he is breaking? Just one would do.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby quickstep on Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:31 am

Last edited by quickstep on Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
quickstep
Santi

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links