BREXIT

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: BREXIT

Postby GrahamB on Tue May 04, 2021 10:00 am

That'll be tough, because there are no benefits of the deal. Just lots of industries that are being destroyed, particularly fishing, but manufacturing is all heading to europe... in most cases the industries that are being destroyed were the ones convinced to vote for it.

Oh I tell a lie- it was a tax dodge orchestrated by the wealthy, so there are a few benefits, if you're in the 1% of the super elite. Maybe you can find one of the 1% to come on and remind us why we should 'take back control'? Maybe Sir James Dyson?
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue May 04, 2021 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Tue May 04, 2021 1:26 pm

Peacedog wrote:[img]

Nah! No one is crying just pointing out that whole US to the rescue was a sham.
Last edited by gzregorz on Thu May 06, 2021 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed May 05, 2021 11:43 pm

Got to remember that this is the world we live in.

DEMONS!
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu May 06, 2021 4:57 am

The Express is one of the dreadful nationalistic papers that pushed so hard for Brexit. Even they are talking about Scottish fishing "collapsing".

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/14308 ... norway-spt
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu May 06, 2021 5:07 am

GrahamB wrote:DEMONS!
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu May 06, 2021 5:17 am

GrahamB wrote:The Express is one of the dreadful nationalistic papers that pushed so hard for Brexit. Even they are talking about Scottish fishing "collapsing".

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/14308 ... norway-spt

This seems like many people who are legitimately concerned. I'm not sure why the talks would break down

UK fishermen were voicing their discontent once more this week after the collapse of post-Brexit talks over access to Norwegian seas spelt the end of the UK’s distant-water fishing industry after hundreds of years.

Hundreds of fishermen and support staff face being left without work and fish and chip shops across Britain will be selling Arctic cod imported from Norway rather than landed by UK ships.

Hull West and Hessle MP Emma Hardy told The Independent the failure of talks was a “devastating” blow not only for jobs and incomes in the city but for “Hull’s proud maritime history which was built on its distant fleet”.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby vadaga on Wed May 19, 2021 3:42 am

Yesterday there was talk of the UK government invoking 'Force Majeure' to get out of the Northern Ireland protocol which gave me a chuckle.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed May 19, 2021 9:58 am

It's these bloody foreigners not playing cricket! They're reading the bloody contract. Sad!
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:51 am

Brexit has brought no benefits, UK manufacturers say

"It’s very difficult to date for manufacturers to see any benefit from leaving," an organisation representing thousands of businesses has said.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/ ... rs-285873/

If only somebody had seen this coming!
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby denchen on Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:49 am

GrahamB wrote:Brexit has brought no benefits, UK manufacturers say

Good news for tradesmen like myself, perhaps not so much for middle class, tax evading employers of european builders and nannies undercutting the market
- silver linings and all that :)

https://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/ ... -in-a-year
https://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/ ... xit-factor
denchen
Mingjing

Postby Steve James on Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:28 am

Well, tradesmen salaries are rising in the States too, but mostly because of a covid induced labor shortage. The cost of building materials has also risen sharply. But, that's not a good thing for consumers.

Anyway, I don't know anything about the Brexit effect. I used to work in the trades, and I see that now there's a shortage of workers. I wish it'd been like this back in the day, when people were working on "permit" and taking pay cuts.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:31 am

Talking about tradesmen:

"Conversation with the dads at my son’s footie training yesterday was eye opening and annoying in equal measure. First of all, I’m fairly certain they ALL voted for Brexit. Second, they are ALL tradesmen, some of whom run their own businesses.

The headline is that construction costs have gone up about 40-60 per cent on average.

The sparkies will not quote for jobs now, unless they are immediate starts as the wholesale cost for cabling/copper is only guaranteed by the wholesaler for 3 days.

One of the local brickyards, which has been going for 70 years, and has taken that long to build up enough stock to be the main supplier locally now has zero, yes, ZERO bricks in stock. Everything is pre order only.[...]"

https://westcountrybylines.co.uk/constr ... -by-brexit
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:43 am

Looks, that Poland is following Britain.
1% is pulling Poland out from the Union, for their own good.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:31 am

Currently the UK is really enjoying the "sunlit uplands" of Brexit.

The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:53 am

Hey Graham, where are the reports from people who are loving the Brexit?

What do you think about the EU decision to require usb-c ports on cellphones.
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic