Decoding the Gurus: Joe Rogan

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Decoding the Gurus: Joe Rogan

Postby vadaga on Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:03 am

善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:04 am

‘A Menace to Public Health’: Doctors Demand Spotify Puts an End to Covid Lies on ‘Joe Rogan Experience’

As an infectious disease epidemiologist and research fellow at Boston’s Children’s Hospital who debunks health misinformation on Instagram —where she has more than 380,000 followers — Jessica Malaty Rivera regularly receives tips from her followers about viral content to debunk. A few weeks ago, her followers started sending her a link to an episode of the Joe Rogan Experience, the most popular podcast in the world. The episode was an interview with Dr. Robert Malone, a virologist who touts himself as one of the architects of mRNA technology.

Rivera was familiar with Rogan, as well as Malone. She knew that Malone had been banned from Twitter for promoting Covid-19 misinformation, and that he had been making the rounds in conservative media circles undermining the efficacy of the vaccine. When she watched the interview, she was horrified to see that he espoused various conspiratorial and baseless beliefs, from the idea that “mass formation psychosis” is responsible for people believing in the efficacy of vaccines; to the claim popular among anti-vaxxers that hospitals are financially incentivized to falsely diagnose Covid-19 deaths. The episode featuring Malone went viral, and was shared widely in right-wing media circles as well as on Facebook, where the link on Spotify has been shared nearly 25,000 times, according to CrowdTangle data.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:05 am

https://decoding-the-gurus.captivate.fm ... f-untruths

Robert Malone & Peter McCullough: A litany of untruths

Matt and Chris return to the Joe Rogan-verse much quicker than they would have liked to take a critical eye to two recent episodes (6 more hours!!!) offering controversial takes on Covid 19 and the dangers of vaccines. Yes, that's right more fear mongering, more global conspiracies, and more unrecognised heroes of science that Joe needs to promote to his large audience.

In this case, we have Dr. Robert Malone, the *self-proclaimed* inventor of mRNA vaccines, and Dr. Peter McCullough, a cardiologist who was recently sued by his old hospital for using its name when promoting his covid theories. Both figures are well documented promoters of covid misinformation, including in various appearances on extreme right wing conspiracy sites like Alex Jones' InfoWars.

Matt and Chris are no medical experts nor do they play them on podcasts (if you are looking for a point by point technical/medical debunking, we would recommend following the links at the bottom of these show notes). But what they are very familiar with are modern gurus and conspiracy theorists. So in this episode, after twenty plus episodes of calibrating the Gurometer(TM) with known gurus, they take it for a new test with these two maverick doctors. Applying the well-developed science of Gurometry(TM) to a novel dataset. How do they fare? Guess...

Honestly, this is probably the darkest and most depressing episode we've done. It was not fun and we would really prefer to be talking about something else but here we are. Hopefully we will not be back soon...
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:51 pm

Hi G and V,

The unfortunate part about it all is here if you can't work due to long Covid you lose your health care. I imagine there will be many a go fund me for people with long covid often due to not getting the jab because of misinformation. I understand being a skeptic a year ago and it is there right to raise questions but in the end it is also their responsibility to make the right choice instead of adding to our ever growing homeless population. Not a fun country to not have health insurance.

Watch "David Cross: Why America Sucks at Everything" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/aNghg1Y-WIc
Last edited by gzregorz on Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:57 am

善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby gzregorz on Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:40 pm

Joni Mitchell is doing the same. Interesting to see where this goes.

I listen to Padora. If my favorite artists were no longer on there I would move on.
Last edited by gzregorz on Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:20 am

善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby gzregorz on Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:32 pm

I was explaining to friend from the UK how over here when podcasters and entertainers start making the big bucks they leave the left. Not sure which comes first the money or the change. I have a feeling that with Rogan he realized that conspiracy theories have him a bigger cult following which it did and he took the money and ran. I was one of the early listeners back when it was one podcast a week! I always enjoyed him then because he was like any sensible guy and was pretty much open minded and respected people of different races and religions. Then over the years I noticed that he had guests which seemed to see the natives as savages and he was accepting all this as truth which was unfortunate because that is the colonizer's narrative and the narrative of people who don't want to open up their eyes to painful history of the US.

Now Bill Maher has flipped and is now a darling of FOX news. That's how it happens here...

https://youtu.be/KpP_yx3p17g
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:29 pm

he said something like he'll try to have balanced views and he didn't realize the responsibility of having such a giant platform. dunno if that's believable or what, but at face value, it seems to make a lot of sense. if i had a friend who thinks of himself as some average, dumb guy who was funny, on funny shows, comments for mma, gets a podcast, i could see this whole chain of events happening tbh. what's scary to me as a gen x-er is the boomers taking some action in protest/disgust have no power over the gen z listeners. my kids surely don't know who neil young or joni mitchell are.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:04 pm

The mouth breathers are clutching their pearls at this ATTACK on JOURNALISM by the ESTABLISHMENT... i.e. Neil Young not wanting to share a platform with the guy. He's a "Journalist" to them. The Press.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby gzregorz on Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:30 pm

Journalists, doctors, scientists and teachers are all under fire. Basically if you spent your best years doing years of study, research and got educated in any of these fields you should be questioned and seen as the problem. Forget about the fact that you work for a corporation for a few dollars an hour and have to leave California to find affordable housing. Be pissed off at vaccines!
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:12 pm

even though I agree with you, I think the bar is so low that I was expecting joe to say "eff you, I can make more money just listening to idiots since there are more idiots than doctors, etc." and so since he seemingly didn't say that, it's slightly pleasantly surprising. yes bar was 1 cm high and now it's 1.1 cm but... :-\
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby gzregorz on Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:46 am

True, acknowledgement is better than nothing but I doubt he will change much. Hopefully I am wrong.

This page has a good mash up between Rogan's apology and what he says on his podcast.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/vi ... ar-AATnqHe

FWIW my kid just tested positive for Covid today but she just got vaccinated because of her age group is doing fine.

The irony of Rogan is he had virology experts on his show in 2019 who knew what was coming and they had a lot of useful information. One even said there is no need for masks here but if he were in Asia he would wear a mask.

Here's another example of Rogan ripping up an expert on apes. ::)

https://youtu.be/__CvmS6uw7E

The Bili apes or Bondo mystery apes were names given in 2003 in sensational reports in the popular media to a purportedly new species of highly aggressive, giant ape supposedly inhabiting the wetlands and savannah around of the village of Bili in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.[1][2] "The apes nest on the ground like gorillas, but they have a diet and features characteristic of chimpanzees", according to a 2003 National Geographic article.[1]

It soon turned out they were common chimpanzees,[3][4] and part of a larger contiguous population stretching throughout that part of northern Congo.
Last edited by gzregorz on Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
gzregorz
Wuji

Previous

Return to Off the Topic