new thread on covid-19 updates in your location

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: new thread on covid-19 updates in your location

Postby everything on Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:08 am

Projections for US deaths in August has been dropping (80ish thousand to 60ish thousand).
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:54 pm

windwalker wrote:An education is a terrible thing to waste

Sure, although I don't have the time to handhold through all of your fallacies. But let's take a crack at one of your parroted talking points

Got it

We can talk about differences of opinion or you can tell us about your education sup to you.

I hear student loans are a bitch.

So, I point out that you are pedaling dangerous and unsubstantiated claims and your response is to bring up my education? That's a strange tactic. Also, all of my graduate education has been fully funded. Thank you for your contributions.

Would you like to stay on topic?
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:55 pm

everything wrote:Projections for US deaths in August has been dropping (80ish thousand to 60ish thousand).

Very heartening! It looks like social distancing, although painful, is doing its job.
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:23 pm

April 9 totals. Got the infographic from The Sun.

Michael

Postby windwalker on Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:26 pm

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:So, I point out that you are pedaling dangerous and unsubstantiated claims and your response is to bring up my education? That's a strange tactic. Also, all of my graduate education has been fully funded. Thank you for your contributions.

Would you like to stay on topic?

As a retired vet, thank you for contributions

You might want to follow your own advice staying on topic, understanding that all opinions yours included are equal viewpoints nothing more...

For some reason you keep bringing up your education relative to others, suggesting it gives your fantasies about what others may think
some validity.

It doesn't

pedaling dangerous and unsubstantiated claims

wow comrade, starting to get it now...any viewpoint different from your own is a "dangerous and unsubstantiated claim"

while all those from approved sources are not....

got it... ;)

One of the most vexing mysteries at the moment that can undermine modeling is whether people with 2019-nCoV who do not have symptoms can transmit an infection. It’s possible that there are infected people who never become ill but still transmit.

There also may be infected people who transmit before they develop symptoms. “Most of the fate of the epidemic is in this element,” Vespignani says.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02 ... rd-predict

As been pointed out, this virus is a little different in that one may have it, not be affected by it and yet be able to transmit it.

The viral diagnostic tests being used to confirm cases now typically are only done on people seeking care because they are ill.

reflecting what I and others have noted

"peace dog "

As I've mentioned here before, until a significant percentage of the US population gets tested all of the numbers being thrown about really don't mean much. With fewer than 3M of a total population of 375M in the US having been tested any conclusions on infection rates/mortality/population/cohort/etc. information have no real meaning.
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:28 pm

back of envelope math, another 100k cases in the usa, and each of us on average knows about 1 person affected (based on 330 million / 600 people known per person on average = 550k).

we already know some rsf members may have had it and I'm sure you're probably hearing of friends or relatives of friends already. I haven't heard of any deaths or recoveries from my networks yet (aside from those of you on rsf who have recovered from something that sounds like covid-19). If you're in an "epicenter" I'm sure it's different.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:36 pm

You might want to follow your own advice staying on topic, understanding that all opinions yours included are equal viewpoints nothing more...

No, that's not quite right. You may not understand it, but you are talking about modern medicine but ignoring the methodology of modern medicine. It's not about opinions.

For some reason you keep bringing up your education relative to others, suggesting it gives your fantasies about what others may think
some validity.

Huh? Where did I bring up my education in the following?

This is quite the string of conservative wacko talking points here.

Indeed, models may be adjusted given the surprisingly cooperative efforts in many areas re social distancing. That is a great thing, but the people pushing the notion that "the models being wrong" meant that it was never a threat and we should just get "back to normal" and blame the more reasonable press outlets who actually listen to experts rather than rabid economists and egocentric leaders are completely off base.

The idea that pumping up the numbers is some sort of anti-Trump tactic is laughable on its face, as the depts and team he controls are reporting these numbers.

The focus on the death of Covid19 patients being attributed to Covid19 is just another attempt to downplay the dangers both present and real. A smarter question would be: how many people are dying of Covid19 and having their deaths attributed to other causes (eg: before there was testing or much knowledge about it, or people dying alone).

Mixing a bit of fact in with all your fiction doesn't really make you any less dangerous in your repetition of Diamond and Silk talking points. For example, your misstatement about antimalarials.

What's next? 5G towers?

You are the one bringing it up.

pedaling dangerous and unsubstantiated claims

wow comrade, starting to get it now...any viewpoint different from your own is a "dangerous and unsubstantiated claim"

while all those from approved sources are not....

got it... ;)

Show your sources. It is unsubstantiated as of yet for the reason I laid out. It's dangerous because it can kill people, as substantiated by the same method.

I also have no idea where this strange attribution of Communism is coming from, other than it being some sort of Right Wing catch-all for people who don't agree with you. It has no bearing on the subject: Covid19
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:45 pm

Michael wrote:April 9 totals. Got the infographic from The Sun.

Damn, Mike. Texas is already in the maroon, as is Florida and Louisiana. But, it stands to reason that the states with the largest populations will have the biggest number of cases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtcdKtWyiIA
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:50 pm

everything wrote:back of envelope math, another 100k cases in the usa, and each of us on average knows about 1 person affected (based on 330 million / 600 people known per person on average = 550k).

we already know some rsf members may have had it and I'm sure you're probably hearing of friends or relatives of friends already. I haven't heard of any deaths or recoveries from my networks yet (aside from those of you on rsf who have recovered from something that sounds like covid-19). If you're in an "epicenter" I'm sure it's different.

having family members who've had to shutdown their businesses
and others who may have been infected never able to get tested now recovering.
wife working in the Chinese community as a home care worker

Gets a little tiring, the bullshit, posited as right wing, talking points. ect.. for differing opinions

The world has had pandemics in the past.
Remains to be seen how this one compares.

Mixing a bit of fact in with all your fiction doesn't really make you any less dangerous in your repetition of Diamond and Silk talking points. For example, your misstatement about antimalarials.

See what I mean.....Never attributed to ones own understanding, always attributed to someone else.
apparently some here think they are the only ones that can arrive at their own conclusions all others are "talking points"

its funny,,a well worn tactic

what's dangerous are those attempting to control or shut down other viewpoints

proclaiming differing "viewpoints" as "dangerous"

back the scheduled programming :P
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Michael on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:40 pm

Yeah, Steve, they are concerned in the city of Houston / Harris County, Texas. The Houston mayor has decided to close the parks for Easter weekend and he made that decision today just after the Harris County judge did the same for county parks. I haven't watched the Houston mayor's address today on YT from local TV station KHOU, but here's the link in case anyone wants to go through it. Sometimes I download the CC's and scan through them when I don't want to watch nearly 2 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sRh6RYa1Ac
Michael

Postby Steve James on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:42 pm

"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:02 pm

Mayor Bill de Blasio confirmed the general arrangement, but said that it was not “Covid-specific,” noting that prisoners have been digging graves on Hart Island for years.

https://theintercept.com/2020/03/31/rik ... ss-graves/

apparently this practice was going on for awhile something planned for in 08

In 2008, Rikers prisoners were burying roughly 20 to 25 bodies per week there, the report found.

wow :o ,,,,those living in or around NYC
did anyone know about this?
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:16 pm

About Hart Island or how prisoners in correctional facilities were employed? Sure. There have been videos about Hart Island, and prisoners have been used for lots of things besides license plates. And, almost every big city has a Potter's Field where unclaimed bodies are buried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1MdDA4uuJs

The only thing exceptional about these burials now are that they are due to volume. Funeral homes are running out of space.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:15 pm

People at my partner's hospital are dying, but they are not overwhelmed yet. I'm hopeful that it won't get as bad as NYC. People in the areas I have been are doing a good job of keeping distance and wearing PPE or whatever they can scrounge. There are always exceptions, though. Several of my colleagues have tested positive, but I only know of one who is hospitalized (in Asia). So far my siblings and their families in NYC and DC are okay, and I know they are being careful.

It's been surreal seeing Chicago so empty on the few outings we have had to make. I don't mind being shut in as I am just doing research and translations. I think we are both waiting for the other shoe to drop, though. There is an anticipatory stress that my wife and all her coworkers are feeling...Hoping that there won't be a spike, hoping they don't get sick, dealing with insufficient PPE, etc...
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:33 am

`cause we have more time than usual...
Guys,
did you sow this old (80`)move?
little bit another virus kind hit the planet and :) :

https://youtu.be/lwleaxA0ps0

`cause I`m unable to find whole thing,

in the last move sequence:
but why?
...well,
when we acclaimed quarantine, it works so good, that nobody cares to neglected it....
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic