Russia - Georgia War

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Russia - Georgia War

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:21 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7546639.stm

This is over South Ossetia. US is getting diplomatically involved too.

Like one of my colleagues said, the timing is great: with the Olympics coverage, there is less media attention for this. ;)
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Re: Russia - Georgia War

Postby Mike Strong on Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:37 am

Best case scenario: Russia will take Ossetia & claim it as it's own, - and then the International Commuity will say, " okay, re-draw the maps, this is it, game over".

Worst case scenario: The Russians go all the way to The Georgian Capital, and fuck shit up big time.

Peace

m. strong
Mike Strong

Postby Finny on Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:07 am

um - they pretty much already are
Finny
Great Old One

Postby Mike Strong on Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:30 am

They are in Tskinvali, The Capital of South Ossetia ...

... The Capital of Georgia is ???

Tivo... Tivi... I know it's not Atlanta.
Mike Strong

Postby Mike Strong on Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:39 am

Tbilisi !

Tbilisi is the capital of Georgia.

Russian planes have bombed military bases outside of Tblilsi, but their tanks are all in Tskinvali.

This is a Chess Game, ...

... a chess game with a death toll.

Let's hope the Russians are satisfied with taking South Ossetia, and calling it Check Mate, - GAME OVER.
Mike Strong

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:03 am

it's unfortunate that men on a world stage that have political power and command over legions still resort to pissing matches that cost others lives instead of their own.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:11 pm

I heard this morning that the Russians are bombing areas outside of the real estate they are tyring to grab.

Isn't Russia big enough? I understand the locals are mostly Russian, but...still.

The Soviets tried this same trick with Poland in the 20s, but they got their asses handed to them.

Unfortunately they tried it again a second time with the help of the Germans.
CaliG

Postby Muad'dib on Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:43 pm

Standard Russian play. Crime at home, focus on nationalism and conquest... If we leave them alone long enough they'll be reinvading Afghanistan, with us still there. Seriously though, they can throw as much weight/firepower around in their old territories as they want, and the West will not say shit, because Russia has damn near nothing to lose in a war with anyone, and everyone else would get majorly fucked up.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:06 pm

CaliG

Postby Muad'dib on Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:55 pm

I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:21 am

Here's the message that my sister from Moscow was trying to spread "in the West": :)
People of the world, you have been deceived! World mass media propagate false information. Russia DID NOT ATTACK Georgia! On August 7, 2008 at 22:00 Georgia has attacked South Ossetia. On August 8 at 3:30 tanks of the Georgian army have entered into the city of Tskhinvali. It proceeded with artillery bombardment and other military actions, against both Ossetian army and the civilian population. Over 1400 civilians lives have already been lost. The Russian peacemakers have arrived to South Ossetia in the evening of August 8 for settlement of the conflict and establishment of ceasefire and peace in the republic, as well as protection of the Russian citizens living on the territory of South Ossetia. Georgia has attacked South Ossetia on the eve of the Olympic Games, which is the height of cruelty and cynicism. Proof and video materials can be found at http://www.itar-tass.com/txt/eng/level2 ... roupID=146. Let us say 'No' to war!!!

My family is in North Ossetia, through which all the Russian troops are going and into which all the refugees are pouring... Their view is fairly close to the one above, i.e. the Georgia's president is a maniac who invaded South Ossetia, etc.

As far back as I can remember (having spent the first 26 years of my life in that region), South Ossetia wasn't very different from North Ossetia, except that it is much closer to Georgia so the linguistic and cultural overlap is a lot bigger with Georgia than with Russia. However both North and South Ossetia have always been parts of "Russian Federation" (within the former Soviet Union) whereas Georgia had a status of "republic" (whatever very little that meant, in the Soviet times :)) So logistically it has always ("always" meaning "after Stalin moved some folks around 50-60 years ago") been a part of Russia until several years ago it split with parts of it trying to become an independent state, parts wanting to remain with Russia and parts wanting to join with Georgia.

There has always been a LOT of bloodshed in that region, historically, so this is not very surprising. Thankfully (for me personally) North Ossetia has SO many Russian troops in it that hopefully my family will be OK. (I spoke with them yesterday and they said that aside from the flood of refugees and movement of troops, it pretty quiet there.)

FWIW
Last edited by Dmitri on Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Mike Strong on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:12 am

The Russian "peacekeepers" have Blitzkrieged right through South Ossetia, - and rolled right up to the edge of Tiblisi ...

... that's not very peaceful.

I doubt anyone in North Ossetia has anything to worry about. ::)
Mike Strong

Postby Dmitri on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:36 am

That's true, but you can't ignore the context. I'm just presenting the "other side's" POV... There's always two in any conflict, and both honestly believe that they're right -- otherwise there would be no conflict to begin with... So, the claim there is that it was a response to Georgia's attack, and we all know that there can't be peace in a situation like that until some substantial power has been at least displayed.

I'm not taking sides here, believe it or not, although I'm obviously glad my relatives don't live in South Ossetia. I'm just trying to point out that the other side thinks their POV is just as valid. (Which is always the case in any confrontation.)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:39 am

I am curious as to what the part about US support of Georgian forces is having to do with the story that is being told here.
As in, wtf is with the involvement with proxy wars against the russians? wtf are those old farts in the pentagon thinking?
Last edited by Darth Rock&Roll on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Mike Strong on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:49 am

I know Dimitri, - I know.

Georgia has two "break-a-way provinces".

Most of the citizens of South Osettia hold Russian passports, ...

... why don't they just move to Russia ?

Georgia is a soverign country, - and this war is a Russian LAND GRAB, ( and punishment for Georgia trying to join NATO ).
Mike Strong

Next

Return to Off the Topic