I hate NY state...

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

I hate NY state...

Postby MikeC on Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:14 pm

Ok, so I'm trying to get an electrician to do some work on my house. I need my service upgraded to 200Amp. I had one guy who did some really small work for me, but he wasn't licensed for my county. Eh, no big deal. He refers me to a buddy of his who is supposed to be pretty good, but he's licensed in two counties that are adjacent to mine, but not in my county. He calls me back today telling me that in order to get a license in my county he needs to take a test and spend 500 bucks for the license. Even though he already has a state license and he's already licensed in two other counties next to me. So he tells me he can't do it. I ask him if he can recommend anyone in my area and he says he doesn't know anyone. Now mind you, I could prolly go through the yellow pages and find someone, but for something like this it's usually good to start with someone recommended to you. I'm just amazed in this state how every friggin County is like a goddam little fiefdom who can make their own rules and regulations, irregardless of the state.
Fucking aggravating!

Mike
MikeC

Re: I hate NY state...

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:22 pm

Renovations are usually frustrating, in my limited experience. You remind me that I also have to call an electrician to install two bathroom fans.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby MikeC on Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:28 pm

Oh, I got a whole list...I know how you feel.
MikeC

Postby Bill on Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:31 pm

Yes, upstate sucks donkey balls !
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby MikeC on Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:42 pm

upstate is actually the better part
MikeC

Postby meeks on Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:02 pm

in Canada, I can get the owner of the property to get a 'home owner permit' and then do the electrical work under that permit as long as we don't admit to any exchange of payment.... it's intended for the homeowner to do the work.

that being said, I've written an exam that allows me to work all across Canada. There might be some minor variances depending on the district/inspector, but you can usually contact them to confirm a few points before starting.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby TaoJoannes on Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:24 pm

I can't imagine possibly needing 200Amps to live, but what a silly set of laws you have there.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby MikeC on Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:33 pm

TaoJoannes wrote:I can't imagine possibly needing 200Amps to live, but what a silly set of laws you have there.

Well, our needs in the North may be different than in the South, I dunno. But I have a really old electrical system, and if you upgrade a system it's good to get more than you need in case you need to add more load to the system(more appliances, hottub, central air, etc...)
MikeC

Postby cerebus on Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:44 pm

MikeC wrote:
TaoJoannes wrote:I can't imagine possibly needing 200Amps to live, but what a silly set of laws you have there.

Well, our needs in the North may be different than in the South, I dunno. But I have a really old electrical system, and if you upgrade a system it's good to get more than you need in case you need to add more load to the system(more appliances, hottub, central air, etc...)

Translation: "Grow-lights take alot of electricity..." ;D ;D ;D
Last edited by cerebus on Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby TaoJoannes on Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:51 pm

MikeC wrote:

Yeah, I can understand it, I'm just at such a low standard of living, it's hard to imagine maxing out a single 15 amp circuit.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby MikeC on Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:51 pm

Doh!

*whistles*
MikeC

Postby qiphlow on Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:16 pm

you could get some illegal mexican immigrants to do the work...

;D
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby MikeC on Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:02 pm

qiphlow wrote:you could get some illegal mexican immigrants to do the work...

;D

Problem is is that after the work is done I think it has to be inspected by the town or something. Don't know if they would verify the license of the contractor or not. Who knows..
MikeC

Postby meeks on Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:58 pm

most new homes are being built with 200 amps these days. it allows for putting in more lighting (for example) using pot lamps rather than a 65 watt bulb on a single bolt on fixture in each room. Plus with new electrical code on kitchen appliances (plus MORE APPLIANCES) such as microwave, fridge, freezer (sometimes 2 separate items), 2 counter plugs to a 2pole breaker spaced about maximum 36 inches apart (older kitchens had 1 or 2 plugs only), garbage disposal, dishwasher, instant hot water, electric stove (instead of gas), wall oven (sometimes), trash compactor, etc...

then you get into living rooms that no longer have a single switched receptacle for a floor lamp to light the whole room... 8 potlights, a tracklight near the fireplace to highlight the wall, some more accent lights over the coffee table, accent lights by the 'show wall' where you might hang large framed art.

home theater?
separate garage needing its own panel? 2 spaces for both phases
jacuzzi? (2 - 4 breaker spaces, GFI)
outdoor hot tub? (4 breaker spaces, and it's a GFI breaker - huge)
washer and dryer? (6 spaces of breakers)

I mention spaces because sometimes it's not the draw of the house (amount of amperage in use) but the number of breaker spaces required that cause a home owner to need to increase the ampacity of the panel. eg: if you need 30 breaker spaces, you can use 100 amps, if you need 48 spaces it's only available in 200 amps....
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Return to Off the Topic