Blacks Barred from Beijing Bars

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Blacks Barred from Beijing Bars

Postby CaliG on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:04 am

Authorities order bars not to serve black people

Tom Miller
July 18,2008

In our series looking at preparations for the Games, Tom Miller reports on plans to crack down on "undesirables" in the bars of Beijing

Beijing authorities are secretly planning to ban black people and others it considers social undesirables from entering the city's bars during the Olympic Games, a move that would contradict the official slogan, "One World, One Dream".

Bar owners near the Workers' Stadium in central Beijing say they have been forced by Public Security Bureau officials to sign pledges agreeing not to let black people enter their premises.

"Uniformed Public Security Bureau officers came into the bar recently and told me not to serve black people or Mongolians," said the co-owner of a western-style bar, who asked not to be named.

The local authorities have been cracking down on blacks and Mongolians in an attempt to stamp out drug dealing and prostitution ahead of the Games, the proprietors said.

A few months ago, police launched a violent sting on black men drinking in the Sanlitun bar district, and a notorious nightclub largely populated by Mongolian prostitutes was also shut down.

Security officials are targeting Sanlitun, which Olympic organisers expect to be a key destination for foreign tourists looking for a party during the Games.

The pledges that Sanlitun bar owners had been instructed to sign agreed to stop a variety of activities in their establishments, including dancing and serving customers with black skin, they said.

They have been allowed to keep copies of all the pledges except those relating to blacks, implying that the authorities are wary of charges of racism.

"I am appalled," said a black British national who works in Beijing. "I understand that the government is trying to stop certain illegal activities, but I don't think blanket discrimination is going about it the right way.

"Chinese people are prejudiced, but I would have hoped that the government would set a better example as it debuts on the world stage."

Calls to Dongcheng district and Chaoyang district public security bureaus, which oversee the bar districts, went unanswered.

The authorities' attempt to keep unwanted behaviour from damaging the squeaky-clean image of the Games is the latest example of heavy-handedness that critics say is killing the party spirit of the Olympics.

During the Athens Olympics four years ago, bars and nightclubs were allowed to stay open all night. But venues in Beijing that are not being shut down during the Games will have to close at 2am and maintain tight security.

"The officials told me to inform my customers that they must at all times carry their passports or ID cards," said one bar owner.

"Security is important, but Beijing is becoming a fortress, and that's not attractive."

Rumours that all bars within 2km of an Olympic venue will need to close remain unconfirmed, with many managers complaining that they still have not been told whether they will be allowed to open or not. Several bars have been raided in the past few weeks as local police step up a campaign of low-level intimidation, according to several witness accounts.

Bar and restaurant managers in Sanlitun have been instructed to remove tables from footpaths in a crude attempt to prevent fighting in the streets.

"The local police told us to get rid of the tables because they're scared that if too many foreigners congregate outside there could be trouble," said Song Xun , who runs a burrito joint in the area.

Local musicians say that a clampdown on live music risks stifling Beijing's thriving cultural scene and giving Olympic tourists the false impression that the city is artistically anaemic.

Several popular live music venues have been shut or instructed to stop all outdoor shows, and club owners complain they have got used to strange new guests nursing a beer for hours and suspiciously observing everything around them.

"The whole music scene is angry and bewildered. It is impossible to understand how keeping tourists from seeing an open, culturally vibrant and diverse Beijing is possibly a good thing for anyone," said one well-known figure in the local music industry.

David Mitchell, a Beijing-based jazz musician, said it had become increasingly difficult for his band to find anywhere to play.

"It appears the local government is trying to control every aspect of the experience that foreigners get when they come here," he said.

"Everything is aimed at creating stability, but they don't understand that is precisely the unfounded prejudice that foreigners have of Chinese society - that it is a highly controlled and not a very cultural place. It seems completely self-defeating."

http://olympics.scmp.com/Article.aspx?id=1300
CaliG

Re: Blacks Barred from Beijing Bars

Postby Steve James on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:21 am

Well, true or not, I look at it like this. No gov't makes laws for things that don't or won't happen. If there must be a law to keep black people out, it must be because they would have been allowed in. That's as true for this as mch as it was true for the race laws in US history. One would expect the opposite, actually. I.e., a consciously racist gov't might make laws/agreements that forced Beijing bar owners, etc., to admit black people --at least while the Olympics were on. This sort of exclusionary agreement --which would be really bad news if it happened during the Olympics, as in one member of a team being refused admittance but the rest being allowed.

I dunno, but it seems like it may end up having the opposite effect.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby josh on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:59 am

Pretty sad.
But, for people that don't know, the area around the Workers' stadium used to be where you went to buy drugs, and if you were a foreigner you couldn't go twenty feet without being approached by Africans selling hash. I spent quite a few nights at the infamous Bus Bar right across from Tiyu gongchang. Frankly, as far as safety goes, I would be much more wary of the hordes of migrant workers in Beijing than those guys, who IME were not looking for trouble.
Last time I was in Beijing they had knocked down a lot of the places around there and were in the process of "sanitizing" the area and the scene was moving to a different area. I can see how it would be important to authorities to "clean up" all of the drug dealing and crazy partying in Sanlitun, as you have the stadium and gymnasium right there, as well as Xiushui market which is a major tourist destination. But if they really have gone to this extreme of outright banning black people, that's pretty weak.
Last edited by josh on Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
通背神拳誰敢擋﹐無影無形無柔剛。兩手捧定千斤法﹐專打邪魔鬼神忙。
josh
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:59 am

i wouod have thought the PRC would have had a policy on drugs similar to thailand...
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Mike Strong on Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:18 pm

Last time I was in Shanghai, I got a lot of offers from Central Asian types wanting to sell me hash, but I thought, even if I don't get rippped off, and I end up with some rightous hashish...

... where am I gonna find a hashpipe ?

I didn't see a lot of headshops, and I'm a back-alley troller. :-\
Mike Strong

Postby Bill on Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:53 pm

Mike Strong wrote: ... where am I gonna find a hashpipe ?

pfft - amateur !
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby bigphatwong on Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:54 pm

That's definitely fucked. Leave it to the Chinese to show the world that segregation is alive and well. :(
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:15 pm

The Chinese? Trust me when I say that you will find prejudice and racism in every single corner of this planet.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:22 pm

the one time i was in sanlitun i saw one african and he asked me if i needed any crack.

obviously we need to EXTERMINATE THEM ALL!!!!!

and, somebody needs to introduce Mike to the potato-pipe, or the carrot-pipe, or even the deliciousness of the apple-pipe, for all his crack-smoking needs.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby bigphatwong on Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:46 pm

I-mon wrote:and, somebody needs to introduce Mike to the potato-pipe, or the carrot-pipe, or even the deliciousness of the apple-pipe, for all his crack-smoking needs.

Allow me.....

Ehhhhhh... what's up, doc?
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:02 pm

I remember this stuff happened about a year ago, but I can't believe they are going to try to pull this off again during the Olypmics.

{ 2007 09 25 }
Crude drug raid highlights ignorance of Beijing’s police

BEIJING, Sept 24 (Reuters) - Chinese paramilitary police swept through a busy bar district in Beijing, detaining about 20 African nationals suspected of selling drugs, witnesses said.

The raid at midnight on Friday in fashionable Sanlitun, also home to many embassies, came as police tighten security ahead of a Communist Party meeting in mid-October and next year’s Olympic Games.

“The paramilitary police sealed off the street at both ends, then moved in,” said a witness surnamed Wang.

“Some Africans entered the vans peacefully but others tried to flee and the police used force,” added Wang, who works on the street frequented by young foreigners.

Other witnesses said the troops targeted anyone on the street with dark skin.

The Ministry of Public Security and the Beijing police both declined immediate comment. Chinese police rarely get involved with foreigners if they can help it, owing mainly to poor foreign language skills.

As we can see from the South China Morning Post article below, the key point is the wild nature of the police operation in which anyone who was black was targeted.

Dozens of black tourists and expatriates, including the son of the Grenadian ambassador, were arrested and some badly beaten during an apparently indiscriminate anti-drug operation by Beijing police.

About 30 men, mostly African or Caribbean, were detained as dozens of baton-wielding security guards and uniformed police swept through Beijing’s nightlife district, Sanlitun. Students, tourists and the ambassador’s son Joslyn Whiteman Jnr were among those wrestled to the ground, handcuffed and hauled to a nearby police station.

At least three people, including Mr Whiteman, were beaten with rubber truncheons despite few signs that they were resisting arrest.

Grenadian ambassador Joslyn Whiteman said he was furious at the way his son was treated. The 22-year-old spent a night in hospital with a concussion.

“Obviously I’m very angry,” the ambassador said. “My son was arrested and beaten for no reason whatsoever. I will be taking this up with the authorities and looking into the matter.”

Witnesses said the round-up appeared to be aimed squarely at black men. Those who tried to photograph the incident were made to delete the images from their mobile phones and cameras.

“It was pretty brutal,” Beijing-based magazine editor Alex Reid said.

“I saw a man being beaten by six guys in camouflage. He was covered in blood. The police seemed to be targeting anyone who was black.”

Thabo Lieket, a 24-year-old student from Lesotho, was among those arrested and later released without charge. He thought the police assumed he was dealing in drugs because he was black, he said.

“They were rounding up all the black people; it was pretty frightening,” he said. “I was walking with some friends past one of the bars when I was grabbed by some of the guys in camouflage. They dragged us all to the police station, where we were put in the same cell.”

When asked about the incident, a police officer at the Sanlitun station said: “This is an anti-drug operation.”

http://www.beijingnewspeak.com/2007/09/ ... gs-police/
Last edited by CaliG on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Postby CaliG on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:04 pm

Mike Strong wrote:Last time I was in Shanghai, I got a lot of offers from Central Asian types wanting to sell me hash, but I thought, even if I don't get rippped off, and I end up with some rightous hashish...

... where am I gonna find a hashpipe ?

I didn't see a lot of headshops, and I'm a back-alley troller. :-\

A cigarette? ;)
Last edited by CaliG on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Postby Mike Strong on Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:18 pm

Fruits and vegtables are for eatting, and I don't smoke tobbaco, ...

... and I was taking a piece of cardboard with a pin stuck though it, sticking a chunk of hash on it, then lighting it, and covering it with a pint glass to trap the smoke, and sip a hit straight to the head BEFORE MOST OF YOU SMART ALECKS WERE BORN !!! >:( :) ;) 8-)

... oh, and the majority of Chinese are racist zenophobes, - who knew? ::)
Last edited by Mike Strong on Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Strong

Postby I-mon on Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:12 am

Mike Strong wrote:Fruits and vegtables are for eatting

precisely why the apple pipe is the sneakiest of all smoking devices. one simply eats the (delicious - it's important to use high-quality crisp juicy apples to cool the smoke as it goes through) evidence and goes on ones merry way. the perfect crime. 8-)

I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:22 am

Mike Strong wrote:... oh, and the majority of Chinese are racist zenophobes, - who knew? ::)

If I was into changing signatures, I would make that my new one. Unfortunately, I am keeping the same old one. ;D
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic