Star Wars Clone Wars discussion thread

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Star Wars Clone Wars discussion thread

Postby chud on Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:05 pm

Anyone seen it yet? I plan to go tomorrow, with my kids.

Here's the movie's official site: starwars.com
chud
Great Old One

Re: Star Wars Clone Wars discussion thread

Postby nianfong on Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:21 pm

tell me how it is. esp if it's any better than the cartoon network one.
Last edited by nianfong on Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby ParryPerson on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:06 am

I was so disgusted and it was so awful it almost became the 2nd movie in history I have ever walked out on. I'm a pretty die hard fan to, but not even the name and setting can save this.
Discuss internal martial arts on IRC! Channel: #internalarts Server: EFnet
Myspace Baguazhang Group! http://groups.myspace.com/pakua
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby Bao on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:30 am

If you have seen the ridiculous trailers with that terrible animation, how can you even consider watching it?

edit: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1185834/#comment Current IMDB user rating = 5.6/10
Last edited by Bao on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:26 pm

It's got good and bad moments. It's not a movie though.. should've been the season premiere for the TV series. The whole plot of Jabba's lost son is not nearly enough to sustain an entire film.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby Mut on Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:52 am

This film was FUCKIN SHIT!!!!!!!!! I saw it with 2 of my boys and would have walked out if they where not there with me.... That would have made it the second film i have walked out on after 'Troy' which was fuckin shit too... but that is another story. Seriously do not bother with this, watch the cartoon clone wars instead, far, far better.... in fact the best star wars thing since the original trilogy in my estimation.

this film had great animation i thought (aside from Ani) and i liked the innovative introduction, a clever departure from the usual Star Wars intro. But the Plot was no good and the dialogue was even worse than the films.... Ani and his padwan where exceptionally cringworthy. The story does not really fit with the cartoon series either I thought.

anyhow it was FUCKIN SHIT do not waste your time with it
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:00 am

Bao wrote:If you have seen the ridiculous trailers with that terrible animation, how can you even consider watching it?

Exactly what I was thinking. That CGI is freakin' awful. :-X
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:18 am

Mut wrote:This film was FUCKIN SHIT!!!!!!!!! I saw it with 2 of my boys and would have walked out if they where not there with me.... That would have made it the second film i have walked out on after 'Troy' which was fuckin shit too... but that is another story. Seriously do not bother with this, watch the cartoon clone wars instead, far, far better.... in fact the best star wars thing since the original trilogy in my estimation.

this film had great animation i thought (aside from Ani) and i liked the innovative introduction, a clever departure from the usual Star Wars intro. But the Plot was no good and the dialogue was even worse than the films.... Ani and his padwan where exceptionally cringworthy. The story does not really fit with the cartoon series either I thought.

anyhow it was FUCKIN SHIT do not waste your time with it

Just wondering... how do you figure it doesn't fit with the Gennedy Tartokovsky Clone Wars mirco-series? It's clearly set between Chapther 21 and 22-25(which lead directly into Revenge of the Sith by maybe a month or a few weeks or days). In essence, this movie and the TV series coming from it pick up from after Anakin's knighting ceremony in the Jedi Council chambers in Chapter 21 to whenever the series ends.

It's the books and comic books and the timeline set there in the 3 years between AOTC and ROTS that is causing the most problems for people in terms of continuity.

Like I said, this thing was made for TV... it's not a movie. It's 3 episodes edited together, hence the often repetitive restating of the plot by the characters. It's got strengths and significant weaknesses for a theatrical release.
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby Mut on Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:01 pm

It does not fit in that the Sith assassin appears to die in ch 19-20.... sure she may not have died but there is clear reference to her defeat (and implied death)in chapter 21(?) when The council decides to elevate Anakin from Padwan to knight. In the movie obi-wan is not in the least bit surprised to see her, nor is Anikin. This does not fit.... surely there would be some mention there. It is not clearly set in the period you suggest. I only skimmed through before and may take the time to watch it later but I cannot tell where it fits in.... clearly it is before the end of ch 25 and clearly it is after chapter 21.... where though i can't see, it is not clear.

In terms of cinematic release it is a complete dud. The dialog was twee, it made my stomach churn. The animated series had far better dialog than the movie. It was droll.

For me the animated series was a huge redemption of the Stars Wars world and this movie which i was very excited to see was a spiral back to the unintelligent crap of previous offerings.
Last edited by Mut on Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby MasterKiller on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:56 am

I walked out on this. I thought the animation was good, but jesus christ Ashoka the padawan girl was a bitch. She refers to Anakin, her teacher, as "Sky Guy" and constantly berates him and questions his authority. You are supposed to think she is spunky, but I was just extremely annoyed. It was all downhill 10 minutes in when she tells a Clone captain that she technically outranks him since she is a Jedi. During their first battle, she ignores several of Anakin's instructions and almost gets them killed, gets mad when Anakin doesn't praise her for her effort, then brags to a bunch of troops about how she saved Anakin's life. Does Lucas even remember what a Jedi is supposed to be?
He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher--Walt Whitman.
MasterKiller
Santi

Postby chud on Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:02 am

Mut wrote:For me the animated series was a huge redemption of the Stars Wars world and this movie which i was very excited to see was a spiral back to the unintelligent crap of previous offerings.

I agree that the Tartokovsky animated Clone Wars mini-series that was made for Cartoon Network was really good, I have it on DVD and it is actually better than most of the movies.

I didn't get to see the Clone Wars movie this weekend though, I got pulled in to the office due to a down server. I'll probably take the kids to see it despite the bad reviews I'm reading everywhere, but I'm cringing because I have a feeling I'm really gonna hate it.
chud
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:11 pm

Mut wrote:It does not fit in that the Sith assassin appears to die in ch 19-20.... sure she may not have died but there is clear reference to her defeat (and implied death)in chapter 21(?) when The council decides to elevate Anakin from Padwan to knight. In the movie obi-wan is not in the least bit surprised to see her, nor is Anikin. This does not fit.... surely there would be some mention there. It is not clearly set in the period you suggest. I only skimmed through before and may take the time to watch it later but I cannot tell where it fits in.... clearly it is before the end of ch 25 and clearly it is after chapter 21.... where though i can't see, it is not clear.

In terms of cinematic release it is a complete dud. The dialog was twee, it made my stomach churn. The animated series had far better dialog than the movie. It was droll.

For me the animated series was a huge redemption of the Stars Wars world and this movie which i was very excited to see was a spiral back to the unintelligent crap of previous offerings.

See, that's part of the problem. You don't have any idea of Asajj Ventress' background. Her first appearance was in the comics... and she continued to appear in the comics until what was initially like 6 months before ROTS. Even then, it's after she was supposedly killed by Anakin on Coruscant and Obi-Wan's convinced she's still alive(this story was called Obsession) and they find her in a Seperatist stronghold in a bacta tank with a cybernetic eye. She fights Obi-Wan but then Dooku abandons her and Obi-Wan's trying to redeem her. Anakin delivers a supposedly fatal blow. She then wakes up on a med shuttle and tells them to fly her far away from Jedi AND Sith.

It's a convoluted tale, but this is space opera. If you don't see the body they aren't dead. You know? There's an old Star Wars novel called Splinter of the Mind's Eye that takes place between ANH and ESB where Luke fights Vader and wins because Obi-Wan's spirit guides Luke's hand in the fight. Vader falls down a pit. It's all part of Star Wars lore and was, in fact, a story that George Lucas was going to use if he didn't make enough money to do ESB. It would've been a low budget TV movie.

Like I said, this story takes place in a huge chunk of time not covered by the first cartoon. That one goes from being very early in the war to the invasion of Coruscant that happens right before ROTS. It's not inconsistent. The only inconsistency is them not explaining internally how it is Ventress survived that first fight with Skywalker and why Kenobi and Skywalker both still expect to see her.
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby Mut on Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:46 pm

The only inconsistency is them not explaining internally how it is Ventress survived that first fight with Skywalker and why Kenobi and Skywalker both still expect to see her.
Yes that is the problem for me apart from the cringeworthy dialog. I don't read the books, I have seen the cartoon the story does not fit. Splinter in the minds eye is self contained. It does not effect the narrative from Ep 4 to 5, at least from a moviegoers viewpoint. Whereas this film does effect the narrative. Basically from this film there is a great big hole that has not been covered, which in itself is no real problem but what is in that hole effects the linking of this film. Things do not really make much sense
Mut
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:54 pm

Mut wrote:
The only inconsistency is them not explaining internally how it is Ventress survived that first fight with Skywalker and why Kenobi and Skywalker both still expect to see her.
Yes that is the problem for me apart from the cringeworthy dialog. I don't read the books, I have seen the cartoon the story does not fit. Splinter in the minds eye is self contained. It does not effect the narrative from Ep 4 to 5, at least from a moviegoers viewpoint. Whereas this film does effect the narrative. Basically from this film there is a great big hole that has not been covered, which in itself is no real problem but what is in that hole effects the linking of this film. Things do not really make much sense

I think there's more than enough reason to hand wave that supposedly continuity blunder. Trust me, there are WAAAY more continuity blunders for the big EU fans that has their panties in a bunch. Like, giving Anakin a padawan that's no where to be seen in ROTS... or completely changing the entire Clone Wars timeline because there are numerous books and comics that came out between 02 and 05 that had definitive dates for each book or comic and the events that happened there. There's an established continuity with Anakin Skywalker not yet having been elevated to Jedi Knight until late in the war, now he's a Knight early in the war and there's probably 20 stories that need to be shifted to being crammed within the first few months of the Clone Wars to make room for this new Clone Wars movie, TV series and the novels and comics that are spun off from it.

Anakin's padawan = the worst idea ever.
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby Mut on Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:33 pm

I think there's more than enough reason to hand wave that supposedly continuity blunder. Trust me, there are WAAAY more continuity blunders for the big EU fans that has their panties in a bunch. Like, giving Anakin a padawan that's no where to be seen in ROTS... or completely changing the entire Clone Wars timeline because there are numerous books and comics that came out between 02 and 05 that had definitive dates for each book or comic and the events that happened there. There's an established continuity with Anakin Skywalker not yet having been elevated to Jedi Knight until late in the war, now he's a Knight early in the war and there's probably 20 stories that need to be shifted to being crammed within the first few months of the Clone Wars to make room for this new Clone Wars movie, TV series and the novels and comics that are spun off from it.

Anakin's padawan = the worst idea ever.

so we agree is was no good then? ;D
Mut
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic