LIGHTNING

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

LIGHTNING

Postby kenneth delves on Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:31 pm

The Olympics saw the peak performance of a super super star Michael Phelps, probably his last Olympics . As one fades another comes up -anyone who saw Bolt's 100m saw a level of domination on the track not seen since Michael Johnson retired. He could take the record down to 9.6. He also is tall with a physique more associated with the 800m than the sprints and I feel if he turned his mind to it and avoided injuries could own all the records up to 1500m
kenneth delves
Great Old One

Re: LIGHTNING

Postby Steve James on Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:18 pm

That was the most impressive thing I've seen in the whole Olympics so far. I think he could have broken 9.5 --and I'm sorry that he didn't try. He's got the confidence, but it also takes a bit of luck. He could get injured, or have runs disallowed because of wind. As far as other races, imo, the one sure bet is the 200. It's unusual for 100 meter guys to be good 400 meter guys --the last 100 usually blows them up. Otoh, if Bolt has the stamina, he might be the first to break 40 secs. M. Johnson's record is 43 something. Hey, ya never know, they both wore the same shoes :) Well, not the "same" shoes, just the same color.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby affa on Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:27 pm

Steve James wrote: they both wore the same shoes :) Well, not the "same" shoes, just the same color.

Ha ha! i knew you were a categorical thinker ;D
16, 76, 81, 88, 93
21, 28, 38, 52, 78
7, 40, 56, 73, 87
23, 65, 82, 91, 95
2, 6, 10, 46, 95
affa
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:15 pm

Hey, have ya'll heard the rumors that the Jamaican team may have been doping...? ...er, I know how that sounds, but I mean "performance enhancing" drugs, not the recreational kind. Anyway, the Jamaicans are in a catch-22. Some are complaining that Jamaica is so small that it's hard to do proper drug testing. Otoh, Jamaica is so small that it's almost beyond belief that they've been able to get the designer untestable drug, but no other countries have. Could it be Ben Johnson all over again? The uncertainty is a problem.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:17 pm

Oh, as for categories, Cullen Jones was the most important story in swimming for some people. You're too young to remember Joe Frazier and the Superstars, though.
Steve James
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic